What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My single T5 light burnt out so instead of replacing bulb I bought a Beamswork LED and a cheap stand to raise and lower it as algae permits. Wow, I can visibly tell the light difference; now I actually have a light I'll have to put on a timer! ?

My single T5 light burnt out so instead of replacing bulb I bought a Beamswork LED and a cheap stand to raise and lower it as algae permits. Wow, I can visibly tell the light difference; now I actually have a light I'll have to put on a timer! ��

Congratulations! That is nice, very exciting actually. Go slowly raising the light to the plants, gradually increasing the light exposure time, as you say this one is brighter, and maybe a couple hour break period in between photo periods during the day could help to not get algae issues.

~~~

Just did a continuous drain, flush of the canister filter and add back 15 full 5G buckets of water back in, 75G of fresh water into the 72G bowfront, though it isn't actually a 100% pwc doing it that way.

Changed water in the SW nano, added FW from evap in the SW cycling tank and 2 live rock stones from the smaller Macroaglae vase, but as I was doing the pwc on it, I realized teh Caulerpa was melting and causing a disasterous mess, I need help figuring out what to do about from the SW side experts.

I am really mad and sad about it because I had such an active pod population in there and I am afraid I just started it on its way to death!

:nono:

Mockups FTW!

······

I spent about two hours this morning trimming and repositioning plants. I got a ball of just....moss....a couple of months ago. One of the types of moss is doing really well, but pieces of it were taking hold where I didn't want moss. It's like spiky... It looks like tiny, green barbed wire.

Check this, in the vases after you scroll down a ways!!! Now you will have somethng fun to do with the moss.

Aquatic Moss. How to grow Aquatic Moss. Info on Java Moss, Christmas Moss, Taiwan Moss, Peacock Moss, Stringy Moss

Sunday maintenance funday

Added a stem and a piece of rough looking helferi to sons tank. Clado all gone.. 50pwc
20170319_092514.jpg

10g crusing along. Found a few new ramshorn. Population was declining as the mts were increasing. Nice blue one. Finally after months of nothing...j.fern got some growth and babies. I think it hates liquid rock or needs time to adjust.60pwc 20170319_110715.jpg

Sunday maintenance funday

Added a stem and a piece of rough looking helferi to sons tank. Clado all gone.. 50pwc
View attachment 296471

10g crusing along. Found a few new ramshorn. Population was declining as the mts were increasing. Nice blue one. Finally after months of nothing...j.fern got some growth and babies. I think it hates liquid rock or needs time to adjust.60pwc View attachment 296472
Very nice, very nice. The 10gl is on cruise control an looking nice

Bored?! (Says the lady with 5 tanks)

Small SW Nano to get the excitement back into your life and lose sleep over.

Then you will appreciate the "bored".

Ya im been leaning that way for 2 weeks. Been brushing up some been a decade since I had sw. Ya I think here soon youll see some rock zoas and ricordea

20% water change picked a shed load of algae off my rocks and repositioned a few of my corals, happy with the outcome[emoji106]IMG_3543.jpg

Post in sw section. Many here that can help. I cant tell ya. Kinda looks like a hammer.

Post in sw section. Many here that can help. I cant tell ya. Kinda looks like a hammer.

If it doesn't seem like a Hammer, the members in SW will probably know in an instant.

~~~

:banghead:

Sometimes I wonder what was I thinking... (leaving that a bit open ended because it could apply to so many things.)

One thing is that my 72G tested at

maybe .10 ammonia,
0 NitrIte
30-35 Nitrate
pH 6.7
KH 1ish
GH 38 yes, I put that in there correctly. Also got 40 dGH My test for GH is expired but after checking the tap, and the other tanks and comparing, I think it is likely close. Need to get a new one.

Spent an hour testing everything.

Yesterday I estimated the Magnesium that I put into the tank, using a different container than I normally do, a larger container. Too much Magnesium. Wider diameter cup, deeper cup.

Which got me thinking, I had been estimating /dosing these things from test results from a couple years back. So thought I would retest and make sure I would get it right.

The tap GH is around 7
Tap KH is 1

Due to the high GH, I did a ~45G water change, another flush water through the canister to empty but 9 really full 5G buckets of water back in.

Added a dose of calcium before the pwc because it is dangerously low for a crash.

After the pwc

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
pH was a little cray at 7.6 Thankfully I added the buckets over an hour and I do not think that the fish have had any issues.
GH 17 instead of 38-40
kH was 2

Possibly will add another half dose of Calcium and maybe will get to 3.

On the GH and KH I did many tests over and over to make sure I hadn't done anything wrong. Sick of testing!!!

Also tested other tanks and found things in order, the 46G is due for the water change and was at 30+ Nitrates. That will come down with the clean.

The SW cycling 12G Nano was
0 Ammonia
Maximun on the chart NitrItes (no animals in the tank)
NitrAtes were around 60-80
pH 8.2

That cycle is looking great. Maybe will add the heater in there I forgot about it.

Oh here is the pic of the BN Albino Ancistrus guarding the eggs. Tried cropping it to get a good shot, but that is best I could get, he was getting antsy with me shining the flashlight in there a few times trying to get a decent pic.
The cave is around 7-8" long partially buried in the substrate. The Pleco is 4+ inches long maybe 5+.
60074-albums11380-picture71010.jpg

Blasted Swordtail! Again!!! He's chasing around the other Angel now like a shark - on the hunt for a 5x bigger prey than him!

He needs to be in with some semi agressive fish that are meaner than he is. I think he needs to go to the auction and find a new home.

Last edited:
Treated the 10g with erythromycin for blue-green algae. No fish in the tank, so I don't have to worry about nuking the cycle. I've also decided to break the tank down and restart it: I had originally set it up as a hasty grow out tank for platys, but they grow fine in the 20-long, so I want to reset this one as a low tech planted tank. Maybe with some sparking gouramis.

Speaking of platys, I harvested 10 young-adults and full adults and took them to my LFS. There were way too many in the tank, and I think the neons were getting stressed. I think I'm going to look for another store to take them too in the future, though: mine only accepts donations -- no cash or store credit. Given the work it takes me to raise these little guys, I think I should get something.

Back
Top Bottom