What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
aaronjohn20 said:
Got home from the hospital today and checked in on my fish and fed them all. Didn't expect to find any dead and didn't :) I feed them twice a day. I fed them yesterday b4 we left and late 2day so they only missed out on 1 feeding each day. Daughters doin pretty good. Here she is right after surgery!

As u can see she didn't feel too good but after some tylenol with codine and 1ml of morphine and she was better. Oh man, u shoulda seen her b4 surgery when they give her valume (not sure how to spell it), she was the goofiest kid around!

Poor little angel! I pray that she heals quickly! And I'm happy none of the fish died. :)

aaronjohn20 said:
Got home from the hospital today and checked in on my fish and fed them all. Didn't expect to find any dead and didn't :) I feed them twice a day. I fed them yesterday b4 we left and late 2day so they only missed out on 1 feeding each day. Daughters doin pretty good. Here she is right after surgery!

As u can see she didn't feel too good but after some tylenol with codine and 1ml of morphine and she was better. Oh man, u shoulda seen her b4 surgery when they give her valume (not sure how to spell it), she was the goofiest kid around!

Awww. Get well.

Hooray! I finally ordered an aqueon water changer!!! No more buckets for me once it comes in! For anyone else looking at picking one up, the 25 foot one is on sale at Drs. Foster and Smith's website for around $25, which is cheaper than I've ever seen one online.

But it's water change day as it is so I'm going to get off of my iPad and go do some water changes the old fashioned way, with a siphon and bucket.

Alyxx said:
Hooray! I finally ordered an aqueon water changer!!! No more buckets for me once it comes in! For anyone else looking at picking one up, the 25 foot one is on sale at Drs. Foster and Smith's website for around $25, which is cheaper than I've ever seen one online.

But it's water change day as it is so I'm going to get off of my iPad and go do some water changes the old fashioned way, with a siphon and bucket.

Ooooooh.....just wait till your new friend arrives. Goodbye buckets, hello free time.

cbourg746 said:
Ooooooh.....just wait till your new friend arrives. Goodbye buckets, hello free time.

I can't wait. I did a 60% water change on my 56 gallon tank, so I emptied roughly 12 buckets. Filled it back up with the water hose, though. Did a big water change on my 5 gallon invert tank as well, and topped off the puffer tank.

I think siphoning with a bucket is a skill anyone with a tank needs, just like it is a good idea to know how to drive a stick shift.

*python next purchase on list*

I watched my tank on a webcam and made sure all my fish and coral are ok...

Im offended, they seem happier when im not around. Lol

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I watched my tank on a webcam and made sure all my fish and coral are ok...

Im offended, they seem happier when im not around. Lol

I'm sure you are just imagining that! Its good they are doing well!

Was checking in on the breeder/fry tank, if you all remember I had said that I put some java moss in it to try and keep fry alive. Well the wife is the one that actually went and picked it up from the lfs. Anyways, I was checking the tank out and I come across a little tiny snail or something just chillin on the heater. I give her crap for it lol, and then I told her when you buy plants you are more than likely to have snails in them or eggs from snails. Hopefully there is just this one in the. Any ideas on getting rid of them if there becomes too many?????

You better get him now while you see him! Next week there will be more, considering what type. I had to totally break down a tank due to so many snails.

Snails

Was checking in on the breeder/fry tank, if you all remember I had said that I put some java moss in it to try and keep fry alive. Well the wife is the one that actually went and picked it up from the lfs. Anyways, I was checking the tank out and I come across a little tiny snail or something just chillin on the heater. I give her crap for it lol, and then I told her when you buy plants you are more than likely to have snails in them or eggs from snails. Hopefully there is just this one in the. Any ideas on getting rid of them if there becomes too many?????

Hello aaron...

Good for your wife. Snails, in general, are an asset to any tank. I keep around 30-40, small Ramshorn snails in my planted tanks and have no visible algae anywhere. The snails remove it and any other decaying plant and fish material.

The Ramshorn variety don't damage healthy plants and if you don't over feed your fish, the snail numbers stay at a very managable number. You can get an interesting variety of colors too, from the standard brown, to a clear shell, red, grey and even a rare, white hybrid. I think they're a nice, natural addition to my tanks.

B

I actually found 2 today. This ones near the back corner. All that brown stuff is dead crap from the plant in there. I've been vacuuming it up, done it once need to do it again since its all together again. The other one is still on the heater. I tried to get a pic if it but its just too darn small.

ForumRunner_20120823_182049.jpg

aaronjohn20 said:

Take all the new plants out ASAP and rinse them off.

As I'm lookin in on the tank today, I've found 5 more snails for a total of 7 so far. Good thing this is only a 10g tank so if I do break it down to clean it, it'll be a breeze.

Pwc on main tank and Jupiter's 5 gallon tank. Gravel vac for both.

Added some java moss. Jupiter got a ball of it, all tied around a rock. He seemed quite curious about it. The rest is actually confined to a breeding trap in the big tank, while I wait for my new chunk of wood to soak. Once the new wood is ready, I can pull out the last plastic ornament from the big tank. :) Resisted the urge to buy more fish for the big tank. Mid-Sep is when I will allow myself more.

Mostly, stared at Alfred and worried. I moved him back to his bowl yesterday with aught but his heater, a thermometer, a wee bit of gravel, and awed silk plant. And salt and betta revive. Not sure there's any point in testing his tank parameters again (on his 5 gallon) - they were fine yesterday. Just can't work out what is making him sick.

Took the plants out of the 10g today to rinse any snails and eggs off and the wife WASN'T happy bout that lol. Told her someone on here recommended it and she was like "I hate your fish family"! Lol, I guess she wanted the snails. But like I told her. There's still snails in there, I just didn't want the tank overrun with them

Snail Infestation

Took the plants out of the 10g today to rinse any snails and eggs off and the wife WASN'T happy bout that lol. Told her someone on here recommended it and she was like "I hate your fish family"! Lol, I guess she wanted the snails. But like I told her. There's still snails in there, I just didn't want the tank overrun with them

Hello aaron...

Guess I was the only one who thought the snails were a good idea. Please tell your better and possibly smarter half, I'm on her side. Snails thrive on leftovers. If you limit the leftovers, you have a manageable snail population.

I keep large, planted tanks and have a few snails that remove a dead fish or a decaying plant leaf once in a while, but then, I only feed my fish a couple of times a week, so there's very little leftover food.

Anyway, good luck with that 10 G. I could never get the hang of maintaining small tanks. The water was always out of balance, so I went to 38 Gs and larger. They're much more forgiving of mistakes in tank management.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

Busy fish day.

Our tenants left a fish tank when they broke their lease. They left a lot of other stuff too, but the tank pissed me off. It had fish in it! The guy got it used and obviously didn't care for it. Beautiful tank with huge plants, but full of algae. Like hugely full. And some sort of weird scum on top that almost looked like a fungus. One giant gourami and one zebra danio were swimming in that crud.

We tried to get someone to take the tank, but had no luck. So, I managed to get the fish into an ice cream bucket (no net, so it was tricky). We dumped the tank out and put it outside the house. Posted an ad on the public exchange and someone picked the tank up before we even made it to the ferry.

The fish survived the ferry ride and hour long car drive to our place. And I had a home arranged for them via Used Victoria before I even made it home. I slowly changed out about half their water with clean water treated with Prime, while I waited for the woman to come get them. So relieved when she said that she had quarantine tanks and that she wasn't planning to dump them in right away with her other fish. I confess, I was worried about it.

I acquired a master API test kit that had never been used. All the seals were still in place. But, I need to get colour cards for it. It had the manual and the ammonia card, but none of the others. Anyone know where I can get them?

Now that the evening has settled a bit, I am going to feed my fish and stare at them for a while. Oops... After I do a pwc for my sick betta.

Back
Top Bottom