What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep. Not sure if she's struggling with dropping or if it's something else.
What are you water parameters I might be wrong on this but if I remember correctly what cause s it is poor water conditions I'm not a 100% sure thought

I'm not experienced enough for that plant yet. I'm looking for something a newbie can plant and has some color besides green.
One which looks nice is Ludwigia Repens x L. Arcuata. Not too demanding for light likes a little ferts, nice color and texture.

~~~

Pwc on Shrimp bowl, 12G Edge and 6.6G Tangerine Tger Shrimp. Removed some scoops of Duck Weed from the Edge tanks to the to the pond.

Set up the 17G Sterlite plastic tote for plants, added a bunch of the new plants to it. Moving the Wabi-Kusa cuttings to the tub in the morning.

Last edited:
"Hardscape" more like "look at all these cool rocks and sticks!"
Picked out some cool rocks for my new 29 gal, won't have it up and cycling for a couple weeks yet so I'll wait to make a thread, but I'm getting excited!

"Hardscape" more like "look at all these cool rocks and sticks!"
Picked out some cool rocks for my new 29 gal, won't have it up and cycling for a couple weeks yet so I'll wait to make a thread, but I'm getting excited!
Very nice

I attempted to round out my otos. Purchased three, one was swimming sideways by the time we got home, and two had died before I finished a reasonably slow drip acclimation.

The spouse is blaming the store, but I'm feeling icky about otos altogether at this point.

Being at the shop-- there's so much I want! He has red crystal shrimp that look like candy canes, pink and blue rabbit snails, and more furcata rainbows.

I did regular water changes. Not a lot of time for anything else.

Got home pretty late.

Suddenly notice/surprised by ANGRY fighting with the big blue Opaline Gourami and the Angels. They were attacking her and then she went right back at them and gave them a couple good bites, etc. Never bothers anyone unless she is antagonized over and over and can really dish out a can of whoop!

She likes to meander all around the top area between the plants looking for snacks.

After the confusion of trying to see what was going on, saw it was the Angelfish eggs - a huge number of them plastered over two smallish Anubias leaves.

I acclimated the Gourami to the 29G which is just sitting empty. The other fish are small and fast and will get out of the way of the Angels easily. Gourami is a big target and won't understand that the wandering slowly around is pissing off the Angel pair, two biting at her so sad.

Added a large cluster of floating water wisteria over there as there is just a fake tree log deco since there wasn't a light, there is enough light coming of the one end of the light next to it I think for the one plant.

Might move over a couple more plants floating Wisteria as the baby Platy are about the size that they wouldn't get eaten. At least tomorrow I will move over the bigger Platy babies. Add a little light.

The Gourami doesn't seem to care if they are there and 1/4 - 1/3". Less than half were tiny ones - two batches, growing nicely.

It seems crowded in the breeder net. There are about 11-12 Platy.

Pwc on the SW nano refill evap on all SW & FW.

One of my Rock Flower Anemones is acting odd and seems to close up half the time the last couple days why I did a pwc before tomorrow. Need to trim the Macro Algae too tomorrow.

Got a new gooseneck desk lamp for my planted bowl. Planning to upgrade it to a 2G vintage style glass cylinder canister shape. It is a brandy snifter bowl now maybe not quite 2G.

Was VERY excited the other day to find a vintage style turtle bowl in the XL size for 7.50 at a ReStore. Also got a few cylinder vases & containers for Wabi - Kusa from the Goodwill for .99-3.99. Much better deal than at the hobby store. Could have got some cheaper at other thrift stores but did not have the time for "shopping" around. Mission accomplished!

I think the big turtle bowl will be a shrimp planted bowl with plants that can grow out the top :).

It is sad but I actually did have a soft shell turtle from the dime store when I was little, like 3 years old, which lived in the same kind of bowl with one rock in the center, on a coffee table, then later a side table. It got a water change every few days. It was my first water pet, if you don't count the duck.

Might try a couple Guppies in the pond to see if they do alright sometime this week.

Last edited:
Finally got everything at home settled. Buck managed the move from my friend's place to home pretty well. Plants are doing well, but while I was setting the plants in and everything during the rescape that came with the move I noticed that the pest snails I have in Buck's 5.5 gallon were nibbling on my Banana Lily. I have decided that it is time to declare war on them. Ran over to PetSmart earlier today to grab a Little Critter tote to house the 'exterminators' for the pests. Went over to Big Al's and grabbed two assassin snails to get rid of them. I have decided everytime I see one of the pests in the 5.5 gallon, I am going to suction them up and deposit them into what I am calling 'Snail Death Row' where they can live the rest of their peaceful lives running in terror. I'm going to try and make everything look nice in the 1 gallon Death Row later today and tomorrow so I'll post pics of the set-up then.

PWC and vacuum on the 30l biorb. Red and the CPDs are getting along fine. The CPDs are starting to develop a bit of color.

Also did a PWC, vacuum and canister rinse on the nursery. Moved the Khuli's my main tank to stop the mindless shrimp slaughtering. First clutch of snails hatched and I got white polka dots moving around the tank.

Pull some more moss out of the yard to submerge and put a lawn in for the shrimp in a month or so.

Cleaned the glass on my main tank, can't spot a Khuli anywhere. But they're getting brine shrimp tonight. It's a Khuli party when you bring out the brine shrimp.

Glared at the hydra in the Biube. Pond snails haven't eaten it yet. Nobody gets fed till they're gone.

Cleaned the terrestrial snail jar and added fresh leaves and branches. Cucumbers are a big hit.

Got home pretty late.

Suddenly notice/surprised by ANGRY fighting with the big blue Opaline Gourami and the Angels. They were attacking her and then she went right back at them and gave them a couple good bites, etc. Never bothers anyone unless she is antagonized over and over and can really dish out a can of whoop!

She likes to meander all around the top area between the plants looking for snacks.

After the confusion of trying to see what was going on, saw it was the Angelfish eggs - a huge number of them plastered over two smallish Anubias leaves.

Our dwarf gourami was too stupid to leave our blue ram eggs alone and I thought someone was going to get killed.

How in the heck do you get ahold of a pond snail. Can't seem to grab the little buggers.
Come up from below with a net.

••••••

Replanted some plants that were attempting to escape. Cleaned the entire area. Enjoyed watching.

Check valves finally came, so I installed those.

The spouse and child took back the two dead otos and brought home a new rainbow.

Quarantine is quite full. Everybody's still alive! I feel like we're nearing "out of the woods" on the injuries.

I had a moment of panic as I realized how much time and effort I put into this hobby.

Not much. Yesterday I spent as much time as it takes to drop in some flakes in the Planted tank and pellets in the shrimp tank. Today I almost forgot to feed them. Missing an endler in the Planted tank; last time I saw her was a few days ago. Tanks are pretty much in cruise control and I can't complain about that.

I had a moment of panic as I realized how much time and effort I put into this hobby.

Spouse keeps saying that this hobby seems to be very time consuming and that I buy many fish and wonders if I just kill alot of fish and how it seems to not be that relaxing of a hobby if I keep spending nights testing and changing water and moving fish around...especially at 2am.

His [fill in the blank for any of the things he keeps which do not die lets say like DVD's and many other things] Don't have to be replaced so often, just go get them out of the closet/garage /cabinet and enjoy.

***Tmaier- are you seeing the shrimp population decline with Kuhlis and tankmates, is that what you were getting at?? I totally found that after the Kuhlis were moved out of my shrimp tank (being there to grow out as they were very small), the shrimp population got bigger fast.

I am so happy to get to planting the turtle bowl. Decided to use the new Amazonia Light for that. I have some Rotalla recently purchase, I let just float in the Spec V and it is really red at the top and starting to grow out of the water, which I would like to use. Finally have a "day off" lol, have too many things to ever even get to, that I am way behind on. I grabbed the turtle bowl to at least clean it out.

Rinsed the bucket of Amazonia I all but forgot. Will let sit again after 24 hours will test for ammonia.

***Tmaier- are you seeing the shrimp population decline with Kuhlis and tankmates, is that what you were getting at?? I totally found that after the Kuhlis were moved out of my shrimp tank (being there to grow out as they were very small), the shrimp population got bigger fast.
Exactly!!! I was seeing a few half consumed shrimp every day. But since they were added right after the double planaria treatment I was hesitant to blame it on them. They were moved yesterday. So fun catching 6 wigglers had to take the tank apart. Oh and I found 6 shrimp in the canister lol!

Moved fry from the quarantine to the Spec. Got a heater, since they aren't ramshorns who can handle room temperature.

Did some trimming. Found an exoskeleton for the first time!

Trying to trap ramshorns in the community so that I can put them in the Spec. The guppies want the bait.

Moved fry from the quarantine to the Spec. Got a heater, since they aren't ramshorns who can handle room temperature.

Did some trimming. Found an exoskeleton for the first time!

Trying to trap ramshorns in the community so that I can put them in the Spec. The guppies want the bait.

ROFL I can see if it were me with a couple chop sticks shoo, shoo, get outta here. lol

Was rinsing off a metal with glass top sofa table as a sudden big rolling thunder storm was coming thru hubby said be careful you might break that [glass top] I say well then I won't have to finish cleaning it.

Was almost finished. Had about 10" left to wipe off under the glass of the 4' long table.

As a combination of wet slipping dusty slime I was rinsing off and the wind and being stupid Let's just end that by saying I will not have to finish cleaning the table but will need to clean up a large pile of glass shards. SToopid!!! Really did NOT think that was going to happen. Thought it could but didn not think it would :(

Was able to rinse out the turtle bowl without breaking it - so far.

Added about 4 solo plastic cups of wet Amazon light substrate. ~2"+ now what to do with it. Will not have a table to put it on this week. so ???

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom