Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #4591
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishlover3578 View Post
I hoping mine do well if not I could prob get a few more cory of same type for each at least the Julie are a pair I started off with one lone peppered cory.
Ideally of course they would have a bunch of buddies of their same kind. I have three or 4 kinds, a Brochis aka Emerald Catfish, Two Bronze Cories and one which is a little greenish, can't really tell if it is the same as the Bronze but looks like it and over the last year and a half hasn't become large sized like the Emerald, but they are buddies, and a Orange Laser Cory, I am expecting to get three more this next week.

They all kinda hang out together, but pair off and go their separate ways. Following each other and chasing each other and checking to see what the other one(s)find. I started with 1 Emerald and it seems he was happy enough by himself, but he seemed even happier when his little buddy came, I didn't know at first they liked to shoal, or even what a shoal was actually at the time. The 2 Bronze used to be 3 and they were adopted/came with a fish tank (didn't know they were in there at first it was sooo dirty. Orange Laser came from a lfs in a mixed Cory tank of wilds and it was so stunning for under $5, then realized how much they normally cost, and how hard it was to find them locally - $18 from the lfs if they even have them!

Having different ones in a group is better than nothing, but they do seem to like their own kind best.

For about a year I had been looking for Dwarf Cories, reasonably priced so I could get a big bunch, now moving the tank's inhabitants around and shutting down one tank and using one for a breeding tank for the Koi Angels, I may not have a good space for them atm.

It is time to reorganize my piles, two under 2 fish tanks. 2 drawers under the other fish tank and one shelf in the storage closet and a plastic tub too. It is time to get rid of some more stuff! No Ideas what to do with a sponge Bob Pineapple, a pirate ship and a small armload of plastic plants, lol / stuff that comes with stuff I end up with, lol

KJACKS are your babies, Mystery snails or Ramshorns?

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #4592

KJACKS are your babies, Mystery snails or Ramshorns?[/QUOTE]

Oops removed too much...
Got 10 ramshorn sacs 1 mystery snail sac and a new batch of baby ramshorns

Old 09-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #4593
Aquarium Advice Addict

Need for Tank Filtration?

Have come to the conclusion after several years of large, weekly water changes, that water is really inexpensive and a high end filter system and maintenance, in general, is really not. So, in place of the filter system, will install a large air pump that's been sitting around, attach just the plastic tube and run the tube to the bottom of the tank for surface movement (gas exchange). I'm pretty certain I can up the water changes to half the tank volume twice weekly and remove the filtration system altogether with no harm to the fish.

The wastes will never build up in the tank to harm the fish, because there will be too much pure water flushing out the nitrogen.

Anyway, here goes.

B
Old 09-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #4594
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Have come to the conclusion after several years of large, weekly water changes, that water is really inexpensive and a high end filter system and maintenance, in general, is really not. So, in place of the filter system, will install a large air pump that's been sitting around, attach just the plastic tube and run the tube to the bottom of the tank for surface movement (gas exchange). I'm pretty certain I can up the water changes to half the tank volume twice weekly and remove the filtration system altogether with no harm to the fish.

The wastes will never build up in the tank to harm the fish, because there will be too much pure water flushing out the nitrogen.

Anyway, here goes.

B
Are you going to have any place for a solid colony of BB? Or is the water exchange the idea/no need for BB. What if you go away for a trip (for fun or illness)?

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

Old 09-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #4595
Aquarium Advice Freak

Finished plumbing and documenting our 20G Grow Out Tank

6G Planted 360° Round and Tall - 2G Pico Cube - 2G Nano Long - 23G Rimless Community Build - 20G Grow Out Tank
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #4596
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello neighbor...

As we know, the beneficial bacteria lives on all the surfaces within the tank, so there should be more than enough to use the small bit of nitrogen that might build up in the water. I'm banking on the fact that the twice weekly, 50 percent water changes will dilute whatever wastes the fish produce to the point there will be no traces of ammonia or nitrite and minimal nitrate.

I don't feed much, just a little twice a week, so there's not much waste produced and the tank is heavily planted with Anubias and Pennywort.

I don't anticipate a problem with the water chemistry. But, I may have to blow the dust off my water testing kit and check things.

Thanks for the comment.

B
Old 09-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #4597
Aquarium Advice Addict

Vacation Tank care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Are you going to have any place for a solid colony of BB? Or is the water exchange the idea/no need for BB. What if you go away for a trip (for fun or illness)?
Hello again...

Interesting question about trips. I've actually been gone from my tanks for more than two weeks. Here's how I handled things: Called a friend to come check on the mechanical end of things. She knows really nothing about tanks other than I showed the filtration system and how to check if it's running or not. No feeding, though. I never let someone else feed my fish.

Anyway, I fed all my fish a little more and a little more often a couple of weeks before I left. A day prior to leaving, I stopped all feeding and changed out a bit more than half the water in the tanks. Most adult fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food. Mine lived off their small "fat reserves" and spent their time foraging for any leftovers. When I came back, the tank was clean and the fish were fine.

B
Old 09-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #4598
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Anyway, I fed all my fish a little more and a little more often a couple of weeks before I left. A day prior to leaving, I stopped all feeding and changed out a bit more than half the water in the tanks. Most adult fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food. Mine lived off their small "fat reserves" and spent their time foraging for any leftovers. When I came back, the tank was clean and the fish were fine.
Thanks for this info, good to know what works for others

Do you feed daily or do you skip days during a regular week?

I think the natural tendency for most of us is to overfeed as it is one of the few direct interactions we have with our aquatic friends... or maybe I'm the only one.

6G Planted 360° Round and Tall - 2G Pico Cube - 2G Nano Long - 23G Rimless Community Build - 20G Grow Out Tank
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #4599
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks for the comment.
B[/QUOTE]

Hi B
There isn't much concern with getting too much build up with the way you are describing the process. I don't think you would have anything to worry about there. It would be good to test just for the interest in how it goes... with that little food I can't even imagine you would need more than one pwc, but 2 pwc is better to ensure clean water, the test kit will reveal all.

So I checked on the not well Betta, he is alive, up at the top hanging out, I am gonna get the new heater today. Leaving in a few, also returning the fern that was too big for the top of the Chi tank.

Still deliberating on the consolidation of the tanks and inhabitants. If I move over things there are just a few fish which don't have a good place. So still working out the details.

Did pwc on the Frog bowl, he and she both seemed active and that is great.

Cleaned out the extra floaters in the 72G.

Community Rules

Old 09-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #4600
Aquarium Advice Addict

Vacation Tank care

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
Thanks for this info, good to know what works for others

Do you feed daily or do you skip days during a regular week?

I think the natural tendency for most of us is to overfeed as it is one of the few direct interactions we have with our aquatic friends... or maybe I'm the only one.
Hello octane...

Overfeeding the fish opens the tank to all kinds of problems. In the years I've been in the water keeping hobby, I've found if I can do an extremely good job of keeping the tank water pure, I can avoid most, if not all problems associated with keeping healthy fish and plants.

I only feed twice a week, whether I have fry in the tank or not. From day one they learn to forage, which keeps them active. I feed mostly frozen, a little freeze dried and very, very little flaked. Flaked food generally has a lot of additives and isn't that good for the fish. To me, it fouls the tank water. I also feed a bit of minced garlic. Nothing better as far as veggies go. By the way, it won't make the tank water smell.

Thanks for the comment.

B

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com