What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 5.5 died completely. I didn't realize it until I was removing fish and snails for the 40. Nothing but nasty sulfur in my face.

Soaked the sand and gravel in vinegar, lightly rinsed and then boiled the heck out of it for a couple of hours. Vinegar gets more caustic when boiled btw, something to think about. Rinsed it for half an hour solid (my poor back!) and put it back in the tank which had been wiped down with vinegar, then rinsed. Neither smell nor cloudiness when I sift the sand. Going to leave it with filter, bubbles, heater and substrate. Also boiled DW and set it on a shelf to dry out. No idea what to do. Maybe a breeding trio of class N Endlers? Some moss balls?

Do you know what happened to the tank?

You could do a trio of Endlers, even a trio of scarlet badis would work in that size tank. School of micro rasboras. Shrimp.

Grass had grown up 3/4 the height of the tank. Gave it a trim. Gave the cories back as they were scaring and running over the smaller fish. Will finish skimming the cut grass later. I really need to set up a trimming siphon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449526727.599991.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449526727.599991.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 77
Grass had grown up 3/4 the height of the tank. Gave it a trim. Gave the cories back as they were scaring and running over the smaller fish. Will finish skimming the cut grass later. I really need to set up a trimming siphon.

Can't remember where I saw it, but someone had connected a waterproof trimmer (beard trimmer?) to s siphon hose. Essentially an underwater flo-bee.

You just helped me crack up the whole smoking area here at work. :)

Mebid, I didn't know you had an engineer goby. Is it doing well? I love them and I owned one for a while and he survived everything until I gave him to my friend and they noticed he was acting funny but did nothing and he ended up because he was doing so poorly the serpent star was able to grab him and take a chunk out of his tail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its doing great, just about done transitioning from the juvenile color pattern to the adult. It worried me for a little bit because it was out of its cave when the lights were on and was just sitting around but hes fine now.

Added some Pogo. Stellatus Broadleaf that I got from foster53 to my 75 gallon.

Also rescaped my 20 gallon with a few stems of the Pogo. and some of the extras he threw in (Rotala Ramsoir 'Sunset', Limmophila Balem, and Pogo Narrow Leaf.) on top of the crypts and misc stems I had in there.. The 20 gallon is now all real plants as I had enough to now pull out the few fake plants I had in there. Its clearing up now as I kicked up a BUNCH of stuff while I was moving everything around.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are awesome fish, just remember to feed him more as an adult, a lot of people who have owned them don't feed them enough and they starve many captive specimens don't survive to reach mature adulthood

Sold 210 water lettuce for $50 and bought a $50 discus (either a Pigeon blood or a red melon) for $25, bought a whip tail cat for $10, bought a common pleco for $6, bought a red combia for $3, bought a green combia for $3, and bought a $15 amazon sword for $3

Whip tail cat feasting on an algae bloom that I haven't been able to get rid of

Attachments

• 1450043549648.jpg
    1450043549648.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 73
I got him at Friendly Pets in greensboro, NC. I'm surprised I got him at the price I did. The place is usually pretty overpriced except for plants. I almost got a 4" red turquoise discus but he was $50 and I wanted some other stuff

Id say he's a pigeon blood... But at that size it can be tough for me to tell.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Id say he's a pigeon blood... But at that size it can be tough for me to tell.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think he's a variation of speckled pigeon blood because he's got some pigeon blood coloration but also have the black stress stripes that pure pigeon bloods don't have and he is speckled and has black fins

Technically it was 3 days ago, for the first time on my fish keeping journey, I was able to remove eggs from my tank, about 60 albino cory eggs from random places, they started hatching this morning.

Back
Top Bottom