What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Currently acclimating these guys as well as some pygmy rasboras, clown killies, and a pair of scarlet badis :dance:

img_3169497_0_03c90cecd1e7518923e3dd51036f92b9.jpg

I think I have some moss products for my shrimp arriving today as well :whistle:

Low Maintenance Tank

Had a 55 G I set up and ran for a few months, no water changes, just emersed the roots of some land plants to keep the nitrogen out of the tank water. Wanted to overhaul it for another Platy tank, because my Red Wags and Sunsets had a new batch of fry. Removed the plants and now have quite a few new Guppy fry too. Apparently, the land plants did a very good job of keeping the tank water free of nitrogen.

B

Added some floating anacharis, cleaned filters, prepared water for a water change on my 2.5 gallon tomorrow, and replanted anacharis in my 2.5 that my naughty crayfish likes ripping out lol :)

Nils

Did my WC today, And filter, Fish follow me about as I do it, waft over the sand substrate and all the ground dwellers are out picking at what they can find, I love it......

Currently acclimating these guys as well as some pygmy rasboras, clown killies, and a pair of scarlet badis :dance:

img_3170100_0_03c90cecd1e7518923e3dd51036f92b9.jpg

I think I have some moss products for my shrimp arriving today as well :whistle:

Yay!!! you got some things you were wanting!

Thought all my Angelfish wigglers were gone yesterday, but last night they were piled up in the cup of "Their" Anubias plant's leaf at bedtime when I was about to shut off the lights. The moon light I leave on so the parents can see the sneaky tank mates coming to eat their babies and chase them off.

So today they are a little cloud around the mom and dad! So cute.

Trying to decide if the fish in the QT are big enough yet to survive the 72G tank. The Rainbow Emperor Tetras have doubled in size, I just hate to see them attacked or chased to death.

Option 1 leave the Baby Angels and let the parents work extra hard to keep them safe see how many make it.

Option 2 is clean out the 35G move the SW to the 35G, only have 25G of SW water to use but I think I can get all the rocks in there and not worry about the low tank for another day or 2. Only the Urchin and a few mushrooms which would do fine I think.

We are in the middle of another storm right now so I couldn't get my refill of water til tomorrow, even if I could make it up to the far away, not so lfs! I might try that.

Then use the 15G for the new babies.

Option 3 is do pwc on the 35G, then acclimate the new babies to the water, as I need to a pwc on the 72G they are in anyway, and use the water they are in now for the 35G refill so it stays as close as possible the same.

That might be the fastest solution but won't get my SW fish in the bigger tank minimum a couple weeks til the babies eat prepared foods :banghead:

Thanks for tolerating my thinking out loud. I didn't think this was an issue yesterday when the wigglers were "gone". lol

Pair#2 is adding new eggs to their stone and fertilizing them as of this morning. Busy, busy fish.

The 35G has been the try and grow micro bugs for the baby angels to eat, I kinda gave that up the last go around, so maybe I will get out the magnifying glass and see if there is any micro bugs activity in there still - "live" food for the little babies. Better get the baby Brine Shrimp going!

Edit addition: Well the Angel parents started to get stressed and were eating some of the babies so I swooped in a net and caught about 15 that were left, then upon them entering the QT, the Emperors thought it was a new food and so I caught them and got them into the 72G. Now nobody's happy. :/ The Parents seem to be guarding the area where the babies were, right now, there were a couple left, I netted one more and got it to the QT. I thought I would turn out the lights and hope everyone calms down.

I got the filter cleaned out in the 15G SW and cleaned some of the tank glass left some for the Urchin. And did a small pwc there.

Pwc on the 12G Edge, and complete clean on the Aqua Farm container, sand, with the new Betta and the snails. Those snails are poop machines. Cleaned all those tanks glass on the outsides and tops and the rim of the SW. The fish from the pwc tanks look happier.

I am bummed about the baby angels. I think I only have 3-5 left. Think this next time I will try to move the wigglers with pair #1 before they turn to swimmers, and maybe even the eggs from the pair #2. I guess a better plan wouldn't hurt, though each time I don't really intend to intervene but then I see the babies and can't help feel bad and hope to save them.

Last edited:
50 % clean on my elephant nose tank, added new plants hopefully they'll look better when they start to fill in. Enjoyed playing with him today, he spent most of the time swimming around my hand nudging me and even lay still in my hand :) that was one long pwc!

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Made a "Wabi Kusa" or planted ball.

Here is the link for the idea - several of us here have made and are making them so if you have too add yours here, or take the idea and run with it!!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/wabi-kusa-and-planted-ball-growing-308856.html#post3172347

60074-albums14298-picture68394.jpg

Moved around some heaters to get them better suited for the tanks I have to match with the heaters abilities.

Added the strip light to the 72G so there are 2 current lights and one stock growing light. Now I need to order some Glut/Metro to start dosing for the plants.

Just added a bunch of pic to my albums and will post some here too. Tonight or tomorrow.

Here is the Decorator Urchin
in the bag during acclimation
60074-albums13960-picture68383.jpg

Carrying around the new bunch of MacroAlgae I got for him - he ate more than half of it since then!!!

60074-albums13960-picture68390.jpg

Happy day!

The sad regular routine ? woke up, turned on all the tanks lights, fed the discus, fed the rcs colony in one tank and the fry in the other, then fed my pea puffer, and then my beta. Would make it easier if they all ate the same food ! And now its time to squeeze in some wc's before work!

Plans for today:

• Treat 16g for BBA :(
  • Finalize a Han Aquatics order for more moss stuff, new addiction of mine
  • Switch out sponge filter for HOB in 10g, first need to rig something up for the intake to keep out shrimplets and Endler fry
  • Do small WCs in the nano tanks

Made a "Wabi Kusa" or planted ball.

Here is the link for the idea - several of us here have made and are making them so if you have too add yours here, or take the idea and run with it!!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/wabi-kusa-and-planted-ball-growing-308856.html#post3172347

60074-albums14298-picture68394.jpg

Moved around some heaters to get them better suited for the tanks I have to match with the heaters abilities.

Added the strip light to the 72G so there are 2 current lights and one stock growing light. Now I need to order some Glut/Metro to start dosing for the plants.

Just added a bunch of pic to my albums and will post some here too. Tonight or tomorrow.

Here is the Decorator Urchin
in the bag during acclimation
60074-albums13960-picture68383.jpg

Carrying around the new bunch of MacroAlgae I got for him - he ate more than half of it since then!!!

60074-albums13960-picture68390.jpg

Happy day!

Love the Urchin Autumn, the color is so cool!
The planted ball is really nice, haven't heard of them before :rolleyes:

16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

WCs on the planted, shrimp and QT. Shook out the contents of the HOB filter in the old tank water. Allowed it to settle and decanted/scooped out 90% of it. Glad I did. Found 12 baby RCS in there along with 2-3 dozen baby MTS. I have a sponge on the HOB filter intake although it is more coarse than fine. I have a mesh media bag that I am not using. If I can get past the whiteness of it, I might they that over the sponge.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Still treating the 16g for BBA. Kevin the nerite doesn't seem to be reacting to it well so I took him out for a while, gave him some broccoli.

Last night I spent a bunch of time cleaning up the dwarf water lettuce...got bored so I might do more today :whistle:

Did some research on live food cultures. Going away next week so that project will get put on hold.

Some male Endlers from an AA member should be arriving today, very excited about that!

Been up since 5am for no particular reason so it's time for a coffee break :eek:

Fed the tanks. Yesterday did fast for the 16G and the 72G

The plants seem to be liking the additional new temporarily set light, Current strip LED laid over the top (testing to see if it is too much light for my dark tank, lol then find a good way to affix it) - plus my stock light and the Current LED fixture.

The big new Ozelot Sword seems to be perking up. and getting used to the tank. The large Hairgrass isn't dying off yet, so I think we are on the right track. I am pleased with that so far. Will need to order more fert caps, I use Ferka from Thailand and really like them but it takes a month for them to arrive. After I get done with the tank clean outs and this round of putting in new caps I will be out.

Spending a little more time wondering about how to move and set the tanks AGAIN, not moving them again, just thinking about it again. :/ I have to move things this next week so my waffling will need to end.

Actually yesterday: rehomed 3 gold tetras; moved in 5 Furcata forktail rainbows, 8 CPDs, and 3 Amano shrimp. Active, festive tank now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

50 % clean on my vampire shrimp tank and rinsed filter's. 1426083788392.jpg
Molly (my son named her! ) decided to come out for a nose :)

16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Back
Top Bottom