Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #3791
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Added 3 otos yesterday. Watched them eating and doing oto tricks today. Very nearly as entertaining as corys. Who knew? And I thought I was getting them to eat algae or something. Fed them a zucchini slice tonight, but doubt they are too hungry because they were eating algae all day. Watched my pristella tetras act like a little band of piranhas at feeding time. They sure are enthusiastic eaters.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #3792
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post
Talking to the fish lol. I find myself doing this whenever im at the tank.

Water changes and daphnia day today.
They missed me!

I was doing some reading about OEBT shrimp and I found some interesting comments about some shrimp...

Shrimp with yellow or white or orange eyes are "blind"!

Comments are being made that they are blind as they are missing some pigment which allows clear vision. So maybe like nearly blind or "legally blind" and can still distinguish between light and dark.

I am astounded! But also thinking it could be true!.

Recently I moved my OEBT tank next to my chair soI could stare at them more often. Lately, now that some are about to full grown size, I have noticed some different behavior, much more active and crazy swimming around the tank.

If they were of low level sight it would explain some of the really crazy behavior, especially dramatically emphasized movements and darting and a seemingly near impossible ability to settle on a leaf or rock like most any other shrimp will do.

This is mostly seen by a group of light to medium blue ones with orange tails and a kinda orange stripe down the back. There are 3-4 can't really tell for sure, and they are very crazy acting while the darest ones seem to be mostly normal behaving.

Occasional darts here and there and swimming like little ballerinas. Picking at the plants and rocks and moss.

This is interesting. I will post my observations on my OEBT thread! Wondering if anyone else has noticed this!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #3793
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

They missed me!

I was doing some reading about OEBT shrimp and I found some interesting comments about some shrimp...

Shrimp with yellow or white or orange eyes are "blind"!

Comments are being made that they are blind as they are missing some pigment which allows clear vision. So maybe like nearly blind or "legally blind" and can still distinguish between light and dark.

I am astounded! But also thinking it could be true!.

Recently I moved my OEBT tank next to my chair soI could stare at them more often. Lately, now that some are about to full grown size, I have noticed some different behavior, much more active and crazy swimming around the tank.

If they were of low level sight it would explain some of the really crazy behavior, especially dramatically emphasized movements and darting and a seemingly near impossible ability to settle on a leaf or rock like most any other shrimp will do.

This is mostly seen by a group of light to medium blue ones with orange tails and a kinda orange stripe down the back. There are 3-4 can't really tell for sure, and they are very crazy acting while the darest ones seem to be mostly normal behaving.

Occasional darts here and there and swimming like little ballerinas. Picking at the plants and rocks and moss.

This is interesting. I will post my observations on my OEBT thread! Wondering if anyone else has noticed this!
That's really interesting information! I've never kept anything but ghost shrimp, but it's good to know just in case

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #3794

Got my goodies in yesterday my water babies are all happy...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130711_141333.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	185539
Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #3795
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Went to lfs to get a new sponge for my daughters tank filter. It's been a year since it has been changed gets rinsed every 2 weeks but think its time. While I was there saw some oto cats I needed more so picked up a few, and some frozen blood worms
Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #3796
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddodad View Post
Went to lfs to get a new sponge for my daughters tank filter. It's been a year since it has been changed gets rinsed every 2 weeks but think its time. While I was there saw some oto cats I needed more so picked up a few, and some frozen blood worms
Always seem to walk out with more than what we came in for. :guilty:
Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #3797
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990 View Post

Always seem to walk out with more than what we came in for. :guilty:
Yup I always find with my lfs, Walmart and Costco I can never run in for just one thing. Good old consumerism
Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #3798
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did a 50% pwc and the fish are all happy!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #3799

50% pwc on all tanks. 125, 110, 75, 20 and both 55's.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #3800
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wc on both tanks. In the 10g I have been babying a sprig of water wisteria that I left floating for about a month, now it's a nice mat. I moved it to the 29 which has a sprig of wisteria so I'm doing it all over again. added new dw to the 29g. It's been a productive Friday. On CL, I found a 70g tank+stand. It's 75 obo and for an extra $20, they will deliver. I have the $$ but I've to hold myself back from buying it. :no room; :bang head:

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com