What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. So I tested my KH and GH in my 60. I recently lost two cardinals ( had for 8 months) 1 neon (6mo) and two new neons. All the rest of the fish are fine. (Zebras, yoyos, guppies, white clouds, cherry barbs and rummynose).
My KH is a 4.5. Which is great for my plants and tropical community fish. But the GH is a 12!! So if I understand correctly I have non-carbonate hardness? My ph is a7.4 after I did 5 gallons of RO water. ( too expensive near me).
How can I lower my GH so my fish thrive and the plants grow best? I have a 48" T5HO double bulb light and Co2 system. I fert with root tabs and liq ferts.
Any ideas guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Often the evaporation condenses the GH and the plants use up the KH so you get a bad ratio. You can check your tap water GH to see the comparison. If lower, then you need to catch up on the pwc and get the ratio back in line ith the fresh water. If tap is too much GH cut it with RO water.

:banghead:Gassed a bunch of my fish.:banghead:

So sorry to hear that.

Got back from my trip a little early.

Did pwc on one tank which was missed in the lighting and food care for a couple days, (only one in a different room) and then it got overfed to make up for it :/ Has only 4 Chili Rasboras so it was wayyyyy too much food for them. The snails were pretty happy.

Added in a bunch of water to all the tanks from evaporation and fed.

Going to check the tanks and do a couple more pwc.

Changed my top fin 10 filter out with a marineland Penguin 100. Excited about the upgrade!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Decided to suck it up and clean the rest of the old aquarium equipment.
I cleaned the tank about a week ago and leak checked it.
I got the filter together, cleaned and tested it. Luckily I have the old biomaterial to go in the filter, hopefully I can cut cycle time with it.
Cleaned the gravel as well, that was a chore.
I need to finalize where I actually want to put the tank, then I'll start cycling lol
It needs a new heater, but I have decorations to put in.
I still can't decide whether I should split it, or just move one betta in and stock around him.
Anyone have any recommendations for what I could stock in a 10 gallon with one (small) betta? He's male unfortunately. I wouldn't have chosen to take him, but he was a rescue. Felt awful for the poor little guy.

8 or so ember tetras would work. Embers are really fast swimmers so they work well with bettas. They aren't very fin nippy either. It depends on your betta though. Check his temperament with other fish first before investing.

As for what I did today, im on day 3 of my betta breeding. The male and female are still courting but they aren't aggressive anymore and the female is showing breeding bars everytime I put her in his tank! :D

Bought a 20 long in the $/gal sale and thought about a 40 breeder for a sw QT...might have to go back soon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

German red peacocks I received from popparyno.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1435893413403.jpg
    1435893413403.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 1435893426707.jpg
    1435893426707.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 1435893444244.jpg
    1435893444244.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 93
Added some Mayaca fluviatilis this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 84
I replaced my aquarium gravel with sand, took out some decorations, and started soaking some new wood pieces in the aquarium bucket to get them ready to put in the tank. I'm transitioning to a more natural looking tank - though I'm not getting rid of my Greek vase! I love that thing too much.

Water change day on the tanks.

2 x 10g 50% change
10g SW 20% change
40g 50% change
45g 50% change
75g 40% change

Caleb

What fish are you going to put in it? And what size tank is it?

2 ocellaris clowfish, 1 royal gramma, 1 sixline wrasse, 1 foxface lo, 2 pink spotted watchman goby, 1 peppermint shrimp, and 1 cleaner shrimp in a 75 gal FOWLR

2 ocellaris clowfish, 1 royal gramma, 1 sixline wrasse, 1 foxface lo, 2 pink spotted watchman goby, 1 peppermint shrimp, and 1 cleaner shrimp in a 75 gal FOWLR

Nice, although a larger wrasse would look nice as well. "Hint, hint" I have kept several and they are fun to watch as they zoom around and explore. I have found out that pink striped wrasse's are much better to keep then six lines because they are less aggressive and still help out with bristle worm control.

Nice, although a larger wrasse would look nice as well. "Hint, hint" I have kept several and they are fun to watch as they zoom around and explore. I have found out that pink striped wrasse's are much better to keep then six lines because they are less aggressive and still help out with bristle worm control.

What larger wrasse would you recommend for a beginner? I really liked the looks of the sixline.

My pump died on my saltwater tank making the most annoying sound I've ever heard when it is running. I got a new one today but opted for 1 size bigger. Holy crap it's a big jump in size. I was worried for a bit that it wouldn't fit.

gtnP7lk.jpg

The Mccosker wrasses are really nice and get fairly sizable. They are jumpers tho

Why did i even ask...it is true the really cool fish are always more expensive!!!!! Might have to think about that wrasse now.

Why did i even ask...it is true the really cool fish are always more expensive!!!!! Might have to think about that wrasse now.

I have one and he's awesome, his colors are a little muted though. Im planning on getting him 3 or 4 females to keep him company

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom