What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smiling beardie FTW

Handsome smile. Very toothy.

A word on khuli's... When I added khuli's to my tank years ago I bought 5 stripped ones and 1 die soon after. I bought 5 black ones about a year later and 3 died soon after. One of my stripped khuli's committed suicide and jumped out of the tank. The 5 in total that survived have been alive for years at this point.

I don't know if this is usual or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

definitely a happy lil guy (y)
attachment.php

I was feeding tonight discovered my purple & yellow striped dotty back is pregnant , (y) and I thought my purple ones were female now the waiting:popcorn:

LoL he's definitely a character.

Threw a handful of bloodworms in the community tank last night. Today the cories are acting like they want to spawn. I'll repeat it tonight them do a heafty water change with RO water and see what happens.

The kuhlis have decided daylight may not be so bad as they've been out all day for the last two days. Swimming up and down in the corners of the tank. They've created little divots in all the corners from brushing the sand when they turn at the bottom.

LoL he's definitely a character.

Threw a handful of bloodworms in the community tank last night. Today the cories are acting like they want to spawn. I'll repeat it tonight them do a heafty water change with RO water and see what happens.

The kuhlis have decided daylight may not be so bad as they've been out all day for the last two days. Swimming up and down in the corners of the tank. They've created little divots in all the corners from brushing the sand when they turn at the bottom.
I think if i remember correctly try making the water u put back in a little cooler than the temp of the tank. Will replicate. Like it jus rained causeing them to start the breeding. Cory cats were on of my favorite fish. Had schoolls of like 6 different species of corys in my 125 was awesome

Sounds like it was awesome. I just picked up a 40 breeder and I'm trying very very hard to not turn it into a pygmy cory/boraras/planted tank.

That's what I've read as well with the temp drop.

My wife wants another beardie. :)

What are your water parms? My khuli's only do that when they are upset or uncomfortable. PH or Nitrates too high....new fish bugging them...?

Nah no one is bugging them. Its the kuhlies, peppered cories, a pair of dwarf gourami (m/f) pair and a few guppies. I haven't tested the tank in a week but last time I did everything was right where it should be. I'll test it in the AM.

PH is a little low? My khuli's are great indicator fish. I have learned to listen.

When I shifted to using RO/DI water and my PH dropped to 6.2, they were not happy. I added some crushed coral to my canister and also minerals to the water during PWC.

They calmed down.

Then they started the manic swimming and I tested my water and the nitrates had jumped...dead plant. Removed it and did PWC.

They calmed down.

The khuli's know all. Listen to the khuli's.

Lol. Wise little fish is what you're saying? I had this tank on pretty much RO water, I'm slowly adding well Water to the weekly water changes which is bringing the PH up, along with the KH. Gotta love FL water.

Something rare!

I found a Orange Eye Tangerine Tiger shrimp!!! Fairly rare.
Here is a regular black eye kind with medium color okay but not great color.
60074-albums14480-picture69704.jpg

Poor pic but you can for sure see the glowing eyes.
60074-albums14480-picture70576.jpg

I had been disappointed that the shrimp offspring had been of a less intense Tangerine color (more like orange) since I lost half of them in a tank water quality issue from a very fast ammonia producing new food I was trying out.

This one is very active (pretty much an adult size) and I always see it out cleaning the algae on the glass, and was REALLY unhappy with its coloration being so pale.

I had decided to cull the poorer color specimens in the near future.

But what an interesting thing to find. So no culling for a while!

Tonight read a little bit about how they are less colored and have the orange eyes. And kind of rare as they need the right male and female with the specific genes to make that happen. But then the mom and dad can go on making tons of them.

Too bad I don't know which one was the mom and the dad combo, lol.

For sure moving the WCMM this weekend so they don't eat the babies!!! And The Dwarf Cories should probably move to the other nano fish tank too!

Lol. Wise little fish is what you're saying? I had this tank on pretty much RO water, I'm slowly adding well Water to the weekly water changes which is bringing the PH up, along with the KH. Gotta love FL water.

They do the whole manic swimming routine if there are any sudden changes. At least mine do. So I watch how they are behaving.

Those eyeballies are freaky and cool.

Yeah, they are, and they kinda glow like the pic. I had OEBT once upon a time and they were one of my favorites for sure. This is kinda cool. I think I saw a smaller one too, they are very small and it takes me a bit to focus, but I think that is what I saw. There's a giant glob of Subwassertang in the tank and they love going in and out of it picking tiny bits of food. Lots of hiding spots, its overgrown.

Did spy an additional WCMM in the TT tank and scooped him up after a few swipes, boy are they fast and sneaky.

Moved 2 of the baby Mexican Swords over to the 72G - was surprised they were bigger than the Endlers.

Tried and tried to get the other 2 but they kept hiding under an arched spiky DW and just couldn't get them.

Did happen to be able to capture and move the 4 Misc. Boraras, I had left. There is one odd ball and I am trying to figure out if it is a very small WCMM or a Boraras - thinking WCMM but small, it is staying very pale probably because it is all alone and his buddies are in the other tank.

It was the 12G Edge and I tore up the plants every which way. The tank has some string algae, so I will likely need to re do it any how so wasn't too worried about that. But made one heck of a mess of it. Fish love the mess to swim around and hide in.

WCMM see to be fine with the other fish so far.

Very short on time to observe shrimp and move fish, but didn't want the WCMM to eat (any more of) the shrimp babies, so kinda urgent!

Discovered baby gold fish this morning in my diy floating plant pot for my iris.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474195635.501653.jpg. A little small to show up in the photo but was a nice surprise.

Back
Top Bottom