What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tired of spilling, dropping and breaking tubes. Tested 3 tanks today and the stand made it so much easier. View attachment 298348
Hey tmaier how do you text you GH and kh with a API test kit and if so how do you test them?

Iv heard of two different ways , the way the instructions says to do one drop at a time shake each time til it's turns from one color to another . 10 drop equals 10dkh for kh . Right ? Well a lfs told me to follow the instructions like it says then the result I get example 5 drop equals 5dkh for kh and divide that by 2 .

Hey tmaier how do you text you GH and kh with a API test kit and if so how do you test them?

Iv heard of two different ways , the way the instructions says to do one drop at a time shake each time til it's turns from one color to another . 10 drop equals 10dkh for kh . Right ? Well a lfs told me to follow the instructions like it says then the result I get example 5 drop equals 5dkh for kh and divide that by 2 .

For the API test kit however many drops equals how much dKH. You do not divide by 2 not with the API kit anyway.

For the API test kit however many drops equals how much dKH. You do not divide by 2 not with the API kit anyway.
Ok that's what I was thinking when they told me that I was like have I been doing this wrong the whole time lol thanks buddy

Ok that's what I was thinking when they told me that I was like have I been doing this wrong the whole time lol thanks buddy

Take this photo taken from the API instructions and ask them to show you where it says to divide anything by two lol.
IMG_4255.jpg

Lol I know was thinking that in my head when he was telling me he prolly got it mixed up with another brand test kit cuase they are one of the best lfs here in Austin

What you do is next time you go in tell him he owes you a fish or a plant if you can prove him wrong lol. Then show him the instructions [emoji23]

Got a dwarf gourami and 2 otos today an 7 chili rasboras
Think I'm gonna get around 16 chili rasboras an 2 more otos and that's it for fish IMG_20170422_192416.jpgIMG_20170422_192426.jpg

1492912827305.jpg
The spouse sent me this picture with the caption
The red pilot light (front) means AC power (timer) on. The red switch (side) means 24 VDC (solenoid) on. The green pilot light (side) means fan on. The fan is on an external switch since I don't have a transformer temperature switch handy. ;)

It seems the CO2 system has been upgraded.

Unfortunately, I also got this picture
1492910967419.jpg

We're talking about otos.

No looks like alot of plugs into that adapter lol. Im not an electrician but....

Ah. Yeah, the outlet is a double duplex gfci. The cubes I had never seen before, but they're grounded (three prong). Each one has the filter and heater for one tank so I unplug the cube instead of the individual components.

This house was built in 1928, so we've had to redo a lot of wiring. This outlet was installed specifically for the tanks. The cubes might be iffy, but I'm confident in the outlet.

The transformer is its own thing. The spouse built it. It might have a separate timer for the lights, but I haven't seen it in person yet to say for sure. Much better than the first attempt at a solenoid, which used AC power. Hahaha

Edited to add:
That shelf is the one I had written about a bit ago because the spouse had planned to drill into the stand with the fish in the tank still. The thinking was that it would be less stressful than draining the tank and moving it. I have been told that they spent the renovations in a clean mixing bowl, except the kuhlis because it's impossible to catch kuhlis.

Last edited:
You know more about your setup than we do, just want everything safe. Your spouse sounds handy, even though I've worked around electronics a lot I couldn't do that.
Sure nice to have someone who knows what they're doing around.

Back
Top Bottom