What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. That's a LOT of cryptocoryne!

tagu3yqe.jpg

I am somewhat pleased. Might bunch it all together and get more plants/wood

Good idea. That seemed like too much.

Today I fed the fish, paid attention to them, that's just about it.

Had my water tested today, my nitrites and nitrates are climbing but ammonia is at zero. My pH is also too high for them. Tonight, Rose died. The guy at the store said to NOT do water changes but to add bioboost and a heater to quote "get them out of a funk". Sir, they have nitrate poisoning. They are sitting at the bottom, not eating at all, and stay in the same spots all day long. That water needs changed or else they will ALL die. You have to get those levels down and that is how you do it. I am not going two weeks without changing water. It just isn't healthy. And their temperature is fine, it stays stable on its own from the light and my room temp. It isn't heat and "in a funk". Smarty pants.
So I changed one of my two filter pads because even when I rinse it, the water overflows in the filter. I will do a water change as soon as I can in the morning when water warms up.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Had my water tested today, my nitrites and nitrates are climbing but ammonia is at zero. My pH is also too high for them. Tonight, Rose died. The guy at the store said to NOT do water changes but to add bioboost and a heater to quote "get them out of a funk". Sir, they have nitrate poisoning. They are sitting at the bottom, not eating at all, and stay in the same spots all day long. That water needs changed or else they will ALL die. You have to get those levels down and that is how you do it. I am not going two weeks without changing water. It just isn't healthy. And their temperature is fine, it stays stable on its own from the light and my room temp. It isn't heat and "in a funk". Smarty pants.
So I changed one of my two filter pads because even when I rinse it, the water overflows in the filter. I will do a water change as soon as I can in the morning when water warms up.

It sucks when people assume that the problem you have can be solved by buying chemicals and more equiptment. I agree with you, Do the water change:) I like to keep my nitrates <20ppm. Max. But most of my tanks are planted and I havent had any problems. I am sorry for your loss): I hope the rest of your fish pull through!

It sucks when people assume that the problem you have can be solved by buying chemicals and more equiptment. I agree with you, Do the water change:) I like to keep my nitrates <20ppm. Max. But most of my tanks are planted and I havent had any problems. I am sorry for your loss): I hope the rest of your fish pull through!

I knew something was really wrong when they all started staying at the bottom all day and won't eat. So I checked my ammonia and it was 0. I do not have the nitrite and nitrate tester yet, so I took it in. Surely enough my suspicions of nitrate poisoning was correct. I just needed to know the level. I don't think he knew what he was talking about.
Thank you. I hope I don't wake up or come home to my other couple fish dead, tomorrow. I will probably chew that guy out even though he seemed to not be having a good mental health day. I have been there, but if you can't perform, call off. Took him 30 mins to check my water and tell me all this. The other guy, I would have been in and out of the store with a water check, bioboost bacteria, and all info in 5 mins. I was like my fish are gonna keel over by the time you are finished.

I knew something was really wrong when they all started staying at the bottom all day and won't eat. So I checked my ammonia and it was 0. I do not have the nitrite and nitrate tester yet, so I took it in. Surely enough my suspicions of nitrate poisoning was correct. I just needed to know the level. The paper they check off even says 50% WC. I don't think he knew what he was talking about.
Thank you. I hope I don't wake up or come home to my other couple fish dead, tomorrow. I will probably chew that guy out even though he seemed to not be having a good mental health day. I have been there, but if you can't perform, call off. Took him 30 mins to check my water and tell me all this. The other guy, I would have been in and out of the store with a water check, bioboost bacteria, and all info in 5 mins. I was like my fish are gonna keel over by the time you are finished.

You're nitrRITEs are probably too high. But you needn't worry, because you know the solution and you'll be cycled soon enough. The nitrite spike is the last phase before you're done!

You're nitrRITEs are probably too high. But you needn't worry, because you know the solution and you'll be cycled soon enough. The nitrite spike is the last phase before you're done!

Had to go to work first thing and water was still cold. Yay almost done! I did get bioboost though for bacterial maintenance.

Had to go to work first thing and water was still cold. Yay almost done! I did get bioboost though for bacterial maintenance.

Bacteria will maintain themselves naturally one they become established.

50% WC on the 55 and the aquaponics system. The latter didn't really need it, but the pH was running a little high, probably because I'm overdosing the potassium carbonate. I love being able to at least get 2 uses out of my water now, though.

I switched my co2 diffuser around & now with a powerhead pointed right at my HC. Hoping that'll help it grow.

Bacteria will maintain themselves naturally one they become established.

I am going to add some since I replaced one cartridge. I think Blanche is in her way out as well. I just did the 50% WC, but I wonder if it is enough, now, to pull her through.

Attachments

• 1400271552717.jpg
    1400271552717.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 81
I am going to add some since I replaced one cartridge. I think Blanche is in her way out as well. I just did the 50% WC, but I wonder if it is enough, now, to pull her through.

IME 50% water change will do more harm than good, it changes the water chemistry too much and upsets the fish. That said, livebearers can be notoriously fickle and die off at times for little or no reason.

I don't change more than 15% of the water at any one time. I overfilter, and if i feel i need to change water, i do it every 3 days or so at < 15% amounts.

50 % clean on my elephant nose tank and added some more red ramshorn snails.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

IME 50% water change will do more harm than good, it changes the water chemistry too much and upsets the fish. That said, livebearers can be notoriously fickle and die off at times for little or no reason.

I don't change more than 15% of the water at any one time. I overfilter, and if i feel i need to change water, i do it every 3 days or so at < 15% amounts.

I would have done my weekly 50% today. I just did it a day ahead of time.

Have you checked your nitrates lately? Large, regular water changes are the best thing you can do to keep your fish healthy. Nitrates are NOT harmless, but they are far less harmful than nitrites and ammonia.

15% does little to change water chemistry, including toxin removal-the main reason for water changes.

Weekly water change, one day late. Fed plants. Took pic of newly planted Staurogyne repens. Watched mystery snails and corys feast on zucchini slice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom