What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's great already. Out exploring and he also ignores my shrimp unlike my last betta.

That's great, my last betta enjoyed eating everything! Good luck with him :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

My lace guppy finally dropped fry. One of them might be an albino.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My last betta died when I went out of town so I picked up a new one today. I also added more sand to my dirted tank to help keep the tannins from leeching as much.

S7RVPwY.jpg

He went from a cup to a 20g tank today. Pretty big size upgrade :)

Fortunate fish for you to find him!!! Sorry to hear about your other Betta. He probably feels like he got to go to Disneyland with the size of the tank!

My lace guppy finally dropped fry. One of them might be an albino.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That is exciting post pics (when they are big enough to see :lol:)

Well last night, my swimmers there were maybe 5 they were hiding in the Anubias leaves but came out to eat. One seemed pretty big the others were pretty small.

Took my new 12G low iron glass tank and started the water holding test. It is new but I always will test tanks. There is a tiny chip out in the inside of one corner, it doesn't seem to go to the seam, but just to be sure I will get a tube of caulk and reseal the bottom. For the last 15 minutes, no leaks. We shall see.

The glass is very clear and there is no distortion looking through it with the water in it; I am happy for that anyway. I now have to move things around so I can find a new spot for it.

I am trying to arrange to buy 3 new corals for the tank, waiting to see what the package price will be and when to pick up if all goes well. A Montipora, a nice Leather and a nice Duncan, he also has a feather duster and some Ricordias, and will see what kind of deal can be made. :D Trying to plan what will go into the tank and what kind of design there will be. I have little experience with SW so trying to make it decent. Camera issues still but will try to get a couple shots from someone else's.

10 gal pwc on 29 gal, moved some wisteria around for more light, and and lowered heat to 80. Finally done heat treating my ich out break ??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

10 gal pwc on 29 gal, moved some wisteria around for more light, and and lowered heat to 80. Finally done heat treating my ich out break ??

Haha, congrats! Ich can be tricky to shake sometimes.

Guppy is ready to drop, had her in the breeder box but she wasn't dropping her fry even though she was squared off yesterday. I let her out a little while ago, her tail was clenched and she seemed stressed, hope we can catch the fry if she has them in the open tank. Maybe we will put her back in the box overnight to have her fry and take her out in the morning.

The powerhead on the sponge filter was crooked because the sponge was at an angle. It's a little hard to explain, but the sponge was sticking out more than the powerhead which forced the lift tube to be crooked, so dad took two 90° elbows and made it straight again. At first he tried to bend the tube but it ended up looking crumpled. Now we are trying to think of how to hide the big sponge, would moss planted on it be ok or not? Maybe some decorations in front of it?

Dad wants to make a tank bridge and I'm all for it, let's make PVC running all over the house!! Let's allow the platies to watch TV with us!! Only drawback is the cost, it would be probably around $1,000 just for the clear PVC, yikes. Because of the cost I don't think it's going to happen.

Going to (hopefully) go to the LFS tomorrow to get a girl betta, maybe we will set up the tank today.

Sister's tank has lots of Java moss and Christmas moss growing, I'm thinking of taking some of that and putting it in the 29 gal for the fry as a source of cover and food.

Does anyone have tips to catch fish in a planted tank? My dad wants to separate the mom platy from the dad platy but the dad is being a pain to catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Got a HUGE drop of fry today! They are in the ten, mother guppy didn't even touch them! I'm amazed. About 30! I unplugged the filter, it's a tetra 10i whisper. I have a bubbler going. Should I leave the filter on or off and what should I do with the media if it is off? I could rubber band it to a airstone I guess to keep it aerated

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Haha, congrats! Ich can be tricky to shake sometimes.

Thanks! Right now the fish are NOT happy with me. They went from a summer 88 degrees to a fall 80 in 12 hours. Once they get used to the fall weather they should have more color and be much happier. ??

Thanks! Right now the fish are NOT happy with me. They went from a summer 88 degrees to a fall 80 in 12 hours. Once they get used to the fall weather they should have more color and be much happier. ??

They might have been happier with you if you dropped the temp 1-2 degrees each day. Everything gradual.
Got a new API Nitrate test kit today. And more Fluval CO2 indicator fluid yesterday.
Adjusted the HOB filter flow pattern so there is less surface movement. Sat and watched the pearling.

The 10 gallon pwc sped things up a bit... I did keep the heater at 84 for a couple hours before dropping it to 80.

I did my first PWC since getting my albino corys, and boy was it an experience. Either my corys are really curious or I smell like food because two of them were wiggling their barbels all over the back of my hand the second I reached into the tank.

I moved some gravel around in the tank but I screwed up the tubing for the airstone and now it's floating instead of being anchored under gravel. I keep waiting for my local PetSmart to get airline suction cups back in stock, but it seems like I'll have to give up and get them online instead.

Message delivered by Hermes.

I removed a chunk of floating plants today that had BGA on it. Accidentally left the light on for about 14 hours yesterday. Filled up my sterilite container for a 50% change tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yesterday one of the guppies had fry, it's now been 4 generations of guppies :) Three fry were born yesterday but I saw only one in the net so we moved the largest fry from the net into the main tank (we thought he might be eating the teeny ones).

Now, I've got 12 of those guppies born yesterday/last night, and I just found a platy fry in the tank! It looks the exact same size as the guppies, it's just orange. Could both fish have had fry at the same time? Did one trigger the other into having fry? The platy was looking big yesterday or two days ago, I remember thinking she was about to have fry.

We moved the dad platy from the mom's tank into the tank with the danio fry (who aren't actually danio fry anymore lol, in fact I think they're going to lay eggs soon).

I removed some pond snails from the big tank, not a fan of how they breed soooo much, and I think the shape of the ramshorns is more appealing.

Did 3 big pwc in the last 3 days, the uncycled filter and extra fry food caused the Angelfishes one eye to cloud a little and I got the water back to a healthy level but I feel bad missing the conditions even more now. Used the dip sticks for testing because I was in a hurry and they weren't accurate I guess, which is weird since the last time I checked them with the liquid test kit and they were correct. So I am not sure what the difference of a few weeks.

I plan to clean the tank out all together and put the Angels back into the big tank tonight or Sunday. I added the new Fluval Aquaclear 30-50 (200GPH) to the 35G tank with the sponge filter. With more Melafix.

The Angelfish pair in the 72G tank took the time with the other pair being away to lay eggs on a huge DW in the tank it weighs maybe 20 lbs soaked so I won't be moving it. They were all lovely looking no bad ones left. The eggs generally only last a day or 2 before the rest of the fish have a snack.

But now I know there are 2 pair of them. This pair is a Marbled Koi And a peachy pink Golden Veil from what I can tell more peachy pink than the pic... Baby pic
60074-albums11380-picture65580.jpg

baby pic
60074-albums11380-picture65581.jpg

New tank passed the water holding test but will be caulking the bottom anyway. Just to be on the safe side.

Picking up the corals I planned on getting tonight and should be ordering the other 2 tonight after I get home. Getting to stop by a couple lfs to check for some good deals. Yipee!! Fun evening.

Friday found my daughter at my house when I got home from work and she water to take home her fish from my 72G, a Purple Spotted Gudgeon, the whole reason she got her tank. So he has evaded being caught at least 4 other events due to all the plants and DW.

We took out the biggest DW, still hiding, then the second, and still couldn't get him, then the 3rd, then hiding in the dense Vals under behind the intake which is almost the size of my hand (FX-5). Finally caught him!!!

So when we pulled out the huge DW, there is a hide out crevice in it and the Spotted Raphael Cat had himself wedged into the spot. I knew they would bloat themselves up with water to wedge into a spot, but he had the hardest dorsal fin and was pinned into the spot with the Dorsal and I guess his Pelvic fins but I couldn't really see. So after my 9 hr day at work I have the 2 tops, two lights and 3 big DW pulled out of my tank water splashes here and there.

And a ~6" catfish wedged in a log and won't come out. We tried tickling him and gently pushing the Dorsal, no, not coming out.

Finally filled up the bucket all the way so that the water would fill the space he was in in the DW and hope he would swim away when he felt like it.
Here is the DW in the 72G. He was in the biggest one underneath and it didn't exactly fit IN the bucket!!!

60074-albums11380-picture49886.jpg

Cleaned all the gunk off the top glass an cleaned up all the water.

Like that wasn't enough fun for one night.......

I added my other pair of Angelfish back into into the 72G from the breeding tank because it needs to be cleaned out. Then the pair that remained in the tank went crazy because of the other pair in their territory. :eek: The tank was basically rescaped and everything moved, the DW was put back into a different formation and I put the big Anubias into the center for a divider one pair for each side.

Nope, they weren't having that. Now the 72G pair are in a bucket till I get home from work tonight and can watch them, or at least clean out the 35G and put them in there.

That was a LONG day. Ah, how I would just like to curl up on the couch and watch my peaceful fish, lol.

painted the back of my 55 gallon that is torn down right now as the room it was in just finished being restored after a fire. will be setting it back up in the coming week. really pumped to get it set back up and dirt it! :ROFLMAO:

Today I did PWC on 5 tanks. Have water sitting for changing 3 more tomorrow. Trying to decide what to do with my Fluval Spec. Its about 2 gallons and the top has a round hole just big enough for a few of the cats to get it stuck around their heads. They like to drink out of my tanks.

Friday found my daughter at my house when I got home from work and she water to take home her fish from my 72G, a Purple Spotted Gudgeon, the whole reason she got her tank. So he has evaded being caught at least 4 other events due to all the plants and DW.

We took out the biggest DW, still hiding, then the second, and still couldn't get him, then the 3rd, then hiding in the dense Vals under behind the intake which is almost the size of my hand (FX-5). Finally caught him!!!

So when we pulled out the huge DW, there is a hide out crevice in it and the Spotted Raphael Cat had himself wedged into the spot. I knew they would bloat themselves up with water to wedge into a spot, but he had the hardest dorsal fin and was pinned into the spot with the Dorsal and I guess his Pelvic fins but I couldn't really see. So after my 9 hr day at work I have the 2 tops, two lights and 3 big DW pulled out of my tank water splashes here and there.

And a ~6" catfish wedged in a log and won't come out. We tried tickling him and gently pushing the Dorsal, no, not coming out.

Finally filled up the bucket all the way so that the water would fill the space he was in in the DW and hope he would swim away when he felt like it.
Here is the DW in the 72G. He was in the biggest one underneath and it didn't exactly fit IN the bucket!!!

60074-albums11380-picture49886.jpg

Cleaned all the gunk off the top glass an cleaned up all the water.

Like that wasn't enough fun for one night.......

I added my other pair of Angelfish back into into the 72G from the breeding tank because it needs to be cleaned out. Then the pair that remained in the tank went crazy because of the other pair in their territory. :eek: The tank was basically rescaped and everything moved, the DW was put back into a different formation and I put the big Anubias into the center for a divider one pair for each side.

Nope, they weren't having that. Now the 72G pair are in a bucket till I get home from work tonight and can watch them, or at least clean out the 35G and put them in there.

That was a LONG day. Ah, how I would just like to curl up on the couch and watch my peaceful fish, lol.

Busy, busy Autumn! It's all go for you ;) and you finally caught your Gudgeon Yay!

Pwc on both tanks, rearranged my elephant nose tank and removed some rcs since he's been chasing them and banging into things, at the moment he's got lips like Mike Jagger again! Think he'd learn :confused:

Shrimp have settled well into my other tank, at least they won't become lunch.

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom