What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I added 3 different types of tetras. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407615069.147467.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I feel like i post almost the same thing in here every week. I did my usual weekly water changes and a massive trim in my Kuhli tank. I fasted my little fishies yesterday. It isn't often that i can go a whole day without feeding my fish. Usually i can walk past them in the morning without caving but by nightfall their hungry looks make me give them a mercy feeding. Anyway after 1 day without food I had both of my two incredibly shy Plecos show themselves this morning when i made my first rounds of the tanks. They came to the front of the tank and gave me pleading looks like my comets usually do. I usually manage to spot one half hidden Pleco at a time through the week week but rarely see two out and about at once. Maybe i'll feel less guilty about starving my fish when i try to fast them this week.

And i also had a bit of a shock this week when my real estate sent me a bill for $1251 for three months water usage. They had written a little note explaining that i had accrued this bill for excess water use due to fish tanks. I was like WTF i have a lot of tanks but not THAT many. I change 60-90 litres a week, more often 60 and once a month i do a bigger WC. All of that waste water is used either on my herb garden or to flush the toilet so it's not wasted by my standards anyway. And i was annoyed because there is a single water meter for 4 flats/houses so they couldn't say it was me with any accuracy anyway. I am the only person in any of these flats that is not retired or a stay at home mum with 3 kids who also stay at home. By my logic i would think i would use less water than any of these other three flats when you take into account the 9 hours/day 5, days/week that i am not home washing hands, flushing toilets or using water in any of the 100 other ways i would if i weren't at work. I've lived in houses where i watered big gardens and ran sprinklers in summer and never went over a $50 water bill (which made me cut back on the watering of my gardens). I actually spoke to my LFS who run about 5 times as many tanks as i do and they were shocked and said they would back me up if i needed support fighting this bill (they would suffer too if i had to pay $5000 a year just to put water in my tanks because i'd be keeping Bettas in cups from here on). Anyway i also spoke to my neghbours and found out that one of them has a fairly big leak coming from her hot water system that they (real estate) have not fixed.

My tank cut me for 12 staples in my arm today .

Oh my goodness are you ok???? :eek:

I'm heading back home now, I'll see my lovely fishies in about 4 hours :) :) so excited haven't seen them in person in over a month

I feel like i post almost the same thing in here every week. I did my usual weekly water changes and a massive trim in my Kuhli tank. I fasted my little fishies yesterday. It isn't often that i can go a whole day without feeding my fish. Usually i can walk past them in the morning without caving but by nightfall their hungry looks make me give them a mercy feeding. Anyway after 1 day without food I had both of my two incredibly shy Plecos show themselves this morning when i made my first rounds of the tanks. They came to the front of the tank and gave me pleading looks like my comets usually do. I usually manage to spot one half hidden Pleco at a time through the week week but rarely see two out and about at once. Maybe i'll feel less guilty about starving my fish when i try to fast them this week.

And i also had a bit of a shock this week when my real estate sent me a bill for $1251 for three months water usage. They had written a little note explaining that i had accrued this bill for excess water use due to fish tanks. I was like WTF i have a lot of tanks but not THAT many. I change 60-90 litres a week, more often 60 and once a month i do a bigger WC. All of that waste water is used either on my herb garden or to flush the toilet so it's not wasted by my standards anyway. And i was annoyed because there is a single water meter for 4 flats/houses so they couldn't say it was me with any accuracy anyway. I am the only person in any of these flats that is not retired or a stay at home mum with 3 kids who also stay at home. By my logic i would think i would use less water than any of these other three flats when you take into account the 9 hours/day 5, days/week that i am not home washing hands, flushing toilets or using water in any of the 100 other ways i would if i weren't at work. I've lived in houses where i watered big gardens and ran sprinklers in summer and never went over a $50 water bill (which made me cut back on the watering of my gardens). I actually spoke to my LFS who run about 5 times as many tanks as i do and they were shocked and said they would back me up if i needed support fighting this bill (they would suffer too if i had to pay $5000 a year just to put water in my tanks because i'd be keeping Bettas in cups from here on). Anyway i also spoke to my neghbours and found out that one of them has a fairly big leak coming from her hot water system that they (real estate) have not fixed.

BIG Yikes...

My tank cut me for 12 staples in my arm today .

Double BIG YIKES!!!

Taking a tank apart, a piece of glass broke and my arm slipped right onto the jagged part... Not fun...
Very scary

I watched my fish and my SW Hermits and snails. Last week I threw in some Zebra Nerite shells (long deceased inhabitants) that had been in my FW, for the hermit crabs to have some bigger shells, but instead a little Nassarius Vibex (a sand stirring meat eating snail) popped out of the substrate when it smelled food and into the empty space inside the shell. I could only see its airtube or snorkle looking thing and it took it about 5 minutes for it to figure out how to get out of the shell. Had a good laugh. I was amused, but my DH didn't even think it was humorous. :/

One of the Blue Leg Hermits (SW) took over a 2" long Florida Cerith shell which is conical and pointy on the end. Just looks so funny to see it bumping that shell into everything because it is soooooo long. Here is a pic, you can't really see the Hermit well in the pic but you can see his crazy long shell, he's pretty small inside it!
60074-albums13960-picture67148.jpg

Here you can see the shells, but the one on the far right side was open side down, positioned as if it was trailing along the substrate.
60074-albums13960-picture67146.jpg

Pretty quiet around here

Big fish day for me, got some SW critters a red star, a Scooter Blenny, and a Royal Gramma.

SW- Sold a Xenia and decorative algae rock and some snails.

Then for the most exciting thing, I got a Golden Nugget Pleco L-018 he seems friendly and curious not really shy...and a new Angelfish.

Here are the pics
60074-albums11380-picture67247.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture67245.jpg

New Angelfish
60074-albums13946-picture67243.jpg

Did pwc on the SW QT and the DT.

Last edited:
Got back from a 5 day vacation yesterday, water changes are in order! Everyone survived- dropped in some broccoli before I left and my neighbor fed the goldfish once while I was gone. Visited the national aquarium in Baltimore and toured DC. Got plenty of pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got back from a 5 day vacation yesterday, water changes are in order! Everyone survived- dropped in some broccoli before I left and my neighbor fed the goldfish once while I was gone. Visited the national aquarium in Baltimore and toured DC. Got plenty of pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do they still have the rainforest exhibit on the top floor at the B'More aquarium? I think that was my favorite.

Pwc on SW QT. A moth or two got in there and it got disgusting.

Fed all the tanks defrosted frozen Tubifix, Baby Brine Shrimp, and regular Brine depending on the critters tastes and needs, lol.

My new Scooter Blenny was eating, (a lot) I watched him, thank goodness, I was concerned after it was pointed out to me I should have watched him eat at the store.

Moved some coral frags.

The Rainbows, Gouramis and Angels and Betta were crazy sucking up big blobs of worms.

I am going to try raising some kind of live micro worms for them I think. I meant to do this before and got distracted.

New fish are seemingly doing well.

Called the 2 lfs in my not so local area and they didn't have the SW Pods I was looking to add to my SW tank. The other stores I would also go to were in the opposite direction from work, so I will maybe get some tomorrow, also need more prepared SW and RO/DI water.

Need some liquid ferts for my tanks. And doing some local trading for some new plants for my tanks and my DD tank.

Top off evap today and pwc tomorrow!

Autumsky, love the Pleco . I purchased one for the 100g at my work but he was really shy & then up & died since he was the most expensive fish in there. Isn t that how that works?

I'm setting up a gourami breeding tank don't have right filter so had to do some rigging :) now just need to wait couple weeks to Establish bacteria colony's...

...Actually that's another thing Im going to do today is learn more about the bacteria colony's.

Just moved my two new bettas almost 400 miles by car yesterday and set them up, everything is going well so far.

Fed the fish today and can't find a platy, sometimes when the fish die the snails eat them before I can remove them so the tank turns cloudy, I'm planning on doing a large PWC today to make that go away.

Autumsky, love the Pleco . I purchased one for the 100g at my work but he was really shy & then up & died since he was the most expensive fish in there. Isn t that how that works?

Yup!

I ended up getting mine for a GREAT deal. He was 29.99, then 30% sale, then I got 20% off of that price. So about 16.80. I went back to the store to get the other one just as someone else was taking him home. In looking between the two fish I chose the better looking one, but I think mine is a female based on seeing the two together in the tank. He had torn fins so I picked the other, he seemed darker and more narrow around the center to tail than mine.

Just moved my two new bettas almost 400 miles by car yesterday and set them up, everything is going well so far.

Fed the fish today and can't find a platy, sometimes when the fish die the snails eat them before I can remove them so the tank turns cloudy, I'm planning on doing a large PWC today to make that go away.

Glad you will be home with your fish and your Bettas made it well!

I fed defrosted frozen bbs, brine shrimp and Tubifix worms again and the fish were practically doing flips out of the water to get them, lol!

SW Found my new Royal Grammas body in my substrate. New fish and didn't make the 2nd day. The Scooter Blenny is doing great I see him eating all day long. I am trying to get some extra pods for my HOB so there will continue to be an adequate supply for his gobbling. He really loves the bbs, baby brine shrimp! I fed a little worms and didn't see him eat them but they were gone an hour later.

Trying to arrange a few fish acquisitions and trade over the next week. A friend of mine is closing down one of her tanks and offered me her 2 SAE, Siamese Algae Eaters, they are appx 4 inches, for my 72G. I was very excited, as I really like them!

Back
Top Bottom