I failed at making a DIY bubble counter today. Turns out that 3/5 of the one way valves i bought in one pack leak from the side and one of the bottle tops with tubing insert now leaks a lot after squeezing bottles to find leaks. Probably been wasting or inhaling half the CO2
i have run for a couple of months. No wonder i start falling asleep when i watch the 20g tank. Always thought that some bottles just didn't produce much compared to others. Seems the valves are the cause.
Did 50% WC
, fed flakes, some diced lettuce leaves i grew specifically for the Comets with their waste water.
top up, fed NT's, HR's and Kuhlis on bloodworms for the first time plus some lettuce.
Set up a spare 20g to soak a few bits of driftwood i found. One will be well loved by my Kuhlis. It has a small tunnel network with a few narrow bits. They seem to love wriggling through a tiny opening in a rock formation they mostly dwell in. I'll possibly burn another tunnel into it with a soldering iron tomorrow
Finally have enough plants that no WC
waste is tipped on the ground by the end of the week and lots of lettuce ready to harvest. I have basil and oregano plants that are begging for a trim too. Pretty happy with the startup plants i have ready for the aquaponics setup i will build soon. Have about 30 strawberry plants emerged and getting new leaves and a lot of different seeds to get running when i replant what i have in water.
And finally i built a simple play tube i hope to picture my Kuhlis in. Just a suction cap holding some clear tube from their cave sytem and leading up to the middle of the tank. Going to see if they're using it now.