What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't posted in awhile. But did a water change on 55g community tank and replaced root tabs.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468001776.610327.jpg
Played around with idea of floating plant holders on the pond. $1 dollar pool noodle wrapped in weed fabric, water lotus.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468001911.333957.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just recently set up a 2.5 gl planted tank at my new job Nikos reef hahahah
My ada 60p is still in the works ordered ada amazonia soil an ada bacter 100 super clear iron bottom

d3b97dcb5b3bed7e853f8e4b231cfc36.jpg

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

I just recently set up a 2.5 gl planted tank at my new job Nikos reef hahahah
My ada 60p is still in the works ordered ada amazonia soil an ada bacter 100 super clear iron bottom

d3b97dcb5b3bed7e853f8e4b231cfc36.jpg

So it begins... LOL We knew you couldn't be tankless forever!

Beautiful tank, Fresh2O! :brows:

What are your lights resting on? It looks like something added to the tank rim? :confused:

Thanks!
Yes, tank rim extensions, if you will. Here's a link describing an issue with the Finnex fixture leg mounts and glass top and how I resolved it.

30% WC on 5 tanks, topped up my betta tank.

Bought 3 new Siamese algae eaters (to the best of my knowledge). I acclimated them in with my bn pleco. They can quarantine in there before I move them into my community tank. I gave the filter sponges a clean out before I added the SAE and had the Pleco make an escape attempt. I had the filter about 7 cm over the tank before the pleco surprised me by dropping off into the tank again. It's the first time I've seen him in a while in his jungle of stems and crypts. The SAE went right to work on some of the algae as soon as I removed them from the fish bag.

I was tempted to buy a yellow betta as well as 5 black widow tetras due to them being discounted to 5 for $10. Sanity prevailed though and I left them there.

My last task for the day is to remove a blue ram from the community tank. It looks like it had a small patch of fish fungus I'll need to medicate for. I will try using the blue planet fungus cure first. I also have some aqua master fungus cure.

Otherwise everything looks good in my tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a 10 hour power outage today due to several trees coming down in a mudslide. Made some O2 generators out of coke bottles, a potato and hydrogen peroxide. Everyone seems fine tonight, so I guess it worked.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Had a 10 hour power outage today due to several trees coming down in a mudslide. Made some O2 generators out of coke bottles, a potato and hydrogen peroxide. Everyone seems fine tonight, so I guess it worked.

I have heard of people using beef heart and peroxide provide to generate oxygen. Might still be a good idea to do a bit of a water change to ensure there was no ammonia build up while the flyers were out. 10 hours without electricity would be a massive pain for you without having the aquariums to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got water conditioning and ageing for doing that tomorrow. Wasn't too bad. Just boring as heck way to spend the last day of my vacation.

Wow, sounds like the potato O2 thing worked like a charm, and everyone else getting things done too.

All I got done was filled the bowls and buckets and containers of water plants and algae, (and dare say a few mosquito larve will try to catch and to feed the Rainbows and Angels tomorrow,) that are hanging out outside under the tree. It has been so dry and hot but I hadn't got around to filling them up and I didn't want to use hose water not treated.

The water did come from the 2 12G tanks pwc of about 3G each. :) Recycling between the flower beds and those.

Hoping to get the big tank pwc tomorrow, decided not to move it for a few more days. I am trying to get a couple more pwc done to get the GH lowered some more. That way there isn't a big shock on the tank. Our water right now is very low GH and 0 KH from the tap. I will be adding some magnesium and calcium and tiny bit of baking soda to the refill water when the tank is moved as well. In the mean time plan to research various remineralizers like for RO water and see how they compare to the homemade version I usually use.

Showed off the little baby fish to a friend. The WCMM babies are almost double what they were in size, a little longer but mostly thickening up from a thin wisp to nearly looking like a tiny fish :) The baby native Mexican Swords look like they are early elementary school age now - getting bigger, one even has a hint of color!

Apparently I should have just done the water change last night. Woke up to one of my otocinclus on it's side on the bottom. :( so I did a water change today, ~60% or so. Went to test the water after an hour had gone by and saw the circle of life. So yeah... I've got guppy babies, and a lot of them.

Forgot to post the pic.

Attachments

• 1468090588266.jpg
    1468090588266.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 49
Recieved my substrate additives from ADA so excited waiting my aquasky 601 an amazonia soil

5074cbd7839df5f746024b9cff448e34.jpg

Ruu - soo precious and yeah pretty much there are always a lot of Guppy babies. Very fun to have though, nice pic.

King - so jealous! Can't wait to see new build thread / pics!

~~~
Well..... used some of my otherwise useless pond test strips to check the general parameters of my GH, KH and pH.

The tap water was ~
Gh about 25/40 (less than I thought it would be)
Alk 40 (more than I though it would be)
pH 6.5

When compared to my big tank 72G my GH was way too high at 300 - what I suspected, Alk was about 40 and pH was around 6.5

This means I will stop dosing the trace minerals and add more calcium as I do the next two 30% pwc in the next couple days.

Then, in the middle of the week I will get the tank back to "tap parameters" with a little extra calcium and a pinch of baking soda to keep the buffer up and do the 80% water out of the tank to move it all the way across the family room, ~40'

Hoping the change in water parameters will make the Rainbows really happy. This is still a learning process for me and I am so preoccupied with so many other things in life right now, following along with a specific testing schedule has fallen by the wayside, also why there has been the reduction of tanks.

This will be a good opportunity to vac the bottom, clean the FX-5 filter and maybe pull out a couple fish I don't need in that tank and get a couple more that I do.

Love the idea of getting things back in order and going forward from a good spot.

Went to my LFS to try and get my money back on the two otos that I lost after getting them last week, but due to not having the receipt the best they could do is exchange them. :( so I picked oh what I think is a male and female neon blue dwarf gourami. The ones patterning is MUCH lighter than the other, and it's dorsal fin is rounded off. I've got a tank on standby if shenanigans occur.

I'm a sucker... I told myself when I found the guppy fry I was going to let nature take it's course and if they made it, they made it. Its a heavily planted tank.

But by the time I got ready to add in the DG's the adults were hunting them fairly actively, and the gouramis joined in almost immediately after checking out the rest of the tank. So I quickly netted those I could see and dropped them in a breeder box I picked up when my cories surprised me with a wall full of eggs (that ended up being infertile). To which I threw a stem of anacharis and hornwort into so they didn't have to use the cheesy plastic bushes to feel safe.

The DG's are steadily checking the box out.

Pwc on my elephant nose tank, trimmed plant's back again.
Added 2 cattapa logs too my boraras tank, I really like the stained look.
Fish are doing really well even the tiny one's, all growing good.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Two tanks - 2 pwc's, testing and journaling..

Then watching the preggie guppies.. Was sure one was about to pop as she was going a little crazy... But needless to say, when I added some brine shrimp she proceeded to scoop up as much as possible.. So she was just hungry... Another day of waiting..

Turned on the lights for the plants and fed my cats catfood.

Still trying to decipher the best way to feed my leaf fish, but they'll come around I hope.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468345001.203335.jpg

Caught one of my leaf fish acting like a leaf in the swords yesterday. :D

Sent from a place where the water is fresh and clean and we all swim free.

Back
Top Bottom