What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Planted some crypts in my cycling 75g! Trimmed some of my ludwigia red too!

Fingers crossed for you!

SW Nano recovery \

Noticed a few issues, with the macroalgae blanching at the ends.

Pom Pom Crabs each lost one of their 2 "poms poms" the tiny anemones. Took a pic. The one which is a tad larger looks like it already snipped a chunk off of its other anemone to make 2, and it will grow bigger eventually.

One of my Rock Flower Anemones moved about 4 inches away from the center area/light.

Saw an Anemone Shrimp molt stuck in the Chaetomorpha algae.

Had an extra amount of algae speckles /dots on the glass - weird.

Haven't really had time to search the tiny areas and see how the Pods population survived, and the tiny feather dusters, and some other little things.

My cute little Yellow Clown Goby s looking okay as far as I can tell. Was hungry this morning so I take that as a good sign.

Maybe okay - a cautious okay ? :)

I did a water change, accidentally uprooted half of my fake plants, and ended up rescaping the entire thing because I couldn't remember where everything went. I HATE it now! I'll have to fix it soon before it drives me crazy lol.

The CO2 is still doing nicely, settled in at 1 bubble per second. This weekend I'm going to experiment with turning it up to 2BPS, since the drop checker has yet to go green.

Unfortunately, just as I finally get CO2, I seem to have lost my battle to save my alternanthera reineckii: I found the main bunch of stems floating (stem rot) and the lower leaves were so covered in green fuzz algae that it wasn't worth trying to save the algae-free tips. I blame the lack of CO2 over the last year.

But, I shall not give up: I *will* have prospering red plants. :)

The CO2 is still doing nicely, settled in at 1 bubble per second. This weekend I'm going to experiment with turning it up to 2BPS, since the drop checker has yet to go green.

Unfortunately, just as I finally get CO2, I seem to have lost my battle to save my alternanthera reineckii: I found the main bunch of stems floating (stem rot) and the lower leaves were so covered in green fuzz algae that it wasn't worth trying to save the algae-free tips. I blame the lack of CO2 over the last year.

But, I shall not give up: I *will* have prospering red plants. :)
I have way too much AR. Give me a couple of weeks and I can send you some trimmings. Haha

······

Water tests yesterday. I'm definitely realizing the benefits of dosing micro and macro fertilizers separately. I don't want to add my everything fertilizer when nitrates are around 40, but I still want to add other nutrients.

I trimmed all of the java fern in the Spec back to rhizomes. It was blocking light to the rotala, and some of the leaves were getting raggedy. I put the leaves in water in case any of the ramshorn eggs are still viable.

We have two guppy fry in the community with super black tails. I'm glad to see that the population isn't exploding all over the place, and I may actually be able to sell any of the Moscow blacks.

Speaking of babies, I found a pea puffer egg in the Ponyo tank. The prospect of puffer fry makes me giddy.

It can be hard to find fish in that tank now that the plants have grown in so thoroughly. I think that's mostly a good problem, although I do like doing headcounts.

I'm a busy busy fish Mama...

Did a big water change today: aprox 50% because nitrites spiked. I've been dosing with 5x SeaChem Prime because ammonia and nitrites are never solidly at zero. Which is disappointing, seeing as I moved EVERYTHING solid from one tank to the new one, and being completely cycled still seems to be a problem.

Sponge covers for filter intakes arrives in the mail today!
Big batch of elodea and marimo moss balls arrived yesterday.
Along with the two pieces of driftwood in the tank, I think it looks lovely, though I know it's a basic tank.

I don't feel ready to take on a planted tank, but for now, my goldie has an interesting world to live in! which makes me very happy :)

Gotta go get more Prime, and some Stability from LFS tomorrow...
WIN_20170713_12_18_31_Pro.jpg

I did a 60% water change and rescaped my tank with new silk plants! While I love planted tanks, I'm only doing floating plants until I can upgrade my lights. In the meantime, there are plenty of hiding places for my amano shrimp, guppies, and rams.
IMG_20170714_152647077.jpgIMG_20170714_153115_042.jpg

PWC and vacuum on the Nursery today.

The LFS guy who swore he would buy all my snails bailed on me. No problem, I had another guy waiting in the wings. Lol.

I'll tackle the canister tomorrow.

Yesterday I cleaned the filter out on the 29 yesterday. Just pulled the media tray out, placed it in a bucket of tank water, dumped the gunk out of the filter, rinsed out with tank water, placed the media back in, and got it back running on the tank. Ended up doing about a 15% pwc so I could use the tank water for the media.

This evening I will install the new Nicrew led light and Versatop on my 10 gallon. Might make up some root tabs to use and transfer some trimmings from the 29 to the 10. All I need on my 10 is the heater and filter. Still up in the air on them.

Glad to hear things turned out alright so far!!!

Thank you - It seems my cute fish - staring at me to feed her in the SW nano is still doing fine and that it seems most things are fine. My Rock Flower Anemone move farther away from the light again and I am concerned, but it has done this before and then eventually moved back closer. I do not see two Anemone shrimp, but in the past they also have hidden well and later been seen.

Fed all.

Found a 6.6G Edge tank- Glass only looks like this one but clean though I would say good condition has a big scratch across the back and just a couple small ones shouldn't be a big deal - no filter, the pic is a previous one I used as a project, just as a point of reference.
At the Goodwill for $6
60074-albums14118-picture67421.jpg

A couple ideas are to do an Iwagami inspired layout - I have previously purchased about 7-8 Seiryu on visits to a couple different places. Might also de-rim it by taking the top off with a razor blade. Had one previously someone else de-rimmed but it got broken.

Still have my new substrate I got from the Aquatic Gardeners Assoc. Convention, (and give a report on how much ammonia it produces.)

Still have 2 healthy Tissue Cultured tent bags of DHG. Plus the one I am growing in the starbucks cup with the lid on it is growing like mad after a kinda slow start. One blade at the side looks 5 inches long!

Btw, the one dwarf baby tears in the vase died after getting submerged and didn't probably get enough light. DBT also died out except one thin strand in the potted plant container.

This brings me to the search for a long sofa style table which the one I wanted was gone. Found a different one I like, but it is pretty far away like one hour each way. Will scour around for a different option.

The importance of it is the space I need for all these smallish projects to have a solid spot with some good lighting over top. Right now they are sitting at a glass door under a deck so they don't get as much light as they would be needing.

Have been too busy to make any progress on finding homes for the extra fish to this point.

Angel babies are hanging off a leaf in a little cluster and some are dropping off and swimming. I will see how they are in the morning.

Last edited:
Autumnsky $6 is a steal! Great find. Our Costco has gotten all of their furniture for fall in and some of the consoles are pretty darn nice.

Today I did my canister clean on the Nursery. Not too bad! Spotted the one shrimp lurking. So he's survived a day.

Delivered 43 snails to a LFS, they bought us a really nice lunch at Bettes Oceanview Diner(the best).

It was time to tear down Red's 30l Biorb (2x a year) and clean the undergravel sponges and rinse the substrate. It's still clearing up but a feel it's better off for the effort.

IMG_0916.jpg
IMG_0917.jpg

I did a 60% water change and rescaped my tank with new silk plants! While I love planted tanks, I'm only doing floating plants until I can upgrade my lights. In the meantime, there are plenty of hiding places for my amano shrimp, guppies, and rams.

Silk plants are very nice! Perfect for bettas if you can't find what you want in live plants.

Autumnsky $6 is a steal! Great find. Our Costco has gotten all of their furniture for fall in and some of the consoles are pretty darn nice.

Today I did my canister clean on the Nursery. Not too bad! Spotted the one shrimp lurking. So he's survived a day.

Delivered 43 snails to a LFS, they bought us a really nice lunch at Bettes Oceanview Diner(the best).

It was time to tear down Red's 30l Biorb (2x a year) and clean the undergravel sponges and rinse the substrate. It's still clearing up but a feel it's better off for the effort.

View attachment 301537
View attachment 301538

That is great news to be able to sell off some products of your (and the snails) hard work :)

Darn that good deal wasn't a Biorb!!! I looked all over the store for the other pieces of the tank too bad maybe go back and look if I have enough time - and ask if they have anything like the parts that go with it. Didn't think of that while I was there!!! :( It's kinda far to go though.

Still dreaming of the below find at the thrift store /yard sale I missed out on that one day lol
biorb :: biOrb LIFE 45

Thinking of selling off my little pond in consideration of maybe getting a better one later. Prime summer time expansion opportunity for someone else maybe.

It has all kinds of water wisteria and the fish are hidden under a vibrant green blanket of Duckweed. DD & DH thinks it looks like a swamp:facepalm: no matter trying to offer an explanation of the green color is not pond /swamp algae but plants.

Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom