What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know more about your setup than we do, just want everything safe. Your spouse sounds handy, even though I've worked around electronics a lot I couldn't do that.
Sure nice to have someone who knows what they're doing around.
If you guys were telling me for sure there was a problem from an oblique and partially obscured image, I'd be grumpy. Saying it looks iffy, which is really a question, is another thing.

I had someone point out a bird's nest in a light fixture once. Very grateful that we could prevent a fire! More eyes are good.
I wonder what the cue is for algae to appear just for co2? The plants must send out some kind of trigger. Either that or ammonia fluctuations due to inefficient uptake.
I thought it would be okay because we also left the lights off. I'm wondering now if the decreased light stressed the plants. Regardless, it's a mess. I'm really bummed out about it.

Maintenance Sunday

Spec iii (sons)
Got a trim on java, one root tab, trimmed rotala, rinsed media, h2o2, 75pwc

10g
Java moss trim, rotala trim planted two stems from cuttings, trimmed wendtii, pitched some minima, rinsed media, h2o2, 60pwc

69c33aa2d11a1daeebb68228bb98913a.jpg
a385e0d4fe3d940852fe86a2d400099e.jpg

Redneck biorb was born.

Vase - .25 gallons
Hardscape - rocks from chicken run, azalea twig
Bailing twine for decor

Flora - s.minima, j.moss, 2 micro marimo balls, rotala stem
Inverts - 2 mts, 1 ramshorn

Cost.....zero

Ph 8

TMaier permission to join the biorb club lol

05ffcf12d873fb5a96aefac347b0fc18.jpg

No idea why its sideways lol

Hahaha very industrious vase. But it isn't a true orb until you have had to deal with the very questionable filter design. Honorary membership granted!

Redneck biorb was born.

Vase - .25 gallons
Hardscape - rocks from chicken run, azalea twig
Bailing twine for decor

Flora - s.minima, j.moss, 2 micro marimo balls, rotala stem
Inverts - 2 mts, 1 ramshorn

Cost.....zero

Ph 8

TMaier permission to join the biorb club lol

05ffcf12d873fb5a96aefac347b0fc18.jpg

No idea why its sideways lol
Nice... Good luck with this biorb!

I wonder what the cue is for algae to appear just for co2? The plants must send out some kind of trigger. Either that or ammonia fluctuations due to inefficient uptake.

Less co2 means less nutrient/light uptake by plants therefore algae utilize the extra light and nutrients. Very delicate balance indeed and doesn't take much to tip the balance scale. Algae always waiting for the slightest opportunity and doesn't need much to take hold.

Added 7 chili rasboras
I dwarf gourami
2 otos
4 amano shrimp

Plan to get at least 10 more chilli rasboras if lfs has some
Also added some hydro sp Japan to far right corner it was emersed so see how long that takes to switch to submersed

Nursery tank and Baby Orb got a PWC and vacuum. Glued some rhizome to rock. Gonna do some water change in Big Daddy Orb too.

Did a major trimming on the 20-long this afternoon. Happy to say I've got the algae problem mostly under control, not so happy to say I had to toss away some very nice Ludwigia trimmings. Wish I had a club nearby i could have taken them to. I took some pics that I'll post in an update to that tank's thread.

Barely saw the fish tonight. Fed and said hi. I have odd Gourami which swims in a circle upside down when he's eating or wants to take a look at something - always looks like it is dying for a second but it eats a pellet or dodges an Angelfish and it has been doing this for a couple years just freaks me out a little when I see a long ~5" wide fish swim upside down.

Kept seeing a small fish a fry growing larger, in the 72G thinking it was an accidental Platy fry (as in tank was only supposed to be male Platy), just realized it is a Rio Otappa Mexican Sword baby!!! Surprising it made it to over haf inch and now doesn't seem so afraid of the big Angelfish.

The other night I also saw 2 of the SAE doing a wiggle giggle tango dance next to the cave, not that I would ever expect a baby of theirs to survive but I am pretty sure they were doing a baby dance.

Saw them acting differently around the front of the tank and finally got over there and that was it, they didn't want any observations and went to the back of the tank. But cool to see.

Barely saw the fish tonight. Fed and said hi. I have odd Gourami which swims in a circle upside down when he's eating or wants to take a look at something - always looks like it is dying for a second but it eats a pellet or dodges an Angelfish and it has been doing this for a couple years just freaks me out a little when I see a long ~5" wide fish swim upside down.

Kept seeing a small fish a fry growing larger, in the 72G thinking it was an accidental Platy fry (as in tank was only supposed to be male Platy), just realized it is a Rio Otappa Mexican Sword baby!!! Surprising it made it to over haf inch and now doesn't seem so afraid of the big Angelfish.

The other night I also saw 2 of the SAE doing a wiggle giggle tango dance next to the cave, not that I would ever expect a baby of theirs to survive but I am pretty sure they were doing a baby dance.

Saw them acting differently around the front of the tank and finally got over there and that was it, they didn't want any observations and went to the back of the tank. But cool to see.
I had a Honey Gourami that fed like that lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finally finally got all of the timers and trippers I need to have the lights, solenoid, and Bubbles the dinosaur scheduled.

20170424_214121.jpg
Maxime can tell time. The air pump was minutes from starting when she moved over and waited. Hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom