What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
General water change on tanks. I also went and picked my newest fish up a little present they will be going from a 55 to a 150ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420855927.537889.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420855937.375438.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Spent a big bunch of time slowly lowering the temperature in my 5g, think I'm finally done with that.

This little treasure was delivered today, going to be a low tech yellow shrimp setup on my desk.

Attachments

• Jan 09 2015 yellows.jpg
    Jan 09 2015 yellows.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 80
This little treasure was delivered today, going to be a low tech yellow shrimp setup on my desk.

Very nice tank, can't wait to see pics.

Got the Hatchet fish moved to my tank the 72G with the 2 Angel pairs. Instead of sending them home with DD because I forgot she never bought a real lid for her tank and she just used some plastic wrap until she gets some extra cash. The Angels are harassing them. I moved a big Anubias that normally floats until I decide to get into the tnak and anchor it back down, and a couple hand fulls of misc. Crypts, Vals and moss which has just been hanging out in the QT growing out. Snagged them onto a driftwood branch that is sticking up through the top of the water to give some protection and break up line of sight. So now there is an ugly buffer.

Friend of DD has an Fluval Edge tank or 2 he said he didn't want anymore and would sell them for $10 (DD wants one), as he worked in a pet store and bought them for either 10 or $20 - I am drooling over them. Not that I don't already have one and a glass only which I haven't decided what to do with. But it would make my tank cleaning easier to move everything over to new substrate and lighting with a complete new (to me) tank... I have been wanting to do a rescape anyway.

Kind of considering, if I do get it, to move the Blue Velvets to that tank for the bedroom and change the 12G Edge to a nano fish focus like I was thinking before.

Also decided I need to think about the fish tanks to get my mind off other things. Though wishing there was more time available for just doing fun stuff, like playing with fish tanks and shrimp.

Just noticed the pair of Angels Koi and Silver striped, which had babies before, are fussing with the leaves of the Anubias (the big one I just moved), and that is where they laid the eggs before. Time to investigate further.

Edit: Yup a bunch of eggs on the leaf, nicely colored up and I am SOOOO tempted to save them...

Last edited:
I got my 2 new Crypts in the mail today. They are battered and I expect melt, but they have great roots and should come back. Pulled out some snails.

Did a 50% water change. Added my ferts and excel. Corys are happy. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420874540.544715.jpg

Since I'm having carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow, I did a huge water change and an extra thorough cleaning. Had intentions of stripping down the 10 gallon and changing out the substrate, but life happened and it'll have to wait til I get the use of my hand back. Also got the hubby to reluctantly agree to assisting with water changes during my recovery...he doesn't like the hobby and doesn't appreciate my tanks, so I consider that a huge win.

I finished cycling my 5 gallon!

I added 2ppm more of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive until I get the ADFs and RCS!
I really want to add my Betta now... but I know that it would be easier to introduce them peacefully if I add the ADF/RCS first and betta later.
RCS will be coming on Thursday and will go shopping for ADF after the food is delivered. Very excited.

Since I'm having carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow, I did a huge water change and an extra thorough cleaning. Had intentions of stripping down the 10 gallon and changing out the substrate, but life happened and it'll have to wait til I get the use of my hand back. Also got the hubby to reluctantly agree to assisting with water changes during my recovery...he doesn't like the hobby and doesn't appreciate my tanks, so I consider that a huge win.

Force him to like the hobby! :D
I finished cycling my 5 gallon!

I added 2ppm more of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive until I get the ADFs and RCS!
I really want to add my Betta now... but I know that it would be easier to introduce them peacefully if I add the ADF/RCS first and betta later.
RCS will be coming on Thursday and will go shopping for ADF after the food is delivered. Very excited.
Isnt it great when your tank finally finishes cycling? I'm eagerly awaiting the end of the cycling process on my upcoming 3g reef tank

I wanted to see how my perimeters changed after a 33% WC and here are the results. Tested 0 ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite and 30 ppm Nitrate performed the 33% WC. The tank is 55 gal heavily planted with 50 or fish and it's been in existence for 3 months. After WC I tested it again and all the perimeters were at 0 ppm. I was shocked actually. I've been performing weekly 33% WC and my nitrates usually are 20 to 40 ppm so again I was surprised to see them at 0 ppm. Here's the tube. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421008809.039417.jpg so my question is- can I go 10 to 14 days between WC's? I normally siphon the gravel in fifths so the whole tank is vacuumed everything month and half. I also wipe the glass and every WC. My fish are :
1 angelfish
1 red tail shark
3 Boesemani Rainbows
2 Pearl Gouramis
1 dwarf Gouramis
1 Opaline Gouramis
1 Kubotai Loach
9 assorted cories
12 Lambchop Rosaboras
10 Rummynoses
8 HY 511 Tetras.
5 Oto cats
1 Amano shrimp

Played around with bulbs on the 16g. Also trimmed some plants. Added otos to the tank yesterday so every time I go by the tank I've been checking to make sure they're ok.

I have an order from Bob's that hasn't shipped so I added on a trio of sparkling gouramis for the 16g as well.

Next major chore-today or tomorrow-is to rinse the sand for the new nano tank project. Finally decided to go with a mix of Tahitian moon and super natural sunset gold.

Maybe if there was a way to add wheels and a motor...until then, I'm on my own! ;)

There is!
car_aquarium_10.jpg

I wanted to see how my perimeters changed after a 33% WC and here are the results. Tested 0 ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite and 30 ppm Nitrate performed the 33% WC. The tank is 55 gal heavily planted with 50 or fish and it's been in existence for 3 months. After WC I tested it again and all the perimeters were at 0 ppm. I was shocked actually. I've been performing weekly 33% WC and my nitrates usually are 20 to 40 ppm so again I was surprised to see them at 0 ppm. Here's the tube. View attachment 260756 so my question is- can I go 10 to 14 days between WC's? I normally siphon the gravel in fifths so the whole tank is vacuumed everything month and half. I also wipe the glass and every WC. My fish are :
1 angelfish
1 red tail shark
3 Boesemani Rainbows
2 Pearl Gouramis
1 dwarf Gouramis
1 Opaline Gouramis
1 Kubotai Loach
9 assorted cories
12 Lambchop Rosaboras
10 Rummynoses
8 HY 511 Tetras.
5 Oto cats
1 Amano shrimp

I would double check your nitrates; that looks like a false reading to me. After a 33% change you should only see a 33% reduction in nitrates assuming theres 0ppm in your tap

I added this little guy into quarantine today. He moves soooo fast it's absurd, I couldn't even come close to getting a good picture. I've always wanted an eel so a Snowflake seemed like a good choice.

6Edjbx0.jpg

htgnI5q.jpg

Rescaped my tank bottom pic is the new one

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1421018554873.jpg
    1421018554873.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 70
There is!

car_aquarium_10.jpg

is...is that a goldfish car? Wonder how a '66 Ford would handle a conversion like that...

Kidding. So much kidding!

On another note, I love that eel! Someday I'll do salt...probably when I'm old and retired, but someday!

Cleaned small tank. Then cleaned filter inlet, so had to do another water change :(

Temp was 90F (32C) but all doing well. Closed curtains (again) and opened door to get some cool air in.

Weekend Fresh Water Tank Work

Hello AA...

Most of the weekend is spent changing out tank water. 50 percent per tank and six tanks that range in size from 20 to 60 gallons. Trimming plants is done too. The fish are thriving and love the water changes. I like to make the new water a bit warmer and add a bit of standard aquarium salt. Rumor has it that salt isn't good for fish and plants, but I don't find this to be true. I keep Danios, Swordtails, Platys, Guppies, Corydoras and Plecos. They're all healthy and I think it's due to pure water conditions and the bit of salt that keeps them this way.

Plants are fine with a little salt too. The consistently high mineral level from the water changes and the salt, keep the plants healthy as the fish. If you're having tank troubles, change out a lot of tank water weekly and add a bit of aquarium salt, a good teaspoon or a bit more to every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. The tank inhabitants will appreciate it.

B

Good info BB, I'm a bit scared to do it, would it be ok for my ground dwellers listed below??

There's absolutely no need to add aquarium salt to have a healthy aquarium. It's best used as a treatment for some disorders rather than as a constant additive.

Back
Top Bottom