What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing with my tank, but Im getting help with diagnosing sickness and potential sickness:( from the nice people here at AA. :)

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Finally figured out the difference between the real 'green terror' and the false green terror. The false green terror is the Rivalatus, and can see differnce in the colouration/markings between the two. On that basis, ive positvely identified mine as the Rivalatus, which is apparently far less agressive than the other one. Good news for when it grows!

Well last night as I was cleaning a tank and moving a fish, my Elephant Ear Betta was a dumbo and jumped out of the cup. It was a while between what I was doing and went over to get him and he wasn't in the cup. Now I normally put another cup on top or a net, but there was so much going on I spaced it, so two dumbos can make a catastrophe. Remember folks to put a cover over the fish, and still leave air for him to breathe. :facepalm:

I found him on a towel I had on the floor to mop up with. The towel sucked out his moisture and I was panicked because he was kinda stuck to the towel and didn't look like he was even breathing. Just a dried looking Betta pellet.

After getting him into the water and added some StressCoat, and a bubbler since he was laying flat on the bottom and his fins weren't moving, they were stiff, so I figured at least maybe could get air with his gills. Then finally the tiniest movement in his gills. I added more StressCoat and got a overflow plant bucket with plants in it all cleaned out with some nice comfy warm fresh clean water. More StressCoat in there too, and the air bubbler. I added a floating Betta log I got in a box of stuff from the auction also. He has lots of moss and plants to rest in and the water is only about 7" so he doesn't have to swim too far to get to the top for air.

This morning I am happy to report he is alive and looks re-hydrated and moves around/swims a little. It is hard to see how his skin looks because it is an opaque bucket so I can't see through the side. Hoping no lasting negative effects.

Did complete water change on my 2.5G for the small Betta to move over to. Have to take out one of my spare Whisper in tank filters for it because of the impeller being broken on the stock filter.

Saw some of the heaters I was previously looking at were on sale so probably going by to pick one of those up to have a spare.

Cleaned my prefilter sponge on the 37G and connected it back onto the intake tube. Doing pwc on 12G and 5G Chi and QT tank.

At the CAS auction I got a really cool piece of planted driftwood covered in several variations of anubias and java fern. Also got a super colorful pair of Gardineri Killifish. Also sold around 100$ worth of plants and old equipment.

Just went full maintainence mode on all 4 of my tanks!! So many buckets.. Brought a dead ac20 back to life.. One more small wc and I can relax.. Thank goodness for music and beer:) I don't know what I'd do.. Than again dancing around with a full 5 gal bucket.. Made it to the tank with 3 gal left! Yippie!! Mop up!! Aisle 7!!!

Last edited:
Well last night as I was cleaning a tank and moving a fish, my Elephant Ear Betta was a dumbo and jumped out of the cup. It was a while between what I was doing and went over to get him and he wasn't in the cup. Now I normally put another cup on top or a net, but there was so much going on I spaced it, so two dumbos can make a catastrophe. Remember folks to put a cover over the fish, and still leave air for him to breathe. :facepalm:

I found him on a towel I had on the floor to mop up with. The towel sucked out his moisture and I was panicked because he was kinda stuck to the towel and didn't look like he was even breathing. Just a dried looking Betta pellet.

After getting him into the water and added some StressCoat, and a bubbler since he was laying flat on the bottom and his fins weren't moving, they were stiff, so I figured at least maybe could get air with his gills. Then finally the tiniest movement in his gills. I added more StressCoat and got a overflow plant bucket with plants in it all cleaned out with some nice comfy warm fresh clean water. More StressCoat in there too, and the air bubbler. I added a floating Betta log I got in a box of stuff from the auction also. He has lots of moss and plants to rest in and the water is only about 7" so he doesn't have to swim too far to get to the top for air.

This morning I am happy to report he is alive and looks re-hydrated and moves around/swims a little. It is hard to see how his skin looks because it is an opaque bucket so I can't see through the side. Hoping no lasting negative effects.

Did complete water change on my 2.5G for the small Betta to move over to. Have to take out one of my spare Whisper in tank filters for it because of the impeller being broken on the stock filter.

Saw some of the heaters I was previously looking at were on sale so probably going by to pick one of those up to have a spare.

Cleaned my prefilter sponge on the 37G and connected it back onto the intake tube. Doing pwc on 12G and 5G Chi and QT tank.

Hope your Betta recovers!

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

update

The Betta seems alive and has moved locations today a couple times. Thank you all for the good wishes for him. He is so pretty and has a friendly disposition so I would miss him. I added a little more StressCoat since it helps his slime coat.

Finished the pwc and also did a quick vac on the 72G and the new White Crayfish was running around exploring and I took a pic, then took a pic of the new Rainbow, Melanotaenia parkinsoni, too.

60074-albums11380-picture66039.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture66040.jpg

The Betta seems alive and has moved locations today a couple times. Thank you all for the good wishes for him. He is so pretty and has a friendly disposition so I would miss him. I added a little more StressCoat since it helps his slime coat.

Finished the pwc and also did a quick vac on the 72G and the new White Crayfish was running around exploring and I took a pic, then took a pic of the new Rainbow, Melanotaenia parkinsoni, too.

60074-albums11380-picture66039.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture66040.jpg

Love the Cray fish! When did you get that? I really want one of those :) glad your betta is doing ok i miss my dumbo such beautiful fish.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did a 75 % water change dosed with prime cleaned all the glass including the hood and fed my friends trying to get crystal clear water again. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395614158.146241.jpg

Cleaned my gravel scrubbed the side and did a 30 percent warpter change in my 10 gal

Finally got around to measure the amount of water in the water change pail. It's an old Reef Crystal container. It's 5 gallons. I thought it was more (7.5-10 gallons). So I've been reporting a higher water change percentage than it actually is. IMO knowing what the nitrate level is and how much of a water change brings it back to the target range is more important than an arbitrary percentage. If I did 50% WCs that would be great but 25-35% seems to work in this tank (probably 50% stocked, med-heavily planted).
Come to think of it, the water change pail I've been using strongly resembles the 5 gallon pails they sell at hardware stores.

It's safe to say that Kuhli Loach are my favorite fish at the moment and now that i have 14 in a tank together they are becoming a lot more fun to watch. The 6 i had in my community tank were very shy and always hidden. I started a Kuhli only tank (with RCS cleaning crew) and placed 8 in there which come out to swim laps when the filter goes off. The older stock i had were rarely seen in their community tank. The good news is that since adding the original 6 to the 8 recent purchases they're all having a massive Kuhli party together now. It took me about 2.5 months to get to see the first batch of them i bought playing in the open but they seem very happy to be out and about today. A couple of them that i thought had died even stopped to human watch at the front of the tank. They are FAT though. I guess 2.5 months in Al's kitchen will put some weight on you. I would say the new stock are 1/4 as thick around the middle as the original group that i have had a chance to fatten up. I thought my big pleco in the community tank was eating most of the food, but my Kuhli were evidently getting plenty too.

Must go and do more Kuhli watching.

60 % clean on my elephant nose tank, new shrimp arriving tomorrow still not sure which tank too put them :confused:
My colombian snail has ate my plants in my shrimp tank so looks like i need to buy more!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom