What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
50% water change
Still slow on the baby tears but it's still throwing out new shoots
Adding 12 pygmy Cory's will be adding 15 more chili rasboras whenever the LFS has some IMG_20170507_204714.jpgIMG_20170507_204654.jpg

Here is a video clip towards the middle end of what I got to see at AGA 2017 Convention. And the two workshops I missed out on! The AGA part starts at 9:17

Stopped at LFS and bought a few plants for my big tank: 3 crinums and an Amazon sword "compacta" which I gather just grows slower.

Twiddling my thumbs waiting for my online plant order to come in...

Something is up. I spotted 2 shrimp bodies tonight. No Khuli's in the tank.

Time to whip out the test kit.

Stopped at LFS and bought a few plants for my big tank: 3 crinums and an Amazon sword "compacta" which I gather just grows slower.

Twiddling my thumbs waiting for my online plant order to come in...

Oooh Crinums!!!!!

Something is up. I spotted 2 shrimp bodies tonight. No Khuli's in the tank.

Time to whip out the test kit.

Dang! Always something. Oh how I know.

```````
Well last night I found a dying Peppered Cory. I caught him in a net just in case he would perk up but this morning he found he had died.

Doing a 50% pwc in a minute.

Other fish look alright. Will do a test before.

Angels in the 46G moved their eggs to a new couple leaves as there were maybe 20 white eggs mixed into all the good ones. Now they are all orange, no white ones.

Gourami looks bored in the 29G. Will add the baby Platy, never got around to it as I inteded to do a pwc first.

Did a pwc in the 6.6G SW Edge nano. One thing is I found a big glob of some kind of snail eggs. Secondly found a bunch of little snails which I can not think of their name, thought it was Dwarf planaxis, but not in the pics I searched. They are a glass hugging type - flat - look like a super tiny, maybe a Limpet, they have a name. :facepalm: so annoying when I can't think of it!

One of the Rock Flower Anemones moved the other day about 3 inches around towards the center of the tank from the side front.

Also did not get to trim the Macroalgae yet, and now over due!

Found a bunch of 6 leg Serpent or Dwarf Brittlestars, last night after feeding.

Stirred up the Chaeto balls in the 12G SW nano cycled tank but haven't seen the other snail. So will need to review the tests. But won't have time for the next coupel days. Thinking it will be a complete water change. Too.

Put two new tall DW pieces into the moist substrate of the turtle bowl. Looking at it.

The dark red leaves of the Rotalla grew about 2 inches in the last 2 days out of the tank - Spec V.

Last edited:
Feeding and need to do pwc all around.

Angel babies are wigglers and the parents are insane!!!

Was talking with someone about CPO and saw a glimpse of mine and ran over to get a pic. Turned out good, not as cute as when he has his little claw up in the water trying to capture something, but cute.
60074-albums13946-picture71153.jpg

One of my original platys died this week. Not a surprise: I think she was old and she had been visibly declining for a while. So, last Wednesday, I figured I'd let nature take its course and I'd fish her out that night.

Only, when I got home Wednesday, I couldn't find her... :confused:

Nor could I find her Thursday... :confused::confused:

Finally found... what was left of her Friday evening when I got home. Just part of the spine and the caudal area, with just enough scales left on it for me to recognize her color and ID the body.

The amano shrimp, meanwhile, were looking both innocent *and* very well-fed. :eek: :shocked!:

Barliman - So sorry to hear that you lost the fish. Knowing the fish is old but it can still be a bummer.

Hoping all moms had a good Mother's Day. Mine was so busy I didn't get too much done. But...

I finally got the pwc completed in the 72G. The water is a bit cloudy.

If remember correctly, I took out the Purigen from the filter and mistakenly did NOT put it back in.

Plus I found a dead baby Ancistrus, and a live one I rescued from the 72G went into the Spec V with the other one which now looks huge next to the newly independent baby.

I had added the Indian Almond Leaves. Not remembering atm, whether the cloudy started before or after the leaves. But also maybe the deaths of the baby pleco(s? only saw one dead one). Is a factor in any way.

Anyhow I plan to do a filter rinse tomorrow.

Also the Discus is coming out more with people in the room and tonight even came out with a stranger sitting on the couch next to her corner of the tank after about an hour.

As a big negative, I think two of the 3 Angels have paired up leaving a much bitten and chased "3rd wheel". Of course, I couldn't just have 3 males. 2 females and a male I guess. I plan to move the extra Angel to the new 29G QT to hang out with the Opaline Gourami.

Spent time today telling about all the tanks of fish and answering questions about the fish and shrimp so much fun of course to have someone actually interested. hahahaha.

Played hooky yesterday. I know Sunday was mom day but it sure cut into tank maintenance.

Yesterday did a 5g PWC on the 20g nursery and removed a bit more black diamond media. So difficult to do and not massacre baby mystery snails.

Also did a PWC, vacuum and canister clean on my Khuli's tank.

When I moved the Khuli's a few weeks back a also inadvertently moved 4 RCS. So far none of the fish have eaten them.

Got the bunch of Platy fry moved into the 29G. There are about 12-15. Watching the Gourami and he is getting the foods and ignoring the babies.

Today I got a little ~1.5-2" Ryukin fancy Goldfish. Watched this particular fish for a while and it was by far the spunkier and most agile of the group, the shorter tail fin variety.

For awhile, I will see if it works with the Turquoise Rainbow pair (maybe soon trio) and the WCMM and the Spotted Raphael cat in the 46G. I do not think that the feeding differences will be a problem. Already feed the fish all different foods for their types/sizes.

My real hope would be to get this fish to be a pond dweller. There is more work for me to get the right pond situation than a tank for now. So tank for now, it is a pretty small one too.

The pond I have is getting its test now with 6 Rosy Fathead Minnows. got them to make sure all is well and the light color will look good in the tannish brown pond.

The someday Koi pond will not be a reality for a long while so I thought maybe these kind of fish may be an intermediate option.

Being aware that the GF may need special arrangements for ts own tank after it gets bigger if it does not end up going into the pond.

The idea is still that I get a much larger main tank for the 72G inhabitants. And move the 46G to the 72G. Otherwise I am on the lookout for the matching stand and tank 72G to make them twins. Have found the tank but not the right stand.

My problem fish are the pair of Koi Angels, they need their own space, so I will likely be switching the fish in the 29G - baby Platy and the GF and the Opaline Gourami over to the 46G.

The Angel pair laid eggs again, just a couple days after the last wigglers were eaten. Now they are where the rest of the fish usually hang out so the rest of the fish are getting chased ferociously out of their usual hang out space! :facepalm: LOL I say this all they time but I am getting tired of Angelfish not being Angels. Not realistic to think that a fish like that wouldn't behave as it has forever.

Now we'll see how everyone settles in.

Biggest issue is the Angels.

They do look kinda big, but I haven't got any fry to compare them to. [emoji20]

The little buggers don't pose for pictures very well. Lol

Yesterday I added 6 Neon Tetras to my tank. They were a Mother's Day/birthday present from my daughter and 2 grand children. I did a partial water change.

The past couple of days have been huge for heavy lifting. After realizing that the ramshorns were literally eating our mystery snails, we moved them and the rabbit snails to quarantine and got two assassin snails temporarily. The assassins weren't even touching the population, which hung out mostly in the plants anyway, and I got impatient and pulled everything out to clean and remove a snails. Dozens of ramshorns in the plants. Innumerable in the substrate. I'm planning on taking a bunch to the fish nerd place.

I put the tank back together (I may list some rotala and java ferns in the next couple of days) and moved the inhabitants back. One rainbow didn't survive the transition, which makes me really sad. I'm also seeing lots of ramshorns again!

Almost immediately after reintroduction, one of the assassins went for an adult rabbit. Now the rabbit and mystery snails are in the isolation box because I still want the assassins working on the [redacted] ramshorn population.

The spouse doesn't want me to return the assassins. Suggested putting them in the 20 long with the pea puffers, otos, and amano shrimp. Would the puffers eat them before the assassins ate the shrimp?

Quarantine is still up with guppy fry and baby rabbit snails. Tomorrow is water change day. I generally find water changes pretty satisfying, getting everything all cleaned up and pretty.

I did some research on galvanized steel in aquaria. I made a moss wall that is neat but based on polyester screen, so it's very flexible. I happen to have on hand some galvanized hardware fabric, and so I've been researching exactly how much zinc leeches into the water column. At this point I'm thinking it's not worth it. Better to get some stainless or aluminum.

The spouse doesn't want me to return the assassins. Suggested putting them in the 20 long with the pea puffers, otos, and amano shrimp. Would the puffers eat them before the assassins ate the shrimp?

Quarantine is still up with guppy fry and baby rabbit snails. Tomorrow is water change day. I generally find water changes pretty satisfying, getting everything all cleaned up and pretty.

You might want to do some research on the Assassins. I was recently told by a fish club member that it is thought that the A snails use a neuro toxin to immobilize their prey. I do not know this, and haven't read this, but I also haven't seemed to make the time to read all the latest articles from fish magazines, etc. It would make me wonder if I would want my Puffer eating a neuro toxin containing A snail?!??!?

~~~~A novella

So, so, so busy. Hardly time for anything.

A few days back I got a stylish SS commercial quality office gooseneck desk lamp with AC plugs and USB slot in the base, for $3 from a yard sale looks brand new. It is pretty beautiful looking over the brandy snifter shrimp bowl providing sleek style and great light over the top of it.

Two baby BN pleco fry last spawn and current spawn surviors seem to be doing great. After changing the lightbulb in the tank to the daylight like 5600K it doesn't seem to be growing the algae on the side of the tank like the older one. The Plecos ate all that was growing there!!!!! about the size of a hand total from boths sides of the narrow Spec V. Gone!!!

Planning to order a new AC power adapter for that tank to once again be able to use its sleek stock light so I am not using the old lamp I was using on the Salt tank which is salty, and now rusting a little because of it.

The Ryukin Goldy baby is nicknamed "Busy" because that fish is everywhere, all over checking things out.

Added a bunch of duckweed for the little darling and looks like a bunch of it is gone. Nice because I have a duckweed production facility going, lol!

The baby Platy fry seemed to have doubled their size in the last couple days with all the room to roam and started to get a little of the pretty blue color starting.

Found that there were a couple dead Minnows in the pond after getting them in a few days ago and since it is pretty chilly with the rolling storms of rain and snow, it has been hard to check on them.

Thinking a new tub/pond container is needed. Do not know if there was something like wasp spray on it. I will try one more round when we are slatted for good weather.

Angel's eggs are wigglers yet again. Last time I moved a Koi Angel pair even using all the same water from their original tank to fill their new "spawning" tank they didn't even lay eggs for 6-8 months/ever really in that tank, let along get wigglers like they had in the community tank. :blink: But willing to try to "switch" them 46G community to the 29G.

Planning for a couple more SW snails in the cycled SW nano to test it out now that I adjusted the salinity last week.

Need to get the algae off the rock, I'd move the Fuzzy Chiton (a rock cleaning machine of a critter) if I could find him. The tank has crystal sparking clear water now. I keep throwing a big pinch of fish food in every week to keep feeding the live bacteria in the rocks.

Longest time ever to have an empty tank, lol! Honestly don't have time right now still to wreck out the other 6.6G SW nano tank and chance that the move of things won't go smoothly. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." applies here. Likely to add a fish into the 12G, then gradually move things over.

Will hope to swing by the supplier soon and get a good batch of pods for the tank

Added water for evap to most of the tanks.

Need to get the pwc done in the morning.

Tonight is CAS monthly "fish club" meeting. So tired. I might not make it for the hour plus drive through the middle of Denver, on a Friday afternoon eve. rush hour in poor weather. :hide:

The tanks are like jungles and there are packages and containers of aquarium plants all over and pots of garden plants inside due to the late season freezing storm. It is near chaos!!!:eek:

Okay, okay - maybe I'm seeing why I can't get everything done as quickly as I would like. All those little things take up so much time!

Have to order more fish stuff online too. Another light, some foods and price out some parts. Thank goodness I have a "day off" tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You might want to do some research on the Assassins. I was recently told by a fish club member that it is thought that the A snails use a neuro toxin to immobilize their prey. I do not know this, and haven't read this, but I also haven't seemed to make the time to read all the latest articles from fish magazines, etc. It would make me wonder if I would want my Puffer eating a neuro toxin containing A snail?!??!?

I do need to do more research, because the plan was to have the buggers work for a week and then go back.

Pretty much what I've found so far is either, "they are snails and puffers eat snails therefore puffers will eat these particular snails," or that the stripes warn critters to not eat them. They're both in with the puffers now. We'll see.

••••••

Fresh sent me some lovely stauro repens. Planted that. It looks nice.
20170519_175154.jpg

Water change. Watching snails very closely. I truly am a crazy snail lady.

••••••

Update:
The stripes don't prevent the puffers from flipping the assassins over. I walked up to the tank and the puffer looked at me, then the up-turned assassin... Back at me, back at the snail...

It's in a little cup for now.

Last edited:
Look out!

Moved the Angelfish eggs to the 29G and then the parents. First got the eggs and 12-14" Anubias plant acclimated to the new water in the 29G, then the parents.

It took the parent fish about 20 min. to find their eggs. I am leaving them alone but they are doing something, whether they are eating them or just moving them not sure yet.

Lost a couple baby Platy. Moved them and the Opaline Gourami into the 46G Still counted around 14-15.

Did pwc on 46G and 80% on the 29G with no fish in it.

Cleaned out macroalgae over growth from the SW nano, cleaned some of the glass.

Added a little bit of water to the pond, can see a few fish swimming. Found a couple dead ones too. Feeder fish are not usually too strong to start with. At least with a few living , I do not feel like there is a toxic residue issue any longer. My next hope will be to rinse out the pond a little bit and freshen up the water. Maybe will buy 15-20 feeder fish and see how that goes, or if I can find someone with a bunch of Guppies, that might be fun too.

The plants are slowly growing. Weather has been pretty cold especially at night, and the pond in under a deck so gets mostly bright shade and just a slice of sun. Slow growth with low temps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom