What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow that's deep. Okay well I was pretty basic. Fed and looked for a Cory cat and watched my rams!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mollies are still doing well. I need to get some decor in the tank, it looks so bare! I'm thinking of picking up some sculpey and making some stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well will be away from my tanks for about 1.5 weeks and no one else in the house knows how to take care if it correctly. So I am trying to figure that out.

I need to set my light timers, and find them and reorganize my fish stuff and get rid of some things pretty soon.

Clean out all filters and do pwc in the next 5 days....:eek::eek::eek:

I tried feeding some brussel sprout leaves moderately cooked. Had mild interest in a couple of tanks but fish and shrimp not too excited about it.

Saw one of my Chocolate Cherry shrimp fry, so I think by the sizes I have at least seen 2. I cant find my magnifying glass so it is hard to see them, plus all the moss and DW, plants and rocks, there are lots of hiding places.

I think there should be at least a dozen from the looks of the momma.

I lost the big Scarlet Gem Badis. The little one seems to be eating. It could have been old age, I am not too sure how old they get but I believe it was a couple years old at least.

Wish me luck on remembering everything for the filter clean out on the FX-5.

Ordered a new one! 2x2x1 as a frag tank to grow out and propergate my corals

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Leaving tomorrow so moved around some corals and my wayward mushroom in the tank that moves all around the tank tried to get a spot for it, it wasn't liking where I put it a couple weeks ago.

SW - Made a huge mess, did pwc on 15G and the Macro Algae tank and the Macroalgae vase.

FW - Need to make index cards for each tank with what and when and how much.

Pwc on every of the FW tanks.

Also last night found several babies, shrimp in the Chocolate Cherry shrimp tank. There is one which I think will look like momma shrimp nice and brown, clearish tinted brown, female. A Pretty much clear one, female and also a reddish one male. I was worried about the brown momma shrimp since I hadn't seen her for days but I found her and she was out and healthy and looking good and healthy. Both the brown and reddish brown momma dropped their babies and the brown looked like I might have seen little tiny eggs underneath again, I think...

I am gonna do a complete clean out on that tank in a few weeks when I have a bit more time.

Beware of the essay to come.

I had a death in the family. Sonic my Crowntail Betta had just lost his energy. He was living among some floating plants for the last month or two and only eating when i placed food over him so he didn't have to chase it. I could see nothing wrong with him externally, i just think he was old. If he fell off his island of plants he would struggle to get back onto them. I had him for the last six months. I was fish sitting for a girl who decided to move and dump him and two fantail goldfish on me permanently. Sonic was a friendly fish though and i'm always a little sad when a fish dies that has a personality.

Everyone else is doing well. I am cycling a larger tank i picked up for the fantails. It's my first bow front & has built in filters and lighting so is convenient. It's nothing exciting to look at yet, just small stones water and about 50 young ramshorn snails i am feeding up. They are helping me cycle. I have bought about $100 worth of aquarium gear selling my ramshorns. I will probably ditch the multi toned river stones i have in there for black ones soon. I just have none to put in there right now. I have enough sand to go that way but i like black stones in most of my other tanks, and already have a sand bottomed tank that i'm only half happy with.

Sold $30 worth of red ramshorns to my LFS for store credit. Bought $10 worth of frozen foods and was eyeballing a dwarf gourami. I'm short a heater in a QT tank at the moment. I left the Gourami for another day.

I will be on the lookout for a similar looking Betta to Sonic (blue body with red webbing through blue fins. I have a female (same description) that i want to breed but sonic got too old. He did the dance with venus twice but didn't know to pick up the eggs and place them in the bubble nest. I hope i can find a similar young Betta to match her coloring. They seem common enough.

Did a massive plant trim in my 2x20g tanks. I let them get a bit choked with plants. I wound up with about 1/3 of a 9 litre bucket of Ludwigia repens, slightly more than 1/3 of sunset hygro and about 150 young shoots of dwarf chain sword. My Pennywort is being choked out though. I have a healthy supply in a smaller tank so if it dies off i can regrow it. Added some crypt Parva to one tank and crypt Lutea to both 20g. I have one clump of mixed crypts i need to uproot and spread out still, my hand was waterlogged by the time i got that far. Seprated some young leaves off my Java fern and moved them into my 5g betta tank. Trimmed and replanted stems in the 6g fantail tank. I was going to break it down but i may buy a small heater and make it a RCS tank instead. I have a cycled bubble filter i can move in there. I have a 3 foot tank i was breeding the bettas in which i may break down. I made the stand functional but never added finishing touches to it which i might do before setting it back up again. It has a lot of floor space and i am keen to get it running, scaped and planted now.

I don't have a good history with Shrimp. I bought 10 RCS a while back. 5 from each of my 2 LFS for diversity in bloodlines. I moved them in with my Kuhli loaches. For a while the tank had babies galore, then the adults all began to die. I think they were having trouble moulting. Maybe the babies were eaten by the Kuhli loaches because when the adults died the babies all slowly disappeared as well. I have 1 survivor that is an offspring of the original 10. I see it about once a week in the jungle of my Kuhli tank It's full sized now but i'd like to get it some company and see if i have more luck with this batch.

I have no willpower at all when i see used tanks. My sister does some volunteer work at a local charity store and they often have fish tanks come into the shop. Last week i found a 2 foot tall x 1.5 foot wide octagonal tank that came with 3 used but working filters and a decent sized heater (retract the statement above about not having a QT heater, looks like i can grab my Gourami tomorrow) and some tank ornaments i will get rid of. All for $8. This week i found two more 6ish gallon tanks, one came with three filters, more ornaments and assorted smooth stones. The score in this lot was a nice big air pump, which i was needing to buy. I paid $10 for this little hoard. I would not have bought the last lot if not for the air pump which retail locally for about $26. I didn't need the extra tanks but I find it hard to leave them when they are massive bargains.

I did a big water change and picked up some zebra danios. I spent quite a while looking around my lfs and decided on them because they seemed to be the tightest schoolers they had that were big enough not to be eventual angelfish food. They seem to be doing well so far. My next addition will be some panda cories, then some angels. I also found and added my fake plants and some clay pots and slate pieces. It's not an empty tank anymore! Soon I plan on getting some sculpey and making some taller pieces I can maybe grow some live plants from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I start everyday searching for those insidious parasites Malaysian snails. I had some come in on a plant some time ago but have succeeded in nearly eradicating them. Get them young and small and remove them from the tank not just crushing them because they may have eggs in the crush that you will be setting free. It's a bit tedious and tiresome but I'm dedicated to ridding them from my tank.
After all that I check water quality and adjust Ph if necessary while defrosting some brine shrimp and blood worms for the exciting feeding frenzy.
After that I step into my miracle shrinking machine and reduce my body down to about 3" tall. Then I dive in and hang out with my fish for a couple of hours. Then I go riding on my Fuji absolute 27 speed bicycle. That of course is after I step back into my miracle shrinking machine and return to normal size.

I start everyday searching for those insidious parasites Malaysian snails. I had some come in on a plant some time ago but have succeeded in nearly eradicating them. Get them young and small and remove them from the tank not just crushing them because they may have eggs in the crush that you will be setting free. It's a bit tedious and tiresome but I'm dedicated to ridding them from my tank.
After all that I check water quality and adjust Ph if necessary while defrosting some brine shrimp and blood worms for the exciting feeding frenzy.
After that I step into my miracle shrinking machine and reduce my body down to about 3" tall. Then I dive in and hang out with my fish for a couple of hours. Then I go riding on my Fuji absolute 27 speed bicycle. That of course is after I step back into my miracle shrinking machine and return to normal size.

Like these?
ZUmgJoZ.png
This is in my shrimp tank and they do breed quickly. In my planted tank I have quite a few but not an outrageous number of them. I've managed to kill some inadvertently through hydrogen peroxide treatments (for algae control). Otherwise they do a decent job sifting through the surface of the substrate.
Other than that, debating on whether to do a water change and trying to figure out what to do the the plants in my holding tank:
fUJ8RKb.png
I might replant some. I usually throw them out into a small pond out back but with the cold weather kicking in...
Speaking of which, I need to check that pond this weekend. I probably have a ton of stuff growing in there. Might try to salvage some of the frost tender ones before it gets too cold.

Bought new T5 tubes for a used tank i am setting up. This is my first tank with dual t5 lighting that should give me medium light. It's a nice shallowish tank too so i hope to get red from a couple of plants. I've done well with T8 lights with my other tanks. This upgrade will be a nice experiment.

Aside from that it's been a lazy week. Plant maintenance usually fills my busy weeks but i cleared a lot up last week so it's been nice to have fish more visible and no trimming to worry about.

After the part one of my 2 week trip, all fish were doing very well and well taken care of.

Going to do pwc on the tanks before heading out in the opposite direction for part 2 of the trip. Got to show off the tanks to family. :D All fish and tanks were appropriately ooh'ed and ahh'ed over. lol

After the part one of my 2 week trip, all fish were doing very well and well taken care of.

Going to do pwc on the tanks before heading out in the opposite direction for part 2 of the trip. Got to show off the tanks to family. :D All fish and tanks were appropriately ooh'ed and ahh'ed over. lol

It's good when you get the appropriate reactions from the tanks. I had a mate stop in recently and tell me my tanks had a lot of weeds in them :mad:

Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Pwc change on my elephant nose tank and giant African shrimp. Found baby rcs in with my elephant nose this is the first time I've had babies so I was pretty excited!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weekend update. The warmer weather has arrived so I feel happier about working with my arms in water. But i woke up to a slow leak in my fantail tank which was an unhappy surprise in socks. 1x0.5 metre wet patch in the carpet and asize 9 sock that got an unexpected dip. The fish were due to be moved to a bigger tank that was ready enough to throw water, filter media and fish in. I think they knew i was procrastinating about getting them in the bigger tank and sabotaged the seals. WC was due in that tank today anyway so less of a big deal than it would have been if it happened tomorrow when i had to go to work at 6am. I had no plans to move them today.

Yesterday i trimmed down 4 buckets full of mixed clippings, saved a bunch of healthy tips for refreshing some tanks and replanted lots of new shoots in a humidi chamber to see if i can get emersed growth happening. The trimmed tips came in handy for my replant this morning.

I'll be doing some more tank shuffling soon. I'll move the plants from the leaking fantail tank along with the gravel into a betta tank that was thrown together with leftovers and no plan. Should be able to make a good scape this time round. Lots of Crypts. I'll add C. Parva, C. Lutea and C. Walkeri (the smallest crypts i can find) I may add sunset hygro and Java fern too. I'll see what space permits.

Last thing i have to do is complete my WC schedule. Got my comets and kuhli tank to do then it's fish watching all afternoon. It's been a productive weekend for my tanks so far.

Pwc change on my elephant nose tank and giant African shrimp. Found baby rcs in with my elephant nose this is the first time I've had babies so I was pretty excited!

Congrats! Post pictures please:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Got up this morning and checked my tanks found my 4inch vampire shrimp dead:( i had him for 15 months, totally gutted. Checked my paras and all are fine. Poor Mozzie 1414409399533.jpg

Isn't it exciting to unexpectedly find fry?

I did a 50% water change and then put bad endler fry as he's been dubbed in solitary confinement. Seeing as he won't stop chasing my male molly.

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 2 female Mollies, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, 6 Ghost Shrimp and the small fries...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom