What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BBradbury said:
Hello aaron...

Guess I was the only one who thought the snails were a good idea. Please tell your better and possibly smarter half, I'm on her side. Snails thrive on leftovers. If you limit the leftovers, you have a manageable snail population.

I keep large, planted tanks and have a few snails that remove a dead fish or a decaying plant leaf once in a while, but then, I only feed my fish a couple of times a week, so there's very little leftover food.

Anyway, good luck with that 10 G. I could never get the hang of maintaining small tanks. The water was always out of balance, so I went to 38 Gs and larger. They're much more forgiving of mistakes in tank management.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

I must say that ur post kinda offended me alil bit by saying "possibly smarter half". Kinda made it sound like I was being called stupid. I'm sure that's not what you meant though. Atleast I hope not! Anyways the 10g is just for trying to keep fry pretty much. Its not always going to be stocked. I don't really care for small tanks either for the same reasons. Our main tank is a 46g bow front community.

I fantasized about going saltwater with the 150 and giving the goldfish back to my pond friend. Got cold feet when researching x_x @_@

I fantasized about going saltwater with the 150 and giving the goldfish back to my pond friend. Got cold feet when researching x_x @_@

lol

its not that hard
it just takes patients , lots of research helps a lot
basically the first 6 months are the hardest but it gets better once you get everything established (y)
just take it slow you will have better results in long run
its more the will power of not adding to much at one time . better things happen when you add a little each month rather than all at once , it helps your tank get stronger and healthier ,
I had a salt tank 10+ years ago it crashed in the first 6 months because I got carried away , not giving the tank a chance to catch up on the bio load ,
so just remember take it slow , it takes any where from 2 to 8 weeks depending on how you cycle the tank before you can safely add your first fish , after your cycle just add 1 or 2 things at a time since it takes time for the load to catch up ,
best advice I can give Start with a small clean up crew
and dont buy the biggest most expensive fish you can find to start with , and always research what fish will do good in your system weather its a fowlr or a reef tank
start cheap so if anything don't make it your not bankrupt you can always trade up in time when the tanks more stable for nicer fish(y)

hope you find the tank of your dreams

I know I sure did

clearancepuppy said:

Did your bank account have a say in this?lol

Mea Culpa

I must say that ur post kinda offended me alil bit by saying "possibly smarter half". Kinda made it sound like I was being called stupid. I'm sure that's not what you meant though. Atleast I hope not! Anyways the 10g is just for trying to keep fry pretty much. Its not always going to be stocked. I don't really care for small tanks either for the same reasons. Our main tank is a 46g bow front community.

Apologies aaron if you were offended by my post! Just a little humor intended. Obviously, very little. Apparently, I need to stick to trying to offer some helpful advice on the subject of aquariums and not try to be a comedian.

Your understanding would be appreciated.

B

B, I agree with you on the snails and feeding.

I currently have a 55g with pfs and a bucket of salt waiting to be set up but I too keep chickening out.

BBradbury said:
Apologies aaron if you were offended by my post! Just a little humor intended. Obviously, very little. Apparently, I need to stick to trying to offer some helpful advice on the subject of aquariums and not try to be a comedian.

Your understanding would be appreciated.

B

No harm done. We currently have prob around 10 snails in the tank. I may just let them grow and then move them to the community tank. I would move them to the oscars tank as his gets dirtyer but I'm afraid he would have snacks then

54seaweed said:
lol

its not that hard
it just takes patients , lots of research helps a lot
basically the first 6 months are the hardest but it gets better once you get everything established (y)
just take it slow you will have better results in long run
its more the will power of not adding to much at one time . better things happen when you add a little each month rather than all at once , it helps your tank get stronger and healthier ,
I had a salt tank 10+ years ago it crashed in the first 6 months because I got carried away , not giving the tank a chance to catch up on the bio load ,
so just remember take it slow , it takes any where from 2 to 8 weeks depending on how you cycle the tank before you can safely add your first fish , after your cycle just add 1 or 2 things at a time since it takes time for the load to catch up ,
best advice I can give Start with a small clean up crew
and dont buy the biggest most expensive fish you can find to start with , and always research what fish will do good in your system weather its a fowlr or a reef tank
start cheap so if anything don't make it your not bankrupt you can always trade up in time when the tanks more stable for nicer fish(y)

hope you find the tank of your dreams

I know I sure did

The 150 got emptied today and fish are in a barrel with the Marineland 530 running in it. I am going to Lowes later to scope out pond supplies. Then the 150 will be thoroughly cleaned and set up inside. With no fish. I am liking the idea of tinier fish ATM but right now just going to take my time with this.

This Sunday was different than any other Sunday. I usually do nothing, even feed, on this day. But last week was a barn burner at work. So today I did an extra large pwc on the 29 and pulled 90-95% of my hornwort out as it was clamming the entire tank for itself. Normal 15% pwc on the 10 g along with a gravel vac. Interesting tid bit, after I cleaned everything up, I noticed all of my ghost shrimp in the 29 were out and real active. I never see more than 1-2 and I have around 15!

finally broke down the flatback hex today (gotta seal a leak). I made a sweet deal on another 44 gallon corner tank for only $30. the lady advertised it as a 35 gallon, and got a ton of calls, the person before me didnt call back so it's sitting in my corner now :) Saved a good portion of the water so I ended up doing a good PWC. once it settles I will move over the angels.

now its time to do some general regular maintenance on the other tanks

Got a complete above ground pond kit for $150 at Lowe's (orig $400). First, I was looking at the boxed ones on sale at end of season (there is something so bittersweet about nurseries at this time of year), which were marked $317 from $400. They have a series of three porthole windows. It includes the fountain (faux granite rectangle) and underwater filter. I left that area, because I am not in the mood to dig out a pond and am not going to spend $317 on this project. So I take a walk around the place looking at plants and such, when I find an area with what looks like pond fountains formerly on display. This black framework woven panel complete pond kit was in pieces with no sticker. I asked about it and the guy working there called his manager. Said he could sell it for $150.

It is already set up and fish are now transferred into their new apartment. They love the porthole windows. :D

http://penningtonaquagarden.com/index.php?id=9 (89 gallons)

Last edited:
Terraphyte / Biotope Tanks

Not much work to be done on my 5 large tanks anymore. The large, weekly water changes took so much time and effort on the weekends. Well, no more.

The Aglaonema, Philodendron and Pothos have cleaned the water more efficiently then I ever did when I was changing out half the tank volume every week. Kind of wish I'd known about these plants sooner. But, I know about them now and I did get some exercise going up and down the stairs for 6 or so years.

B

Started a new job n sold my 55gal that never evenbgot fish in it .. keep tending to my small community 10g n really wantin a bigger tank so with this paycheck im gonna redo my 10gal n look at 75-100gal tanks .. im gettin my water n everything done and prayin tropical storm isaac is nice enough to let us keep our lights..but i have plenty of water jugs n gas for the generator ..oh n considerin buyin a betta for my office just dont think ill have enough room n dont really want a small tank would like atleast 5gals for the lil guy..

I looked at my fish and think I for ripped off on my swordtail. He's supposed to be red. He's just orange. I still like him though. I bought the water for a pwc on my 55 community and 5 gal cycling pico reef. I may do it later. But it's been a busy day.

prayin tropical storm isaac is nice enough to let us keep our lights..but i have plenty of water jugs n gas for the generator

Remember to stay safe ..Be prepared for anything you know how those storms are
I don't miss those storms one bit
after bertha and fran I had enough bertha fed my home to the ocean than the house I rented after losing my house lost its roof to fran
2 homes in 2 weeks I had enough

hope you and your family stay safe and dry

Just worried a little, seeing as tropical storm Issac is likely to knock my power out tomorrow. Hopefully the power will stay on through the storm, or get restored quickly. If not, well, I guess I'll be changing some water a few cups at a time from my Brita pitcher and keeping things aerated.

54seaweed said:
I don't miss those storms one bit
after bertha and fran I had enough bertha fed my home to the ocean than the house I rented after losing my house lost its roof to fran
2 homes in 2 weeks I had enough

hope you and your family stay safe and dry

Thanks...hate to here u lost all that.. we have been lucky n the only ones we were really affected by was katrina n rita. But we also didnt have fish then .. im not concerned about my betta he will b fine its the 3 otos i worry about most so im gonna try n find a fan today n keep my water for backup to make changes if needed..

Checked the community tank and spotted new endlers fry! Whoot! I just love these guys, they are SO incredibly small.

Added some beautiful najas grass to my RCS tank and the community tank. Makes a huge difference!

Back
Top Bottom