What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I used a 16g 4 piece of Hoplosternum thoracatum.
These are as long as fingers.
There are platies and guppies.
In another, I used new bees.
In it are already many blue shrimp.

Water changes on the 55 and fowlr nano.

Attached a grow light over my basil plant hob. More of an experiment than anything else.

Got enough runner clippings off my narrow leaf swords so planted the plants themselves today.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quick 25% pwc's on 72G, and the 2 12's.

Saw the big upside down cat come out to eat but by the time I grabbed a big enough net, it shimmied back into the DW. So I could move it into the 46G.

The Fall CAS Auction is coming up here in Denver on the 29th and am sooooo looking forward to that.

Planning on looking to get a Pygmy Sun Fish, there are usually a few up for sale, hoping to grab a male if I can. Swear I don't need very much else........ :brows: But somehow I always spend soooo much money there.

Spent 2 hours picking up a freebie 55. Lady didn't tell me it needed to be broke down and cleaned out before moving it. I get there and it's an almost empty tank that's been sitting stagnant for almost 8 months. You want to talk about NASTY.... It's still sitting in the bed of my truck covered by a topper. I could smell it 200' down wind earlier tonight.

Freebie tank, stand, hood, filters, python plus a bunch of other stuff. Can't complain too much. LOL just not looking forward to the cleanup tomorrow. I've had a migraine all day today.

Woke up this morning to a new batch of peppered cory eggs on the tank. That's twice this week they've left me gifts. First batch should hatch sometime tomorrow. Only have one that's turned white. Group previous to this bunch were all eaten.

Spent 2 hours picking up a freebie 55. Lady didn't tell me it needed to be broke down and cleaned out before moving it. I get there and it's an almost empty tank that's been sitting stagnant for almost 8 months. You want to talk about NASTY.... It's still sitting in the bed of my truck covered by a topper. I could smell it 200' down wind earlier tonight.

Freebie tank, stand, hood, filters, python plus a bunch of other stuff. Can't complain too much. LOL just not looking forward to the cleanup tomorrow. I've had a migraine all day today.

Woke up this morning to a new batch of peppered cory eggs on the tank. That's twice this week they've left me gifts. First batch should hatch sometime tomorrow. Only have one that's turned white. Group previous to this bunch were all eaten.

I'd just leave the hose run in it for awhile in the middle of the grass til most of the stench is washed out, lol. Are there any surprise inhabitants? Daughter had a Cory live in her abandoned tank for a couple months, no food, no air/water circulation/bubbler, no heater?!?

Congrats on new eggs, any way to put a upside down or side ways breeder net around the eggs to see if they hatch (not get eaten)?

Not done much today, I have had a day without cleaning so just enjoyed watching them!
Fed live bloodworm to Gonzo and my betta. The boraras got live baby brine shrimp which they go crazy for. 1476639749676.jpg1476639763806.jpg

That's a handsome betta, Shelly. Love his color combination.

For the first time in my life, I bagged my own fish today! :eek:

My 20-long was being overrun with platys (little sex maniacs :brows: ), so I took the five biggest to my LFS this afternoon for re-homing. bagging and tying off the bag was easier than I expected, but catching them in a heavily planted tank took a while. The last especially tried desperately to avoid the net -- I was afraid he'd hurt himself. But, now they're safely at the store, awaiting new owners.

Of course, this is only a part of the platy population explosion I've experienced. There are four more fry (and four adults) in the 20, plus seven juveniles in a 10g I've set up as a grow-out tank. (I need to do a write up of that) Cute little guys, always begging for food. As soon as they reach about an inch, off to the store they go, too. :fish1:

Not done much today, I have had a day without cleaning so just enjoyed watching them!
Fed live bloodworm to Gonzo and my betta. The boraras got live baby brine shrimp which they go crazy for. View attachment 290060View attachment 290061

Nice, a more relaxing day, a good thing once in awhile. Beautiful Betta, looks happy - and like he's showing off for the pic!

~~~~~~~~~

Maybe I will get to moving the ~ 4 fish over to the 46G out of the 72G. Never got an additional DW like I was wanting so will need to take one out of the 72G.

I have a smallish couple out in the buckets, but I am worried about using anything out of the outdoor buckets in case the trouble I had before came out of the buckets when I brought things inside???!!!???

Angels seemed to settle down now, & not too sure I want to move him just yet.

...Never got an additional DW like I was wanting so will need to take one out of the 72G.

I have a smallish couple out in the buckets, but I am worried about using anything out of the outdoor buckets in case the trouble I had before came out of the buckets when I brought things inside???!!!???

Would boiling and soaking the DW help? If there is a risk (with the buckets and anything in them), maybe you should hold off adding them.

Water change after leaving the tank alone for a week. Fish were fed 3x during the week but no ferts given. BBA on the rise on the DW so I will be spot treating with glut for a few days. All in all, tank in cruise control:
TkDoa04h.jpg

I'd just leave the hose run in it for awhile in the middle of the grass til most of the stench is washed out, lol. Are there any surprise inhabitants? Daughter had a Cory live in her abandoned tank for a couple months, no food, no air/water circulation/bubbler, no heater?!?

Congrats on new eggs, any way to put a upside down or side ways breeder net around the eggs to see if they hatch (not get eaten)?

Yep. That's basically what I did. Overflowed it for about an hour then went out and took a plastic pot scrubbie to it. Looks good now. I still see a few places I missed. I'll hit them in the morning. I'm leaving it full over night in the yard to check it for leaks. Though I'm sure it won't.

As for the eggs I scraped them off the glass and dropped them in a breeder net with an air stone. No babies yet, but fingers crossed for when I wake up in the morning.

Attachments

• 1476676577478.jpg
    1476676577478.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 45
Would boiling and soaking the DW help? If there is a risk (with the buckets and anything in them), maybe you should hold off adding them.

The ones in the outside buckets have plants and moss growing on /over them so I am sad to consider scraping it. :( I might treat the buckets for parasites, like the Anchor worm issue I had - and something else unknown.

The one inside the 72G would be fine/clear of oddities/pests, so no risk, just messing up the aesthetics.

A few months ago I tried to go the 'diy' co2 route, as fun and as interesting as it was, it all ended in a series of spectacular explosions, so since then the Monte Carlo that I was trying to grow has been creeping along at snails pace, 2 days ago I'd had enough, I decided to rip it all out and just to go back to the ever reliable anubias but this thing in the back of my mind was telling me that I remember reading Monte Carlo needs pruning to promote growth, having never bothered to prune it, I figured it would b a waste to not at least try it, so I did and it started pearling which I thought was pretty cool, it also rekindled my interest in trying to grow ground coverage, so yesterday I went and bought a small pressurised co2 setup and today I've been playing with diffuser positions and flow rates and current direction...
( sorry, that ended up a lot longer than I thought it was gunna be )

Late last night I was able to get the Angel and Upsidedown Cat caught and moved over to the 46G. The USD Cat was not too happy because the DW was missing.

I moved one would piece at an angle over the side of another to make a spot for her, she hung out but still wasn't happy because it is a bright tank and bare bottom right now so more reflection from there as well.

Exchanged the second of the freeze dried Hikari Tubifex bought by mistake for the FD Brine Shrimp which was what I thought I grabbed. And found a really interesting Mopani DW and got it for $10. Its over a 12" by ~8" kinda flat so I will need to find a place for it to lay across a rock maybe. I liked it - with some swirls and a hole. It will be nice with height. Maybe for a shrimp tank later. For now a cave.

Did a 15G pwc as well for the 72G.

The 2 two BIG tanks I was looking at are sold and not to me.

Still looking. Told the spouse that there would be a giant tank appearing in the LR if I happen to find one at the right price. As expected a courtesy amount of grumbling about how a 6' tank will fit??? 15' wall - no problem. Keeping all the other ones???...then some thoughts I might need a fish room of my own, lol!

Not that I need so much additional things to do right now or a big room with lots of extra tanks (right now... :) ) Busy week ahead (no fish room involved).

Back
Top Bottom