What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PWC on 3 tanks. Biorb, 10g and 5g. All of the plants I tied last week are coming undone. Cotton thread is falling apart fast. I know what I'm doing again....
Move some plants around too.
IMG_1482122188.560343.jpg
IMG_1482122260.453871.jpg
IMG_1482122275.556354.jpg

Last edited:
Went to Petsmart yesterday and bought a second heater for my 10g platy "grow out" tank. My apartment gets cold overnight and the existing heater (Fluval E series) was having trouble holding the temp where I wanted it (77). So I got a 50W Eheim Jager, put it in, and... It obviously needs some calibration. I set it to 77, had to pull the plug when the temp reached nearly 80. :eek:

I'll have to work with it tonight. Heaters can be such a pain in the tuchus. :nono:

Went to Petsmart yesterday and bought a second heater for my 10g platy "grow out" tank. My apartment gets cold overnight and the existing heater (Fluval E series) was having trouble holding the temp where I wanted it (77). So I got a 50W Eheim Jager, put it in, and... It obviously needs some calibration. I set it to 77, had to pull the plug when the temp reached nearly 80. :eek:

I'll have to work with it tonight. Heaters can be such a pain in the tuchus. :nono:

True, True!!

`````````

Well tried to shopping for a bday present but ended up asking for maybe 10 things and the store didn't have any thing I wanted!!! Just picked up my SW and RO/DI water 10G & 5G.

The biggest issue was that they didn't have any Tisbee Pods which are ideal for a warm water SW tank. They will reproduce new pods easily. So I guess I need to go to my old standby store (call first). Winter they aren't always available. Need more to help feed my little fish. Will also put them in the SW VASE and try and grow extras for continued feeding.

Added water last night to the SW nano getting ready for a pwc tomorrow.

Trying to decide on fish tanks and stocking plan withh deletions and new additions (still). Feel like I am getting closer.

Noticed sooo many new juvenile Tangerine Tiger Shrimp. Seems like there at least double where we were before.

The other thing I wanted at the lfs was some Fluval Shrimp Strattum. They don't carry that product.

The shrimp love the jungle.

Have found that the wall I planned to move the 72G to, shares an electrical outlet with the kitchenette /office area and has a tendency to trip the breaker in the electrical box. We are going to check the wiring size to see it it can get exchanged to a larger breaker to stop that issue. Or run a new power line, but that would be further down the road.

Gave the SW fish the gift of Tigger Pods as the Tisbee weren't available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well maybe I am just talking ot myself, lol - maybe it's the Christmas / holidays?!?

Any how. Moved my 11.4G Mr Aqua tank over next to the 12G Edge since the 72G isn't moving over to that spot right away. Found the drawer of the cabinet didnt' close and then it was pointed out to me that the top was bowing down/sagging and that means the strength of th cabinet is compromised.

Will need a replacement ASAP! Saggy cabinet is a 2 drawer lateral file cabinet. The other is a vintage small square butcher block (which is very much stronger and thick actual wood not strange particle board/wood substitute.)

Have been looking for some useful, strong base stand/cabinets (2 matching) to put them on but haven't found quite what I wanted yet.

Cleaned out some hair algae from the 12G moved some plants around, hid the heater and bubbler - again, seems to keep wiggling up. Looks pretty good.

Realized last night that my batteries were dead in 2 of my tank lights remotes and subbed out one from the good remote and found the tank light actualy works so removed the 48" extra light off of the 36" tank (unsightly anyhow) back to the 72G which is a 4' tank.

Will be picking up 2 new batteries and try hooking up light number 3. Those 2 were stashed in the fish junk closet. Now the 46G tank looks okay - not like a "dark swamp" as it was called by a family member. (Kinda true but unkind to mention.)

Thought company would be looking at the tanks and wiped off all the tops and lights and glass. No one looked at them ;/!

Cleaned up all the stray tank mess that tends to accumulate. It looks nice, even if no one else saw it.

Seriously considering ordering a new replacement tank for the 2nd long ago broken 12G Edge. Pondering if Fluval is ever going to come out with the Edge 3. Maybe I will again email them and see if there is an ETA planned.

Last edited:
Well maybe I am just talking ot myself, lol - maybe it's the Christmas / holidays?!?

It's the holidays. Folks traveling, away from their tanks wondering "How are the tanks doing?" Or "Did I remember to _________ before leaving?"
I like seeing what has changed after being away.
Good luck on the cabinet. I'm thinking about building a stand that can accommodate a 40b for my 20 long. Caveat: Must match the existing office furniture. Doable, will just take some planning.

opps

I bought my girl friend a couple of small coy fish I know nothing about fish and I think I made a mistake. I thought I was leaving for three days and just dumped in enough for three days. well know my little tank is a sort of fish food tea. will my filter clean up the murk or do I need to clean it out? also should I be worried about there health at all?

I bought my girl friend a couple of small coy fish I know nothing about fish and I think I made a mistake. I thought I was leaving for three days and just dumped in enough for three days. well know my little tank is a sort of fish food tea. will my filter clean up the murk or do I need to clean it out? also should I be worried about there health at all?
Lots of questions! Please start a thread in the getting started section

······
New favorite hobby: going to Petco, pulling out dying plants (tube and bag, not tank), taking them up to the counter, and asking to get a discount. I got an alternathera reineckii and green ozelot for half price. Took off the dead bits, and they look pretty good!

Have found that the wall I planned to move the 72G to, shares an electrical outlet with the kitchenette /office area and has a tendency to trip the breaker in the electrical box. We are going to check the wiring size to see it it can get exchanged to a larger breaker to stop that issue. Or run a new power line, but that would be further down the road.

how old is your home and what size breaker is in the box I had that same issue
I upped the breaker in the box from 10amp to a 15amp I added a extra 5amps
seemed to do the trick , than I was told I could have upped it to a 20 amp with no issues

Today I started a nano reef tank. Just live rock and water right now. Corals and inverts down the road once we make sure cycling is all good. I think my live rock came with a snail on it tho! [emoji16]Image1482800979.505356.jpg

Got new lights and filter from Santa and started revamping the tank today. I took tomorrow off too so I can keep playing.

Swapped the Finnex 24/7 (which was running at 20%) that was on the shrimp tank with the Finnex FugeRay on the planted tank. The shrimp tank is bright now. Hopefully algae won't be too bad in the shrimp tank..

Same tank, had 2 male threadfin rainbows in it for a few months, decided to add 2 females, had to help the lady at the pet store sex and catch them and for my assistance, she threw in an extra 1 for free, $16 fish for $0, tyvm.. The difference between male to male display and male to female display is pretty cool.

Still same tank, 2 Borneo suckers and a few plants

At the LFS saw a guy buy a $200 fish as well as the tank, stand, and filter.... The guy working there offered some filter media and told the guy he could pick up the fish once his tank is up and running. Purchaser was not thrilled about leaving without this fish.

Dropped off some guppy fry for store credit. Got some ramshorn snails. He said bring him babies to feed the puffers. Then the rams said, "thanks for the snacks!"

Today I started a nano reef tank. Just live rock and water right now. Corals and inverts down the road once we make sure cycling is all good. I think my live rock came with a snail on it tho! [emoji16]View attachment 292323

I LOVE SW nano tanks! How nano is it? A snail, what kind??? It's free, usually you have to pay for them!

Swapped the Finnex 24/7 (which was running at 20%) that was on the shrimp tank with the Finnex FugeRay on the planted tank. The shrimp tank is bright now. Hopefully algae won't be too bad in the shrimp tank..

How about a siesta for the tank, jic?

At the LFS saw a guy buy a $200 fish as well as the tank, stand, and filter.... The guy working there offered some filter media and told the guy he could pick up the fish once his tank is up and running. Purchaser was not thrilled about leaving without this fish.

Dropped off some guppy fry for store credit. Got some ramshorn snails. He said bring him babies to feed the puffers. Then the rams said, "thanks for the snacks!"

Dang, Ram snacks!? No baby RH I guess.

Nice that the guy at the lfs couldn't take his fish.....WHAT kind of fish was $200??? And the tank and set up from a lfs. Wow, Santa was extra nice to that guy!
~~~~~~~~~

So I am fed up with the waiting game from Fluval, basically promising a new kind of tank, YEARS ago and not released to the public for sale yet.
You can read here about the empty quest for a really awesome looking tank, if you wish
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/new-19g-72l-fluval-edge-3-finally-coming-soon-342150.html

So after unsuccessfully looking for another [used] 12G Fluval Edge to make matching 12G Edge tanks to flank the 72G along the imagined to be /planned majestic fish wall (LOL), I might need to rethink the what tank and how to set it up. I don't want to spent the $$ for a new edge, almost do want to but then reconsidering that too. Hahaha, all the plans are a big fat mess now. :facepalm: Actually mad and sad.

There is a stack of tanks worth in my supply closet but not the one I need to make it cool and awesome this next week. If I were a 2 year old, I would be on the floor kicking, screaming and crying - having a tantrum right now. :/

Since I'm not 2, I am complaining to y'all instead! :-x

I LOVE SW nano tanks! How nano is it? A snail, what kind??? It's free, usually you have to pay for them!

It's teeny weeny-- 3 gallons. Corals and a few inverts is the plan. The freeloading snail is a turbo who will need to be taken back because I think he is too big and clumsy for the nano. I will trade him in for a 20% off coupon.

PM me if you have any advice that way we don't clog this thread

While I was sitting down to have some coffee, I hear a wierd & loud squanking noise out of the 12G Edge filter. Running over to see what was going on, it was not running water. So it was squanking for help, lol! I grap a cup and get some water in there and it starts the pumping again. Whew!

Then I realize that the Shrimp tank the Mr. Aqua, isn't running either! So get the cup and put the water in and it starts up again.

I think we had a brown out and they didn't restart. Need 2 new pump motors asap I guess.

I see some MTS so I pick them out and then it happens...I see the illusive and very large WCMM up against the cloud of Subwassertang. I go for the net only for the sneaky guy to disappear in to the plants. I am determined! Grab out a half of a half gallon pitcher of Subwassertang move over a giant mass of Java Fern on a DW and I see it!!! First scoop missed but then I see it again and BAM! Shot over to the other tank.

Strange thing is it is about 1/3 larger than the other WCMM. Like perhaps it has enjoyed the good life of eating its fill of Tangerine Tiger shrimp fry and possibly other little baby Chili fish....??????? Hmmm.

So now after so long of me being worried for it all alone with no WCMM to school with, I am afraid it will be much more sad living with out the all you can eat shrimp dinners it has become so accustomed to! C'est la vie little fishie!

Anyway, I saw so many TT shrip in the tank. Relieved they are finally breeding well.

Decided to do the pwc in the 12G Edge and the Mr. Aqua 11.4G since I was already making a mess. Cleaned the sponge prefilter on the TT tank and put back the Subwassertang. Then got the insiration from the massively covered Java Fern Covered DW in the TT tank, to set up my used but never used by me before Spec V. (My DD got for me from Goodwill for about $5. Good to have them trained to find good deals for you ;) )

Then realized I needed clean the water ring at the top of the tank and find a longer table top to set it on AND to go to work. Such an inconvenience, work. I did locate a moderate amount of my Garnet sand to put in there though.

I think I will use it for extra plants for now.

It is more attractive than a 5G bucket which I was told looked like a nasty swamp bucket sitting next to the back door. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "love is blind", are cliches that probably fit that circumstance, lol. So this way it will be pretty (and maybe ready for a new inhabitant) :brows:

Found a tiny Micro Anubias Nana Petite (leaves are ~3 mm) I was wondering what had become of it, but it was growing in the Subwassertang cloud, over taken and hidden. Kinda excited about setting up the new Spec plant tank.

Bought and added in 2 new batteries for the 2 remote controllers for the Current USA Planted Plus lights and moved the used one to the strip remote I am not using at the moment.

Wow, so bright now! The 36" 46G bowfront hasn't had the right light on it in since forever - looks great and the 72G will now have light in the back of the tank with the stock 4' light and the 48" Current one :) To think I thought it was broken and it just needed a battery - great use of $5.00 for 2 batteries!!!

Got me smiling again. Finally, for once, a low cost, easy solution to a problem! Wish there were more easy fixes.

Happy New Year All! Best Wishes for an excellent 2017!

Things are slowly coming together.

Last edited:
Got a little table moved to set up the Spec V. The tank was really pretty clean, but it had a mineral ring around the top, a tiny amount of dirty particles in the filter compartment. I used a magic eraser and rnsed it out. Looks brand new really, I hadn't really looked at it much but stuffed it into the closet when I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. It still has the price tag 9.99 but it was 40 or 50% off so about $5 or 6. Wow, what a great deal, and a blessing she thought of me. The light was inside in a bag and it was with some API water conditioner and Accu-clear good until 2020, so it must not be too old. Plus some nice filter media in the box.

Light works and now the tank is sitting on the table with the Garnet sand, just the right amount, ready for a new scape for the bucket of swamp plants, lol.

Also wanting to capture the 2 Xiphophorus helleri Rio Otapa Swords from the 12G and add them into the 72G so they can be friends with the other 2 of the same kind. They are getting close to maturity. Do see one getting even more colorful, and hoping to see a sword grow out on the tail - fingers crossed I get at least one male out of the 4.

Back
Top Bottom