What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Discovered an awesome petco with great information and solid variety, picked up sand and a new master test kit, put aragonite sand in what was going to be a shellie tank until i found out they're illegal in Maine (

I saw your other post. Maine is outta it's mind. I feel bad for you as a hobbyist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Discovered an awesome petco with great information and solid variety, picked up sand and a new master test kit, put aragonite sand in what was going to be a shellie tank until i found out they're illegal in Maine (

I'm pretty sure its illegal to house turtles in Tennessee too. Apparently because of diseases. Used to catch them all the time when I was a kid and keep them as pets. Crazy.

Al so made fish food out of some zucchini that my goldfish provided the fertilizer for. That's an 8 inch chef knife. peeled, Chopped, blanched and frozen!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1409713269212.jpg
    1409713269212.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 1409713307827.jpg
    1409713307827.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 83
I saw your other post. Maine is outta it's mind. I feel bad for you as a hobbyist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yeah, I used to live in Connecticut, which had pretty fair restrictions, lots of great lfs, aquarium clubs; it was a great place to be a fishkeeper. It was a sad day when I left my 150 gallon and my clown loaches and my geophagus for college.

Here in Maine near me there's no lfs, no aquarium clubs, and now I think I know why- asinine laws. Now I have to either pay the $50 fee to get multi's reviewed for the list (and have no money left to buy the fish) or get them illegally and then I can't sell them to university students and try to get a university aquarium society going. And it's not like I can do anything else with a 20 gallon high with aragonite sand, shells and rift lake salts mixed in....

To stay on topic, this morning I made up my mind to make my other 20 high a softwater tank of some sort, so I ditched the carbon in the filter cartridge on my HOB and put in some peat.

That does it, I am not moving to Maine - asinine is right! You would think the aquarium society would lobby for some better laws, or the lfs, since it is in the interest of the lfs to make money.

Al so made fish food out of some zucchini that my goldfish provided the fertilizer for. That's an 8 inch chef knife. peeled, Chopped, blanched and frozen!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yummy!!! There are gonna be some happy fish come winter!

Ok, so been very busy.

Didn't end up getting the dd's friend's family's tank, pity too, as it was a bowfront 36 or 46G which would have been a very nice SW upgrade, bummer, but oh well... free woulda been nice. ;)

So finally had time to acclimate the rainbows into the 72G day before and then yesterday the school of 11 Cardinals. Rainbows are doing great. Cardinals don't seem to care for the big Angelfish and seem to stay very low right now. the Angels have claimed the upper 3/4 of the right side of the tank.

Now there are 5 Angels 2 adult 1 young adult and two youngsters, 1 Pearl Gourami, 2 Harlequin Rasboras, 11 Cardinals, there are 2 fish that will be moving to my DD's, a full size Purple Spotted Gudgeon and 1 Spotted Raphael Cat.

As soon as those two move I will be putting in the Golden Nugget Pleco and 4 young Bushynose Plecos. Two people have offered me Siamese Algae Eaters but so far since they live far away haven't been able to adjust the schedules to meet.

There are 2 Bronze Cories and the young Red veil angel left in the QT tank with the Golden Nugget, just waiting to get a good day to add the Angel to a tank with other Angels. Always an iffy situation.

Will likely need to find homes for a couple Angels, DD wanted one which is the Orange Marble, it is like the Koi Angels, just less orange/red and more marble.

So bottom line, one tank with no fish in it, just some misc. plants left there, moving into the QT.

PWC on 72G today and pwc on the 15G SW. Maybe moving the Calerpa Algaes in the vase into the 5G Chi. Which I have 2 little filters, I think both are AC, 1 is from an Edge tank, and was told it wasn't working right and needed to be cleaned.

Last Friday, I traded plants for a glass tank part from an Edge 6.6G and that filter. So I have been wondering what I might be able to do with that...

I think I will make a thread for ideas.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...edge-project-sw-or-fw-318475.html#post3034985

:flowers: Thanks for "listening".

Last edited:
Today I hunted around unsuccessfully for either kribs or jewel cichlids as an alternative to the shelldwellers. Found one krib at one store, one jewel at another, and nothing at the 3rd place. But I did pick up some play sand for the other, currently-barren 20 gallon! As soon as I get fish to stock 20 gallon #1, I'll transfer the bait minnows I used to cycled that tank into 20 gallon #2. And once 20 gallon #2 is cycled and has its intended inhabitants, I'll have to make one final late-fall fishing trip.

And it turned out good that I didn't find any fish because I just discovered the "already-cycled" 20 gallon is going through a mini-cycle, or maybe just wasnt done cycling yet.... .25 ammonia, .5 nitrite, 10 nitrate.

Mild tank reconstruction. Which corals are gonna go to make room for new ones. (basic plan jane ones for fancier ones before everthing grows out completely) A little of this and that.

LFS was out of neons (?!) so I brought home my first julii corys today instead. If I can manage to keep them alive, then I'll pick up another pair on my next trip out... Also, started working on the plans for DH's 'ghost tank'

I have recently acquired a free 80g oceanic that's been sitting in a barn for the past year that had some pretty thick hard water stains. I spent all day with vinegar and really light sand paper and manage to make it look quite clear.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410048764.535936.jpgtomorrow I'll be resealing this tank wish me luck

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have recently acquired a free 80g oceanic that's been sitting in a barn for the past year that had some pretty thick hard water stains. I spent all day with vinegar and really light sand paper and manage to make it look quite clear.View attachment 249247tomorrow I'll be resealing this tank wish me luck

Good luck! So what kinda tank you planning?

Well I wanna go with a lot of plants but don't know what to use and some rocks to make it simulate a creek bed. I have 2 spotted gars and I think the tank will be good enough until I build a pond out back

Cleaned the crap out of the 10 gallon at my girlfriend's house. 90% water change and gravel vac, changed the filter pad, and scrubbed all the algae. Then I got a cool schistura loach! :D

Back
Top Bottom