What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha Ha - Yikes

...which of those tanks seem lightly stocked to you? Giant danios alone would fill up a 29 gallon. A red eared slider is messy and going to need a 55 gallon...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry, I somehow missed the qualifier, "giant". :oops:
I suppose I should look up what a RES is, too.
I was just going by "body count." :fish2::fish2:

Thanks stoker, Nigelk said he can see a difference, see how yours go, my tank is pretty clear without it.

It's looking really good in there, IMHO, & other than 1 or 2 more Cherry Red shrimp, I am finished fooling around with my Betta's bowl! Poor guy, mom has been adding things for the last week, but up until the Whisper 3i filter, he was taking it in stride. He's not super happy about even this tiny filter, so when I get my nano 5 gal natural planted tank done, I may move the snail and shrimp out of there and remove the 3i. It's really true that they are not the best swimmers, and it bothers me watching him struggle! You should see the look on his face when I feed him and his food starts swirling overhead in a fast (for him) circle. (Part of me laughs because it IS a bit humorous watching him work out the trajectory & then strike a piece of food.) I am waiting for some on-line orders to arrive before I can begin work on the 5 gal (stuff my LFSs didn't carry or have now), and if the Betta hasn't grown 'swimming muscle' by the time it's ready for fish, that's what I will do. He was fine with no filter, just plants, zeolite, and water changes.

Do any of you have a filter with a Betta? How does yours do with it?

My Betta's all have filters. The 2 in 10 gals have quite flow 10-20s and the one in 3.7 is an all in one tank. Has a 40gph return. They are all fine, one of mine in a 10 gal likes to swim in the current right at the top. The one in the 3.7 is rather lazy and sits on the Anubis and the other 10 gal he is pretty shy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The pics for the tiny babies are too small almost for me to see on the lap top let alone a AA phone app pic. Night before, the plug on the heater in the 16G loosened up from the power strip and it wasn't heating overnight and it seems we lost most of the babies. There were at least 3 left. At least I think there is a good chance the next time to be able to raise them, or the next time...

Previewed some new SW frags at a guys house, and did a pre order for some cool looking mushrooms that I don't have yet and a couple of Zoas too and an orand and a green Acan and a Brain and a Purple Bonsai Acro (which was the one for the best deal I think.

So am planning the new 35G SW to move my Saddleback Clowns into, target date by the end of the month.

My biggest issues are for the lighting decisions. The light connections in the built in part of the hood is corroded, so choice of just buying a new one from the company, kinda expensive, or new more awesome lights - similar price maybe or less, with a retrofit. And then deciding which kind to go with for a retrofit. Decisions, decisions, lol.

Feed everybody of course, added evap water fills for everyone.

Still pondering tank moving and inhabitants moving; kinda musical tanks... I would like to get a certain matching 72G so I could have twin SW and FW tanks, but the budget isn't quite ready for that yet...still thinking of how that would work though :).

DD needs help with a rescape, and if she doesn't end up loving her 46G Bowfront tank, I will trade her for the 6.6G Edge, at least for a while. Or find her a used Edge.

Oh dear, I got loads at the weekend, now I am running full steam!
ABSOLUTELY LOVE KEEPING FISH.
Tonight I'm feeding,
21 buenos aires tetra
16 black neon tetra
5 corydoras agassizii
10 glowlight tetra (approx)
15 corydoras paleatus. (Approx)
1 betta splendens.
11 clown loach.
1 figure 8 puffer.
6 glass catfish
3 different sucker mouth catfish

My biggest issues are for the lighting decisions. The light connections in the built in part of the hood is corroded, so choice of just buying a new one from the company, kinda expensive, or new more awesome lights - similar price maybe or less, with a retrofit. And then deciding which kind to go with for a retrofit. Decisions, decisions, lol.

If you're happy with the light and it's a function only fix;

If you can get to the corrosion, wire wool and/or a small flat file.
UNPLUG THE UNIT! Then you can buy something better with your money.
It's an easy fix but please please remember to play safe with electricity(y)

It's the same thing you'd do to the button on the car windows, they get a build up on them sometimes.

What did I do? Ima bout to tear down & hunt shrimp!

BEGIN RANT :banghead:
-----
I am majorly aggravated right now. My Betta may be in SERIOUS trouble if I can't find any of my $25 + worth of shrimp that were there yesterday!!!

Just spent 40 minutes hand-picking vermiculite out of potting soil (needed something to do while waiting for the heater to cool down).

Next, his fanny is going in a plastic bowl, ALL the decs and plants are coming out, and I am going to find those shrimp!! If I do NOT find shrimp, I swear he is not getting fed for the next 2 days!!

Since this will essentially tear down the bowl, I'm going to clean house all the way and put soil at the bottom, replant the vegetation, replace the gravel, & redecorate. I'll do this no matter how the shrimp question is answered.

Grrrrr ~ there better be shrimp in there!
_____
END RANT

BEGIN RANT :banghead:
-----
I am majorly aggravated right now. My Betta may be in SERIOUS trouble if I can't find any of my $25 + worth of shrimp that were there yesterday!!!

Just spent 40 minutes hand-picking vermiculite out of potting soil (needed something to do while waiting for the heater to cool down).

Next, his fanny is going in a plastic bowl, ALL the decs and plants are coming out, and I am going to find those shrimp!! If I do NOT find shrimp, I swear he is not getting fed for the next 2 days!!

Since this will essentially tear down the bowl, I'm going to clean house all the way and put soil at the bottom, replant the vegetation, replace the gravel, & redecorate. I'll do this no matter how the shrimp question is answered.

Grrrrr ~ there better be shrimp in there!
_____
END RANT

Wait you put $25 worth of live shrimp in with your betta. For food or just to have rhe shrimp?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wait you put $25 worth of live shrimp in with your betta. For food or just to have rhe shrimp?

For tank mates, not food. Am I stupid??!! :nono:

The first two were fine for a few days, so yesterday I got more, including two Orange Bees I was extremely pleased with and a HUGE RCS that may have been a pregnant female but not sure.

I will wait to cry until I get this tear-down done.

The first two were fine for a few days, so yesterday I got more, including two Orange Bees I was extremely pleased with and a HUGE RCS that may have been a pregnant female but not sure.

Never said you where stupid. Just didn't know the shrimps purpose

Sounds like you want to "punish" your betta. Why take it out on him by not feeding him? It's not a kid or a dog, it's a fish. You can't train or reason with it not to do what it's going to do. Bettas are known to attack or eat shrimp.

How big of a tank are we talking about? How much hiding space? Did you find any evidence that the shrimp are dead, like shells or remains?

Sounds like you want to "punish" your betta. Why take it out on him by not feeding him? It's not a kid or a dog, it's a fish. You can't train or reason with it not to do what it's going to do. Bettas are known to attack or eat shrimp.

How big of a tank are we talking about? How much hiding space? Did you find any evidence that the shrimp are dead, like shells or remains?

If he had eaten them all, I figured he wouldn't NEED to eat for 2 days! But all is well -- Found the Shrimp!! Two are VERY small and have little color. I didn't get a perfect count, but I have at least five. No remains were found so I will try to get a better count on the way back in. The rebuild is done, the shrimp are in an aerated tub clinging to a moss ball, and the water is heating back up. I took pics for you guys who, like me, have never put dirt in a tank. What I can say is I'm very happy I have proper substrate coming for my 5 gal rectangle project, but it really wasn't as bad as it could have been, either.

To answer one question, this is a 2 gallon drum bowl with a moderately heavy planting and a "shrimp tunnel" (curved piece of coco shell with plants tied to the top of it. Also, this Betta is Very Well Fed. I probably over-feed him, but I let him eat as much as he will in 3 or 4 minutes. If he is still looking for food, I keep giving it to him in that period of time. I'm Italian, what can I say. No one goes hungry in an Italian home. :lol:

Thanks for the interactions, every one! Will post an album of the build when it's all downloaded & resized in a little while here. Meanwhile, I'm starving, need to pee, and sure could use a glass of wine right about now! :D

I did a lot today. I cut my spraybar down from 5ft to 4, increased the size and number of holes. Emptied about 25 gallons of water onto my floor when I forgot to put the hose clamp back on. After cleaning that up I set up a second canister and ran a UV light from the outlet spending about 2.5 hours figuring out how to get it all attached and flowing correctly. Finally got it all hooked up and it's working great!

I did a lot today. I cut my spraybar down from 5ft to 4, increased the size and number of holes. Emptied about 25 gallons of water onto my floor when I forgot to put the hose clamp back on. After cleaning that up I set up a second canister and ran a UV light from the outlet spending about 2.5 hours figuring out how to get it all attached and flowing correctly. Finally got it all hooked up and it's working great!

Was the floor carpet?!

Thats one of the better floors to have a leak on. Carpet and hardwood floors are probably the 2 worst.

Bought Squiggles, the squiggly BN.
And platies, and a swordtail for my cousins, and another albino BN. Yes, I know, only keep one unless they are paired. I'm hoping they will pair, but until then they are pretty small.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Back
Top Bottom