What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going to dose second day of Paraguard for my bettas fin rot.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got a cow fish (dalmation molly) for the little guy off freecycle, (he's in love)
bought some cherry shrimp for $1 a piece off craigslist and finally completed my shrimp tank (1.5 gallon, UG filter, lightly planted, in the window!) I am so excited to finally get my little shrimps. They are so small!
Got plant lights!!!! they came with a 20 gallon long & the filter,
scrubbed the heck out of the most calcified filter ever, before plopping it in vinegar.
Took 15 various little plants out of the nasty 20 gallon (all covered in brown hair algae), put them in a dark container with tank water hoping to kill the algae and not the plants.
Took pictures of my planted bowl,
fed all the fish,
did a happy dance and I keep going to look at my shrimp! I love them! (the dishes will get washed eventually!)

Got a cow fish (dalmation molly) for the little guy off freecycle, (he's in love)
bought some cherry shrimp for $1 a piece off craigslist and finally completed my shrimp tank (1.5 gallon, UG filter, lightly planted, in the window!) I am so excited to finally get my little shrimps. They are so small!
Got plant lights!!!! they came with a 20 gallon long & the filter,
scrubbed the heck out of the most calcified filter ever, before plopping it in vinegar.
Took 15 various little plants out of the nasty 20 gallon (all covered in brown hair algae), put them in a dark container with tank water hoping to kill the algae and not the plants.
Took pictures of my planted bowl,
fed all the fish,
did a happy dance and I keep going to look at my shrimp! I love them! (the dishes will get washed eventually!)

Wow, lots of great deals! Would a planted 1g RCS bowl/tank need a heater?

Wow, lots of great deals! Would a planted 1g RCS bowl/tank need a heater?
I kept one which was my 2.5G bowl with plants mostly floating like a jungle and some plants growing out the top with culled RCS and then with Blue Cherry Shrimp and both did fine with no heater. I monitored the temps and it was about 72F. They were in the kitchen and not near any drafts. It was the warmest room in the house. Occasionally they got around 68F.

I put a little 1-3G ZooMed heater in a different bowl, a 3G, and I don't think it did much. It looks sort of round and flat, made for Betta bowls and can go under the sand. I did that in winter to keep them from getting too chilly. The shrimp don't breed much if they are chilly.

Shellyx That Cray came from the auction I went to Saturday. He is a cutie. I am keeping an eye on him to see how he treats the plants in the tank. Sometimes they like to trim things. Since he is white he shows up really well on the Eco Complete. I probably will regret getting him since they can cause all kinds of trouble in a tank. My friends blue Cray stayed in his cave area and rarely was seen anywhere else in the tank. So I am kinda hoping it finds a hideout and keeps to its own territory. So far though it has been hiding out in every area of the tank and hasn't found the right spot yet. Several of the other fish have spots staked out so they haven't wanted it in their nooks and crannies, lol.

Now to the sad part of the day.

My Koi Angel is sick, one of the mated pair, likely going to die. It is trying to move around but is just looking awful. And lays back down again.

And the QT tank from some of the fish from the Auction, I have just today found 3 of the 5 Laser Cories dead and one Neon out of 4. The Diamond Tetras seem alright. I just did 2 50% pwc and a 20% on the QT. So glad they are in QT.

And a almost 50% pwc on the Angel's breeding tank. The mate looks good right now, I will be getting some meds tomorrow. Hoping it is isolated issue. It is heart breaking to see. I am putting the Angel into a hospital bucket with a bubbler and heater and see how things go for the morning. Trying not to think about it.

The Betta is still doing alright. He is eating and moving around alright though there in some denting in his fins from drying out. But so far so good there.

I turned off my power heads and skimmer and fed the tank some Rotifers the scooter blennys and corals loved it especially my bonsai acro

I kept one which was my 2.5G bowl with plants mostly floating like a jungle and some plants growing out the top with culled RCS and then with Blue Cherry Shrimp and both did fine with no heater. I monitored the temps and it was about 72F. They were in the kitchen and not near any drafts. It was the warmest room in the house. Occasionally they got around 68F.

I put a little 1-3G ZooMed heater in a different bowl, a 3G, and I don't think it did much. It looks sort of round and flat, made for Betta bowls and can go under the sand. I did that in winter to keep them from getting too chilly. The shrimp don't breed much if they are chilly.

Shellyx That Cray came from the auction I went to Saturday. He is a cutie. I am keeping an eye on him to see how he treats the plants in the tank. Sometimes they like to trim things. Since he is white he shows up really well on the Eco Complete. I probably will regret getting him since they can cause all kinds of trouble in a tank. My friends blue Cray stayed in his cave area and rarely was seen anywhere else in the tank. So I am kinda hoping it finds a hideout and keeps to its own territory. So far though it has been hiding out in every area of the tank and hasn't found the right spot yet. Several of the other fish have spots staked out so they haven't wanted it in their nooks and crannies, lol.

Now to the sad part of the day.

My Koi Angel is sick, one of the mated pair, likely going to die. It is trying to move around but is just looking awful. And lays back down again.

And the QT tank from some of the fish from the Auction, I have just today found 3 of the 5 Laser Cories dead and one Neon out of 4. The Diamond Tetras seem alright. I just did 2 50% pwc and a 20% on the QT. So glad they are in QT.

And a almost 50% pwc on the Angel's breeding tank. The mate looks good right now, I will be getting some meds tomorrow. Hoping it is isolated issue. It is heart breaking to see. I am putting the Angel into a hospital bucket with a bubbler and heater and see how things go for the morning. Trying not to think about it.

The Betta is still doing alright. He is eating and moving around alright though there in some denting in his fins from drying out. But so far so good there.

Sorry to hear about your losses :( i hope your angel recovers for you i know how much you like them.

Waiting for my shrimp to arrive thinking they'll be safer in the Africans tank :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry to hear about your losses :( i hope your angel recovers for you i know how much you like them.

Waiting for my shrimp to arrive thinking they'll be safer in the Africans tank :)

Probably so, Gonzo doesn't need expensive shrimp snacks.

What kind of shrimp did you order/get?

The Angel is alive but still looking bad it is now in a hospital bucket with heat and air and some plants and some med.

Probably so, Gonzo doesn't need expensive shrimp snacks.

What kind of shrimp did you order/get?

The Angel is alive but still looking bad it is now in a hospital bucket with heat and air and some plants and some med.

They're rcs fire grade? I've put them in my African shrimp tank and they're doing fine swimming about but boy are they tiny!
Hope your angel improves let me know how things go :)

Autumnsky I hope your fish are ok! Losing fish is (I find) the hardest part of this hobby.

Did WC on all the tanks. I'm so tired now. :/ ha. But I also changed a few things around in my 30 gallon.

should I arrange it a different way?
Something feels off.

Really? I saw them at the pet store submerged, so I thought it was no big deal. I'll take them out and put them somewhere else. Can I leave them by a window so they can grow through the Suns light or bad idea?

Really? I saw them at the pet store submerged, so I thought it was no big deal. I'll take them out and put them somewhere else. Can I leave them by a window so they can grow through the Suns light or bad idea?

That's actually a good idea! Let them grow larger to fit in your tank and have the leaves sticking out! Don't do what a pet store does because 98% of the time, they are wrong!

Went and looked around at equipment for the pico reef I want to start soon. Looks like I will be ordering most stuff online. $30 for a 10watt heater? I don't think so!

I did a 25% water change on my 46 gallon african cichlid tank and did a little redecorating! I also did a 50% water change to get the fungus medicine out of my bettas tank because I'm finally done medicating! And she is better now! But I think she has cataracts, also did a 25% water change on my other betta tank! Lol

That's actually a good idea! Let them grow larger to fit in your tank and have the leaves sticking out! Don't do what a pet store does because 98% of the time, they are wrong!

Okay. I'll do that.
Hopefully they grow fast.
Next time I'll just ask here if I'm not sure. Thank you.

Upgraded my hob from a marine land 280 - which was absolutely garbage from the day I got it with what seemed to be an inferior and dated design to an ac70 which is absolutely shockingly quiet. I can't hear it at all what so ever over my air pump! For a 38g it's a perfect match I also got a prefilter for the intake. I also bought a few plastic plants. One to hide my exposed heater and some little ones for decoration, also I bought one glass top :) - tried to buy matrix media by seachem but my lfs was sold out.
And one pane of glass on the glass too is slightly too long so now I need to return it.

Bought a kent marine nano skimmer and a aquaone aquavis 700 canister filter that I'm gonna run as a sump on my new nano tank

Back
Top Bottom