What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Came home today to find that my heater in my 5.5g died a fiery death taking with it my 7 CPDs and 10 orange shrimp:(. I really loved watching that tank too! Now I have to start over...

Sorry to hear that. Which heater was it? I want to know so I don't buy it.

Sorry to hear that. Which heater was it? I want to know so I don't buy it.

Honestly I don't even remember. I don't even remember buying it. All I know is that it was one of my oldest heaters. I'm now replacing all heaters that I've had longer than 2 years, hopefully that'll curve any issues that might arise in the future.

Started spring cleaning.

Sorry to hear about your disaster AquaKai. That is awful. I hope your rebuild goes smoothly.

My filter stopped in my Chi then the next day my 12G Edge filter stopped too. The Chi seems to have just died. No humming. The Edge is making a little noise, doing a little more checking with the impeller.

So weird 2 in 2 days, and about 1.5 weeks ago my little 2.5G filter impeller fell apart, so of course that one is out of commission. Maybe they just last 2 - 3 years or something, lol!

Picked up a 35g drilled tank with surface skimmer intact for $50 & 2 filters included. I have some spare tanks so i might make a sump and just keep this FW for the time being, but i am very tempted to try salt. I was not told this was a drilled tank when i spotted the ad on a facebook buy swap and sell group, but i'm pleased that i can do a SW tank now when i feel the urge.

Started spring cleaning.

Sorry to hear about your disaster AquaKai. That is awful. I hope your rebuild goes smoothly.

My filter stopped in my Chi then the next day my 12G Edge filter stopped too. The Chi seems to have just died. No humming. The Edge is making a little noise, doing a little more checking with the impeller.

So weird 2 in 2 days, and about 1.5 weeks ago my little 2.5G filter impeller fell apart, so of course that one is out of commission. Maybe they just last 2 - 3 years or something, lol!

once one thing goes the rest follows
I just ordered all new pumps and filters for that reason
they just don't make things to last anymore
think the avg life for filters and stuff today are 2 yrs if your lucky
I have one filter on my feeder tank that's got to be close to 30 yrs and still runs like new it just looks prehistoric
I miss the good ole days omg does that mean I'm old lmao

I didnt do anything yet, but I made a video on youtube about fish

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Came home today to find my mystery snails hatched!
I placed them into my 20 gallon planted tank, and sprinkled some betta food for them.
I also found out that my brine shrimp hatched, so I fed some to my baby bettas.
Started another brine shrimp batch and sold some duckweed.
Fed all my fish, and sold my java moss. Weekend, here I come! ;) Only to work tomorrow hahahaha at least I get to scrub more fish tanks. xD

Came home today to find my mystery snails hatched!

I placed them into my 20 gallon planted tank, and sprinkled some betta food for them.

I also found out that my brine shrimp hatched, so I fed some to my baby bettas.

Started another brine shrimp batch and sold some duckweed.

Fed all my fish, and sold my java moss. Weekend, here I come! ;) Only to work tomorrow hahahaha at least I get to scrub more fish tanks. xD

You certainly have been busy! Not me. Fed the fish, ferts/glut, stared at the tanks for about 5 min each.
My excuse is: It's college basketball time. Yes!

once one thing goes the rest follows
I just ordered all new pumps and filters for that reason
they just don't make things to last anymore
think the avg life for filters and stuff today are 2 yrs if your lucky
I have one filter on my feeder tank that's got to be close to 30 yrs and still runs like new it just looks prehistoric
I miss the good ole days omg does that mean I'm old lmao

Yup!

Well you may be "old" but I am blind, :/ and kinda old, well the lack of humming noise in my Chi and the humming noise in the other tank was the air pump rattling the table.

Somebody disconnected one wire/extension cord which was way on the plug side and not the tank side and then I missed the unplugged cord due to the really large mass of cords powering my watery wonderland.

So the positive was that the Chi started up again. Right away. The 12G Edge didn't start up but I left for work and when I got home it was going!

I know both of the questionable filters are very iffy... sometimes having problems so I will buy a new one next week just in case.

Seaweed, are you going to the CAS auction tomorrow? Hope your new supplies /equipment give you good service!

Auction Fun!!!

Well I came away with toooooooo much, lol!
---
The best thing I got was 5 Orange Lazer Corys for $40. They are little guys, but they will go with my one Orange Lazer Cory I found in a tank of mixed Cories. They are hard to find locally.

Melanotaenia Parkinsoni Male Rainbow $10 too much but it was so cute.

A 4" White crayfish for $10.

4 diamond Tetras for $4

4 Cardinal Tetras to go with my little school $5.

Everybody is in QT. Looking very happy. The Rainbow went from pale to vibrant just in the bag waiting to go into the tank!!!

A GIANT anubias coffeefolia for $14 about 20 leaves and a flower and a small one for $5.

A half 5 gal bucket of misc size Bioballs for 1.60

A bag with probably 30+, long stems of guppy grass, floating around in a ball about the size of a volleybal, lol for $7. Hoping the Angel fish pair will now have enough privacy to get some wigglers.

Box of misc stuff SW porous rock and some dead corals for the someday to be SW tank. A slate with a DW for the big Anubias, and Petrified Wood Stone. $4.00

The other half of the box was donated to the tanks in schools group also a bunch of foods and other rocks and decorations.

Grab bags of green aquarium lights and ~8oz Japanese Hikari Gold Betta pellets and goldfish food, also tank starter 2 bags x $1 each!!! Great deal for the Betta food, good thing I didn't just buy some!

Opalized Fossil ammonite 2.5+" for $5.

Coralife 24" light fixture single Compact Plant bulb for $15.

80 lbs of quartz gravel for $4. Donated to the tanks in schools guys.

Cool sponge filter with 4 petals / spade looking parts on it for 3.50

:dance:

WOW was that FUN!!! :dance:

Sold my 75g freshwater setup, received the master reef test kit and wave maker I ordered, added shovel nose lobster 1 in the 29g and 1 in the 46g, and a porcupine puffer to the 46g.

I had some overdue tasks to complete this weekend which i'm calling "Operation extreme water change". It had a few stages i had to complete throughout the day.
Goals
- Add fresh water to two tanks.
- Remove all surviving Kuhli Loach (?/6) for transfer to a Kuhli & Red Cherry Shrimp tank. This has been postponed for a while due to illness having been present in the community tank. Illness has been gone now for three weeks so i'm doing it finally.
- Acclimatize 2 Harlequin Rasbora for entry into the community tank.
-Acclimatize ?/6 surviving Kuhli into above mentioned tank.

How i did it.
To achieve this i had planned exactly how and when i needed to get things done. I first emptied the QT tank down to 25-35% in the morning. I gradually added about 1 cup full of CT (Community tank) water about every 20-30minutes through the day until it was at 100% then emptied to 50% and refilled with CT water three times. Not sure how long it took but i'd say the amount of original water in QT was pretty low. CT tank now down by about 10%. I removed about 3 litres more into a 10 litre bucket and moved on to step 2.

Step 2 was more difficult. With a reduced water level i now had the difficult task of chasing down however many surviving Kuhli i had of the 6 i added. The good news is i have a perfect record for keeping Kuhli at this time. I own 14 now and they're all looking healthy but not all happy quite yet. I still have to drip acclimatize my original 6. Work in progress. The sad thing about this is that i had to tear out all the plants in 1/4 of my tank to catch them all. I wasquite happy when i found the last Kuhli by pulling up a plant with him hiding below. I thought i had lost one after having spent a few minutes searching for a Kuhli that may or may not have been eaten. I wanted to trim some Dwarf chain sword runners and he was under one so i won at pokemon by catching them all. I got a laugh from my large bristlenose plec during this stage. I have a stick as driftwood because i didn't want to rescape when i got a plec. The plec clung to the driftwood when i moved it like a leech to skin. If the driftwood was leaving so was the pleco :lol:. 6 Kuhli out now for completion of stage 1.

I had pretty much acclimated the Rasboras by this stage. The tank temps were well matched so it was just a scoop and transfer affair for those two lucky devils. They avoided the stress of a partial tank teardown and my hand chasing Kuhlis towards a net. They're now happily swimming with the flock (6 after illness took 2).

All i have left to do now is to acclimatize my kuhlis, do a replant and maybe throw in a larger bit of driftwood so my poor plec doesn't need to cling to a stick for protection (wimp) :nono:. I'll also add fresh water i prepared this morning to the two tanks i have worked on. Cleaning the QT can wait till tomorrow since i need to disinfect a hospital tank that lost it's patient. Assuming the 8 fish i transferred today all make it through acclimation & the settling in period this was a day well spent. I wanted to move the Kuhli to where i can monitor their food better and they will be happier with the other 8 i own in a tank designed with Kuhli in mind.

I went to petsmart and got

The Aqueon t5 dual lighting for live plants.
The alert combo test kit ( ordering API)
Bacteria in a bottle (why not)

I also

Bought a new power chord for tank
Tested my new rocks, all good
Made a cave
And seeded my tank

Back
Top Bottom