What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regretting buying the two tetra species (neons and black skirts) now. Under a dimmer light they would probably be a lot better, but not under my light. Wish I went with a GBR pair and a school of celestial pearl danios, but whats done is done and I live with my choices.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's how the hobby is. We all probably have lived and learned.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Regretting buying the two tetra species (neons and black skirts) now. Under a dimmer light they would probably be a lot better, but not under my light. Wish I went with a GBR pair and a school of celestial pearl danios, but whats done is done and I live with my choices.

I'd take your tetras... I'll buy them from you so you can get the danios and GBR. PM if interested.

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras

I'd take your tetras... I'll buy them from you so you can get the danios and GBR. PM if interested.

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras

Thanks, but having them gives me an excuse to buy a 20L and make it low tech ;)

Found the last kuhli in the QT dead. Going to call lfs again in a bit to tell them. I know the tank is cycled because I used bio rings from my 29 canister. Sucks because these 3 where good sized too.
Also can't find any kuhlies in the 29. Normally one is hanging out in the blyxa or staurogyne repens but nothing in past 24hrs. :(

Thanks, but having them gives me an excuse to buy a 20L and make it low tech ;)

Found the last kuhli in the QT dead. Going to call lfs again in a bit to tell them. I know the tank is cycled because I used bio rings from my 29 canister. Sucks because these 3 where good sized too.
Also can't find any kuhlies in the 29. Normally one is hanging out in the blyxa or staurogyne repens but nothing in past 24hrs. :(

What are the water parameters?

Have to test, but everything including nitrates should be near 0. Im busy with final projects, studying for big tests, and other homework so don't have any time to check. I did pull enough water to run multiple tests though so when I get time I'll test.

Near zero isn't cycled or you have too much of a bioload and not enough BB. Defiantly check water params, something's off

Not always true in planted tanks. With a low bioload, plants like hornwort can consume most of the nitrates in the tank.

Caleb

Near zero isn't cycled or you have too much of a bioload and not enough BB. Defiantly check water params, something's off

I drained the tank the day before I got the fish that's why I know everything should be near zero. I dug down into the sand to try and get as much water out as possible.

I also have a good amount of ludwigia repens which is IMO a fast growing nutrient hog like anacharis or hornwort.

Not always true in planted tanks. With a low bioload, plants like hornwort can consume most of the nitrates in the tank.

Caleb

You misread me. I'm referring to the presence of ammonia and nitrites. If you're showing either, your tank is doing a mini cycle and need to treat it as such. I can drain my smaller tanks completely and refill and it won't read any ammonia or 'trites. Ammonia and nitrites are both very toxic to fish.

So this is over the last couple of days:

I took the guppies out of my 20 long tank and gave them to a friend who keeps guppies in my local aquarium club because I wanted something a little different. This left just cherry shrimp in the tank and because I didn't need all of the plants for coverage I was able to take a few out and also give those to someone else in my club who is just starting out with plants.

I went to my LFS today to get pygmy coreys but they only had one left so I decided to wait for them to get more in (they always have them usually a ton except this week since that's what I went there for) so today instead I bought a pair of dwarf anchor catfish. Sooo cute! They're still acclimating but later I will get some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Got two platies for my fiance for mothers day! It's literally all she wanted, lol. Unfortunately I wasn't paying enough attention and one of them has developed ich while the other has fin rot... Good thing we put them in the 10 gallon guppy/quarantine tank. Salt treatment has begun!

Got two platies for my fiance for mothers day! It's literally all she wanted, lol. Unfortunately I wasn't paying enough attention and one of them has developed ich while the other has fin rot... Good thing we put them in the 10 gallon guppy/quarantine tank. Salt treatment has begun!

Where have you been?!?! Sorry to hear the platy D:

Caleb

Where have you been?!?! Sorry to hear the platy D:

Caleb

Finals; Drowning in finals. Then I had tons of paperwork to fill out for my internship, and applying for apartments so that my fiance and I can move in together, and then I was so dead tired after all of it that I spent the last few days off the grid spending time with my fiance who I haven't seen in almost a month. (Also with her fish tanks with the fish I haven't seen in a month)

It's just good we caught the issue early, and that we wisely put them in the 10 gallon as a quarantine. Also that both ich and fin rot can be treated with salt.

Well I got 2 new fish today!

First one is a test subject for the JD tank. A male convict cichlid. JD is still the dominant one so far.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431474186.462631.jpg

And a fully mature male angel. :) he seems to like my younger angel and they are swimming together which is a relief.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431474400.779254.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431474474.800888.jpg

Caleb

My light died in my 55g cichlid and I am out of money due to ordering supplies for my 55g future planted. Its awful to look at.

Traded and got a thin "rocky" 3D background 48x20" for the 72G to try out, and spare heater and little Beamswork 12" light in exchange for Anubias nanas, moss and Java Fern chunks and Rotallas.

Got several Vallisneria americana Eel Grass the very big one, like I used to have from a hobbyist in town. I am so excited, I havent found it anywhere in 1.5 years!!! Offered to help with a tank transfer (he's having surgery soon and is looking to move 3 tanks into a 72G Bowfront), for more plants and a few fish. Going to give him a couple lonely fish in my tank, as they don't have schools anymore and I am not restocking them any time soon.

He has some Russian Red Guppies - considering possibly to try them in SW. Later I will trade him some for some shrimp. Fun to find new trading source.

Later after going to my lfs and finding them closed!!!, argh, went to the thrift store next door and found a good condition Acrylic hex stand /pedestal which will fit at an angle flat side to flat side, my 12G Edge, the 5G fluval Chi Betta tank or the 15G column tank which ever I decide on (lol, so many options). For $7.50!!! Now trying to make up my mind which one and where! I am posting a new ? in DIY for a top for my rimless 12G so my fish won't jump out, if i set that up as a FW with CPD's!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom