What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Attempted to thin out the anacharis iny 29. I'm going to give the tops a week and then throw the rest into my 10 gallon.
Also moved an oto to the 10. He was having a hard time moving. I turned the filter down to lcllow the flow, and have him a cave covered in algae. Not sure if he will make it though:(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Shellyx, King Gonzo is looking healthy.

Fish Wrangler, hope your little Oto makes it.

Need to order a new light for my 12G Edge. It is not good anymore only about 1/3rd of the lights left (my fault). I am supplementing the lighting with a clamp light with a daylight bulb.

Then also my 6.6G Edge light isn't working at all, new development, I will check the connections again in case I missed something. I just replaced the bulbs (halogen). Still need to review how to install the new light head. Wondering if it isn't the power plug now.

Both Angel pairs are cleaning, one their slate and the other on their favorite leaf. One Angel pair on each end of the tank with the Pearl Gourami and Rainbow pair being chased to the center...again!

Tomorrow pwc.

I checked the hospital/quarantine tank before i heard up stairs. Little oto didn't make it :(

Other 4 ask seem really healthy so hopefully they make it.

Put in some new plants that arrived in the mail today. Including this amazing Anubias I got that fits perfectly in a little ledge my driftwood has. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421998439.971110.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421998459.910554.jpg

Also moved my betta from a 5.5 gallon to a spare ten gallon I had.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Autumn, he's getting some size :) Nice to see you on here.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Put in some new plants that arrived in the mail today. Including this amazing Anubias I got that fits perfectly in a little ledge my driftwood has.

Also moved my betta from a 5.5 gallon to a spare ten gallon I had.

That's a really nice anubias (y)

Finally got around to giving the 55G a well-needed algae wipe! Did a nice big water change at the same time! B)

tumblr_nil762kacu1u79wrpo1_1280.jpg

Nice tank! I just noticed you come from Scotland, same here ;)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422044730.936447.jpg

Just got finished cycling, so over these past three weeks I have added, 11 bloodfin tetras, 8 marbled hatchets, 2 piece's of driftwood mounted to a slate, and a couple of terracottas. I'm waiting for the tank to become a little more established before I add a gold ram, and an electric blue ram. Until then I'll be heavily planting my tank with low light plants. ( just added a 6500k led strip last week). Any recommendations to diy co2 systems?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank clean today with add a plant and try some API root tabs. Or I would but sitting here getting my left hand x-rayed from coming off the push bike last night :( Kind of regretting I don't have a python now.

Laid down a layer of dirt, added rocks, added gravel, burying the rocks, digging the rocks back out, putting the rocks back in, stepping back and deciding there isn't enough gravel, adding more gravel, burying rocks again, digging up rocks and putting them back in, then realizing I still have to plant and moving some gravel back up. It was a busy day. I'm setting up a ten gallon Walstad. :cool:
At least I know what NOT to do now. :microwave: :n00b:
On an unrelated note, I discovered the more button on the smilies page.:band:

My dad was up for a visit this week so tank maintenance was mostly postponed until today. Aside from WC i did virtually nothing with my tanks which has caused some minor issues.

My Betta tank is usually my most viewed tank at present since i keep it in my room where i spend a lot of my time. I generally control the light on this tank by estimation rather than using light timers. It means that i do get green hair algae issues but usually some spot treating with hydrogen peroxide deals with this well. This week i gave the room up to my dad so when the light got switched on in the morning it's been left on for 12+ hours (usually i run it on a split lighting schedule which has minimised algae growth). The room has been vacated again so i noticed just how bad the GHA had gotten with 6 days of light in massive excess. You can't really see the dwarf hairgrass i was so proud of in my last post anymore so i've run a massive dose of hydrogen peroxide in hopes of getting rid of it. I'm watching it bubble away crazily at the moment and my betta doing laps in the bottom of a 2 litre bottle he lives in while i peroxide his tank.I'l do a big water change soon and hopefully see the plants inside look less like algae monsters.

My latest tank in the loungroom is doing well. I started doing minimal fert dosing in it this week and am seeing some of the struggling plants growing a little bit already. I am drastically understocking this tank since i will be moving house soon and don't want the hassle of another quarantine tank to deal with when i move.

I took advantage of my dads visit to plug in some data about his tank at home with aquadvisor. He has a 20g with 2 juvenile BN plecos, Platties, Guppies, Mollies, 2 Rainbow sharks and a Silver shark in it. He was quite shocked to see how overstocked the tank was based on the aquadvisor info. Hopefully he goes home and is willing to be more vigilant about water changes now. Getting him to swap out the stock that will outgrow the tank is a battle for another time, but i think i had a win for his current stock because he's told me he will do waterchanges weekly as opposed to having done 1 in the last 12 weeks. Baby steps.

Filled evaporation the last two nights. Last night both Angel pairs have eggs, on the slate and on the Anubias leaf like usual.

Edit - the Koi and Stripe pair now have wigglers. I just turned on the light and they they were wiggling!!! So I just must have just not seen them until yesterday. Better hurry with the pwc.

The spare tank 35G I was planning on keeping the babies in, I found a Totsie pop lollipop wrapper was floating in the water, no lid is on it right now... and when I picked it out the water had dissolved it and the was just the stick and wrapper left. The water has a little tinge of pinkish red but it was full of tannins and no light on at the moment due to no fish. I have been feeding the tank every few days in order to keep the BB happy. Probably going to do a big pwc.

Considering moving the Rainbows and Gourami to the other 16 G tank for a few weeks to see if the Angels can raise their babies. So many choices.

Or do nothing and just see what happens.

Other option is to move the SW fish from the 15G to the 35G. Then put the eggs from both pair into the 16G and try to raise them myself. It is amazing they laid them on the same day, but maybe one pair the Koi and Silver could possibly raise both since they were laid on the same day...unless they were somehow smart enough to tell the difference or even care.

Both pair seem very protective, but the Koi and Stripe ferociously so. Last time I reached in to move a dead leaf out of the water I almost got my finger tip bit off, lol.

Last edited:
Got some new Omega one food. The pellets are way bigger than I though, so I'm crushing them up between slate to make a powder. Also topped off the tanks. Evaporation is getting to be a pita.

Got some new Omega one food. The pellets are way bigger than I though, so I'm crushing them up between slate to make a powder. Also topped off the tanks. Evaporation is getting to be a pita.

Open top tank? Lol

Didn't really do anything with my tank, but i did notice a tiny side runner from my star repens and my c. wendtii red has a new plant sprout (i think i only planted 3 individual plants...)

This thread originally started in 2012 wow

Sent from inside my fish tank

Back
Top Bottom