Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #3731
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

I have bought DHG 2x. The first was about 6-7 months ago maybe a bit longer, grew great but my baby BN pleco kept up rooting it and hiding in it and eventually it all floated off except a few strands.

Then I bought it again to add some into the tank again as he had grown enough to move to the other tank and plant in the planted jar.

Ended uo using a giant DW in the jar which took up most of the bottom space and then the same, I added back a DW to the Edge tank and it pretty much took up the space I had intended to put the DHG.

So it stayed in the little bag, in the cardboard too! lol every day I turn on the lamp above it-25" above from the top of the table, turn it over so it gets good light 1-2x per day, and there were days when I didn't get around to turning it. It was so healthy and green, and just kept growing!!!

Anyway I just got to planting it almost 3 months later!!!

I have purchased 2 Pogostemon Helferi/Downoi. One was super green and health looking couple weeks later bought the other pale hadn't got enough light tiny leaves, but it was not brown/dead looking just needed light. So I bought it and put it under the lamp to green it up, in a week or so it greened and the leaves doubled and looked perfect. There were a few tiny browned leaves in the centers next to the gel. Just picked them out.

My aquatic inhabitants seem to love to eat the Downoi so I don't know what I am gonna do. $8 is an expensive salad snack for them.

Got Staurogyne repens and let it get greener and bigger in the package for the week or so and planted it and it is doing really well, I plan to buy some more of it.

While I was there checking on what they had the had a few things on clearance, I got a ill looking package of Teleantera for 25 cents, there were at least three baby stems which were alive and ok, tiny but I knew I could grow them. In two weeks, they grew bigger and when I separated them, there were 6-7 little and tiny plants (25 cents!!!)

They have a few more I plan to pick up. Cyperus helferi and balanese crypt. They also have Anubias Petite Nana.

Lots of fun!!! They cost 7.99-8+ One store had the same ones for $1 more. I think they may have been in the middle of raising the prices.

Again the light bulb I am using over my snail bowl and planted jar is a daylight 6500K CFL in a pretty table lamp, it took me forever to find (not very available -most here have 3200 or 3400K daylight, I looked for months!!!) it but it was from Ace Hardware, the 2 pack is a good deal.
So you didnt submerse the DHG at all?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #3732
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990 View Post
So you didnt submerse the DHG at all?
Not until I just planted it yesterday. Sat in the bag and cardboard. It was sealed in the clear wrap it comes in, with the gel. I never opened or watered it. The whole time!

Took the cardboard off of all of them a week and a half a go.

The one previous 6-7 months ago as I mention I planted right away and it did well in my Edge 6.6G, except for the BN pleco.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #3733
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did weekly 20% pwc. Cleaned glass, but it didn't really need much. Sloshed out filter material -- looks good. Trimmed more bacopa australis and planted trimmings. Finally getting that back under control. Added excel and ferts. Fed fish. Enjoyed the pristella tetra feeding frenzy. Cleaned tank cleaning equip.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #3734
Aquarium Advice Addict

Changing the tanks around. Switching all of the fish from the 5.5g to the 10g as well as most all of the plants. I'm also changing the 5.5g around as well. Everything in these two tanks are being changed: the substrate, filters (switching), plants, animals... Long process ahead. Just finished scooping all of the RCS an least killies from the 5.5g and it took FOREVER because of all the babies... Now to cleaning that tank from top to bottom. Then on to the 10g!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #3735
Aquarium Advice FINatic

50% PWC to get rid of these high nitrates!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #3736
Elephant nose Finatic!

50 % clean on my elephant nose tank, and live brine shrimp for tonight!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #3737
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cleaned my snail 2G bowl plant holder.

There were a bunch of baby shrimp in there, I moved them to the planted jar 3G since it holds an extra gallon of water and has the air bubbler in it and a couple RCS too. Had to pick through all the gunk to get the teeny tiny babies out - a few were just specs.

Pic is of it before I changed the bottom to Garnet sand. And the plants were brand new. Snail bowl.

Threw the moss and snails back in the bowl and took out almost all the sand, it was too thick and getting stagnant.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #3738
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Missing it on vacation during the last week of cycling.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #3739
Aquarium Advice Regular

Changed from gravel to sand in my 25 gallon last night and found a baby fish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-142726186.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	184472   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2622971680.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	184473  

Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #3740

Bought 4 acei for my bday.. n caught some omega one 16oz on sale almost as cheap as a 8oz

Edit: thought they were peacefulish...lol they fighting in the bag on the way home :/

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com