What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2G pwc on the broken filter Edge 6.6G

Removed some very clean plants and moss which was put into the SAE QT tank and the little sweeties cleaned every bit of algae off of that bunch.

Then added in a huge clump of algae from a plant vase on the patio. Already see them sniffing around the giant glob :).

The big CAS fall auction is in less than a week so I will let them munch away on that before they go to the 72G. Had fun watching them munch Spirulina flakes yesterday like mad so figured they could use a little extra munchies for growing.

Then will have the 12G Mr. Aqua available for a new batch of fish if bidding is successful at the auction!

Going to buy a big bunch of Anubias Pinto this next week and planning on some rescaping soon after.

Also looking for some starter CRS with nice white shells S grade if anyone knows of some please shoot me a PM especially if interested in trading for some Pinto!!! ;)

Need to do some replanting of up rooted plants in the 72G and add in some new substrate ferts.

SW - cleaned the filter pads and added water for evap, on both the 35G and 5G.

Added water from evap on all the rest of the tanksand realized I need more Prime - again! So stopping on the way to work for a new bottle, can't ever have too much
Prime in stock, lol.

The splashing water noises from the lowered water drive me crazy!

2G pwc on the broken filter Edge 6.6G

Removed some very clean plants and moss which was put into the SAE QT tank and the little sweeties cleaned every bit of algae off of that bunch.

Then added in a huge clump of algae from a plant vase on the patio. Already see them sniffing around the giant glob :).

The big CAS fall auction is in less than a week so I will let them munch away on that before they go to the 72G. Had fun watching them munch Spirulina flakes yesterday like mad so figured they could use a little extra munchies for growing.

Then will have the 12G Mr. Aqua available for a new batch of fish if bidding is successful at the auction!

Going to buy a big bunch of Anubias Pinto this next week and planning on some rescaping soon after.

Also looking for some starter CRS with nice white shells S grade if anyone knows of some please shoot me a PM especially if interested in trading for some Pinto!!! ;)

Need to do some replanting of up rooted plants in the 72G and add in some new substrate ferts.

SW - cleaned the filter pads and added water for evap, on both the 35G and 5G.

Added water from evap on all the rest of the tanksand realized I need more Prime - again! So stopping on the way to work for a new bottle, can't ever have too much
Prime in stock, lol.

The splashing water noises from the lowered water drive me crazy!

Isn't Pinto the one that's crazy expensive?

PMd you about CRS.

Had to laugh at your last comment, two tanks in the room with me that need to be topped off, more because of the noise bothering me than anything else :blink:

Yep Pinto is the expensive one. Really cool relatively new plant. Stuff goes for a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Working a deal for 20+ leaves. Yes, they sell by how many leaves, lol.

Local CAS member has a bunch, evidently grows very well for him (he is an excellent keeper). He's probably taking the rest to the auction and it will go for tons of $$ or reasonable. Most people are only wanting to pay reasonable prices for a plant. I got mine staked out ahead of time so I can be sure to be able to get some. Just needed a special treat for my rescape. If I have to downsize my # of tanks, then I want to be thrilled with my tank(s). My kind of retail therapy. ;) I don't give a hoot about high heeled shoes, lol.

Have offers out on local trades for deleting some of my tanks, supplies and equipment.

Took off the filter of the newer "broken filter" 6.6G Edge and found a little bunch (3) of impleller stopping MTS growing up and causing more trouble than normal!

Then since I had to take off the back of the unit I decided to try to figure out how to replace the light bar (one that got all the water in it and burned out mostly).

I have a 21 light replacement from a Fluval warranty replacement part of the original halogen light bar. Previously couldn't figure it out so it has sat in the cupboard for maybe 2 years Instructions were to remove the screws and replace. Well come to find out there are 4 screws 2 on the arms, not just 2 on the hinge so that is why I couldn't pull the bar off of the body last time. Took less than 5 minutes! :facepalm:

Will order the bigger light bar for the other tank this next week. Considering possibly ordering the 42 LED usually used on the taller 12G for the 6.6G they are interchangeable and play with some high light plants. More thinking, lol. Really thinking it would be an algae mess. (could try the 4 on, 4 off x2 lighting though) More thinking needed there.

Though for ~$50 for a light arm and $90 for a whole new Edge 6.6G tank or $120 for a new 12G (that's on sale and with a discount) And $25 for a new filter. I am considering a new white 12G to go with my white stand (just thinking mind you.)

Also now wondering if I could figure out how to retrofit the old broken light bar with new more powerful LEDs if it would be worth it or not.

After a bit of a lull I am feeling the energy come back to my fish keeping life. Ahhhh.....

Wishing I didn't still have tons of priority projects that need finishing before having more fun ones to focus on.

Last edited:
...Though for ~$50 for a light arm and $90 for a whole new Edge 6.6G tank or $120 for a new 12G (that's on sale and with a discount) And $25 for a new filter. I am considering a new white 12G to go with my white stand (just thinking mind you.)

Also now wondering if I could figure out how to retrofit the old broken light bar with new more powerful LEDs if it would be worth it or not...

It might be possible to remove to light bar and place one of the appropriately sized Finnex LEDs (StingRAY, FugeRAY) on top.

It might be possible to remove to light bar and place one of the appropriately sized Finnex LEDs (StingRAY, FugeRAY) on top.

There was a retrofit I saw recently, with additional plastic around the cover keeping it looking nearly stock but wider to accomodate the wide light, but it requires good plastics building skills and I think I will be pushing my limits learning more about the lighting already.

A local CAS member builds his own LED lights and has a how to guide. I will see him at the auction so maybe I will check if he has a minute to give his opinion. I have a little Beamworks as the substitute light I have been using. It wasn't very strong and all my little mini moss fell to pieces and is floating all over the tank now (mostly on top).

A mess I will get to soon, but later. That tank will be getting new substrate and a new scape after the auction any way.

Maybe ordering the substrate tonight.

I got 3 more bags of fluorite, a bottle of flourish, root tabs, and some other stuff and once I get a co2 system setup I will order fish and plants

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well it wasn't today but yesterday I got 10 more Cory habrosus for my nano community tank :) a few weeks ago one of my LFS had gotten 6 of them and someone only bought 4 of the 6. I grabbed them figuring I would get more and until they got more for me they could hang out with my Pygmy school. They finally got more in so now I have a school of 12 :)

For whatever reason my imagur/phone isn't playing nicely so I can't get the new pic to upload but here is the pic of the original pair

http://i.imgur.com/NaanjTr.png

Added a second reactor bottle to my diy co2 setup. Seems to be working great after a few hours of frustration waiting for it to start rollin!

Jesse

Well it wasn't today but yesterday I got 10 more Cory habrosus for my nano community tank :) a few weeks ago one of my LFS had gotten 6 of them and someone only bought 4 of the 6. I grabbed them figuring I would get more and until they got more for me they could hang out with my Pygmy school. They finally got more in so now I have a school of 12 :)

For whatever reason my imagur/phone isn't playing nicely so I can't get the new pic to upload but here is the pic of the original pair

http://i.imgur.com/NaanjTr.png

Nice pic, I love the small cories! I've found habrosus to be more active in other parts of the tank the pygmaeus.

Side note: actually found 2 pygmies in the Spec 5 when I broke it down, they moved in with the pygmy spotted rasboras. Will have to add more the next time I do a fish order :flowers:

Crazy fun fish auction today

SAE from the QT were moved to the 72G btw.

Long list and a had to set up the 46G bowfront to QT all the fish in the tank, lol.

3 Emperor tetras to go with my other 3 (in 72G), QT in the 12G edit: found 2 to be Black Emperor Tetras, hoping they still school together. So pale in the bag , couldn't tell they were the black ones. Pretty fish though.

2 F Melanotaenia sexlineata From Gary Lange so I think it is 'Tabubils', in 12G

Rest in 46G

4 Turquoise Rainbow Melanotaenia lacustris (at lease 2 F labeled as such, and I am pretty sure the other two from the mixed bag were Turquoise (they are males though for sure)

3 Madagascan Rainbow Bedotia gaeyi - 2 were supposed to be a pair, though the 3rd was from a mixed bag and I don't know yet.

Pair Melanotaenia parkinsoni Orange Rainbowfish - Old variety

2 unknown Rainbows mixed bag

Trio Melanotaenia goldiei from Gary Lange I think "Dekai" Will need to check that out.

Lucked out here...tried to by 4 for $45 but the person I was bidding against said she would pay anything so I bowed out. Then at the end of the auction, another guy bought a bag of 4, I bowed out as my budget was already stretched, then he ended up saying he would give me a pair for half what he paid - $25 , then he said $10 and gave me the other female too! So happy and thankful for the bonus.

Hard to see most of these young fish's colors. The two Turquoise blue green males were pretty bright in the bag even, from the top looking down - pretty colorful and very promising, they were in the mixed bag.

Got a Finnex 21 LED clip light for $8

Dwarf hair grass gel pack/tissue culture

2 Bags of Guppygrass

12" Ruffled Sword

Huge moss ball, baseball size for $8 from donor Florida Aquatic Nursery.

4 Huge Americana Giant Vals

2 post of Micro Sword

Some interesting ceramic fence - not too sure why I bought it but it seemed to call my name, lol

I didnt buy these but;

One of the crazy good deals of the night was a potted Giant Amazon Sword mother plant with 2 - 2 foot long runners with babies for $8!!!

And the best deal was a huge Madagascar Lace plant with about 20 leaves and it went for $12 :eek: It was a crazy amazing good deal! Felt I wouldn't have enought light for it to survive and the guy next to me wanted it and he offered maybe a start if it took off.

I tried 3 times to get Pygmy Sunfish but they went for too much for my budget.

Looks like all fish made it into my QT tanks alive.

Auction went for 8 hours - longer if you include the line to get checked out.

Hooking up the A/C 110 on the 46G with some seeded bulk media pad and large heater.

Everything went so late I didn't get to pick ip the Pinto anubias, guy couldn't make it to the auction, but then it was too late whan I got out of there.

Another day.

`````````
Found a home for my SW Saddleback Clownfish pair - will go next week.

Adjusted the Sw ratio in the 5G tank and needed to add fresh water for the 35G.

Moved 2 tanks around to fit the newly placed 46G bowfront for the new rainbow QT.

I am tired!!!

Last edited:
Some interesting ceramic fence - not too sure why I bought it but it seemed to call my name, lol
Auction went for 8 hours - longer if you include the line to get checked out....
I am tired!!!

You should be! Sounds like you had a blast and got some good deals.

SAE from the QT were moved to the 72G btw.

Long list and a had to set up the 46G bowfront to QT all the fish in the tank, lol.

3 Emperor tetras to go with my other 3 (in 72G), QT in the 12G edit: found 2 to be Black Emperor Tetras, hoping they still school together. So pale in the bag , couldn't tell they were the black ones. Pretty fish though.

2 F Melanotaenia sexlineata From Gary Lange so I think it is 'Tabubils', in 12G

Rest in 46G

4 Turquoise Rainbow Melanotaenia lacustris (at lease 2 F labeled as such, and I am pretty sure the other two from the mixed bag were Turquoise (they are males though for sure)

3 Madagascan Rainbow Bedotia gaeyi - 2 were supposed to be a pair, though the 3rd was from a mixed bag and I don't know yet.

Pair Melanotaenia parkinsoni Orange Rainbowfish - Old variety

2 unknown Rainbows mixed bag

Trio Melanotaenia goldiei from Gary Lange I think "Dekai" Will need to check that out.

Lucked out here...tried to by 4 for $45 but the person I was bidding against said she would pay anything so I bowed out. Then at the end of the auction, another guy bought a bag of 4, I bowed out as my budget was already stretched, then he ended up saying he would give me a pair for half what he paid - $25 , then he said $10 and gave me the other female too! So happy and thankful for the bonus.

Hard to see most of these young fish's colors. The two Turquoise blue green males were pretty bright in the bag even, from the top looking down - pretty colorful and very promising, they were in the mixed bag.

Got a Finnex 21 LED clip light for $8

Dwarf hair grass gel pack/tissue culture

2 Bags of Guppygrass

12" Ruffled Sword

Huge moss ball, baseball size for $8 from donor Florida Aquatic Nursery.

4 Huge Americana Giant Vals

2 post of Micro Sword

I didnt buy these but;

One of the crazy good deals of the night was a potted Giant Amazon Sword mother plant with 2 - 2 foot long runners with babies for $8!!!

And the best deal was a huge Madagascar Lace plant with about 20 leaves and it went for $12 :eek: It was a crazy amazing good deal! Felt I wouldn't have enought light for it to survive and the guy next to me wanted it and he offered maybe a start if it took off.

I tried 3 times to get Pygmy Sunfish but they went for too much for my budget.

Looks like all fish made it into my QT tanks alive.

Auction went for 8 hours - longer if you include the line to get checked out.

Hooking up the A/C 110 on the 46G with some seeded bulk media pad and large heater.

Everything went so late I didn't get to pick ip the Pinto anubias, guy couldn't make it to the auction, but then it was too late whan I got out of there.

Another day.

`````````
Found a home for my SW Saddleback Clownfish pair - will go next week.

Adjusted the Sw ratio in the 5G tank and needed to add fresh water for the 35G.

Moved 2 tanks around to fit the newly placed 46G bowfront for the new rainbow QT.

I am tired!!!

Those are some AMAZING deals! I would've had pulled the trigger on that huge mother sword with runners immediately, I love swords! Sounds like you did get your share though! Pygmy sunfish are really cool but I've never seen them in person before.

Fed my 75 gal, 20 gal, and 29 gal. My wrasse scared the ? out of me. He decided it was a good idea to lay on the bottom after eating. Thought he was going on me!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fed my 75 gal, 20 gal, and 29 gal. My wrasse scared the �� out of me. He decided it was a good idea to lay on the bottom after eating. Thought he was going on me!!

That sounds like a scary trick he was playing, a little early for halloween pranks!!

As for the auction, I put a heavy load on the budget as it was, plus the big expense going out for the Pinto and fish, money was earmarked for that.

Also picking up the Pinto Tuesday eve. and some dried leaves and adding about 6 more Melini Cories to the 5 I already have and thinking that they will be much more active all over the tank with more friends.

Have the nice big variety of Rainbow fish in the 46G (2 in the 12G) doing a 5+G pwc on their tank and in the morning adding some substrate, extra eco complete from one of the plant grow out buckets outside.

Have some of the most vigorous looking Elodea (Going into the 46G) I have ever seen growing - in that bucket, throwing oodles of flowers all summer from a opaque bucket covered with duckweed under the shade of a tree. Crazy. I can barely get it to grow in my fish tanks!

Dropping off that bunch of duckweed (two buckets 3/4 of an inch + thick) for a lady with a pond of Koi and Goldies before the frost gets it Wednesday/Thursday. That will be one bucket cleared out! Yippee. If I can I will add the DW and rocks from the other bucket also. It will be a bit of a hodge podge in the tank, but it will clear out the buckets and give lots of cover for the QT Rainbows.

I went to set up the 36" Current USA light on the 46G and remembered that the batteries died in the remote. So need new ones of those tomorrow. Didn't have the intake tube with the A/C 110 in the closet, now need to go hunting around for that too. :facepalm:

Didn't have any responses to my request for CRS locally, and not a one at the auction. So going to broaden my nets here and possibly "online" this week or next.

That sounds like a scary trick he was playing, a little early for halloween pranks!!

As for the auction, I put a heavy load on the budget as it was, plus the big expense going out for the Pinto and fish, money was earmarked for that.

Also picking up the Pinto Tuesday eve. and some dried leaves and adding about 6 more Melini Cories to the 5 I already have and thinking that they will be much more active all over the tank with more friends.

Have the nice big variety of Rainbow fish in the 46G (2 in the 12G) doing a 5+G pwc on their tank and in the morning adding some substrate, extra eco complete from one of the plant grow out buckets outside.

Have some of the most vigorous looking Elodea (Going into the 46G) I have ever seen growing - in that bucket, throwing oodles of flowers all summer from a opaque bucket covered with duckweed under the shade of a tree. Crazy. I can barely get it to grow in my fish tanks!

Dropping off that bunch of duckweed (two buckets 3/4 of an inch + thick) for a lady with a pond of Koi and Goldies before the frost gets it Wednesday/Thursday. That will be one bucket cleared out! Yippee. If I can I will add the DW and rocks from the other bucket also. It will be a bit of a hodge podge in the tank, but it will clear out the buckets and give lots of cover for the QT Rainbows.

I went to set up the 36" Current USA light on the 46G and remembered that the batteries died in the remote. So need new ones of those tomorrow. Didn't have the intake tube with the A/C 110 in the closet, now need to go hunting around for that too. :facepalm:

Didn't have any responses to my request for CRS locally, and not a one at the auction. So going to broaden my nets here and possibly "online" this week or next.

It was like an evil prank!! Today he is normal; nice, active, and off the bottom lol

I'm taking a little break from scraping most of the coraline and other build up on a used refugium I got a few weeks ago...i thought green spot algae was bad, but this is terrible!!!

Picked up two nice portions of Anubias Nana 'Pinto' with about 18 leaves each if you count the tiny ones. One of the more crazy things I have done, admittedly.

The 6 new Cory Melini also went into QT, though I trust his fish and all the last ones were very healthy. Just being sure.

Now off to work on the other stuff...

Fed the fish and noticed reduced flow on my filter. Cleaned it and HOLY COW I've never had that much poop before. The sponges turned the water black when I squeezed them out.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom