Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #6021
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Krissycakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Posts: 1,043
Turned on the lights. Fed everyone and watched the girls as they are getting used to their tank mates. No more aggression! Everyone is happy and well occupied! Shipped out some snails and duckweed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Krissycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #6022
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,428
50% water change. Dropped some lettuce in, after taking a couple bites for myself. Tested PH and nitrates. Watched the fish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
enrgizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #6023
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
IShallNtEatFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 467
Got some neon tetras for the 30 in the living room( will be in QT for the next month) a few plants (some for the 10 gallon betta tank and some for the 30) as well as some filter media to replace the stuff I took out to kick start the cycle in the betta and the QT tanks.


And tried to convince to parents to let me rescue 9 goldfish in a 10 gal off Craigslist... If I get them they will go in the pond outside in the spring
__________________
IShallNtEatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #6024
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShallNtEatFish View Post
Got some neon tetras for the 30 in the living room( will be in QT for the next month) a few plants (some for the 10 gallon betta tank and some for the 30) as well as some filter media to replace the stuff I took out to kick start the cycle in the betta and the QT tanks.

And tried to convince to parents to let me rescue 9 goldfish in a 10 gal off Craigslist... If I get them they will go in the pond outside in the spring
Dont put gold fish in a local pond, they can spread pathogen and parasites to the local fish and kill them. Like the american chesnut tree blight.
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #6025
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
IShallNtEatFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 467
What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

It's my personal pond.... It was built as a water tank for a large ranch, my dad bought it As a swimming pool when I was a toddler but I never took to swimming, then my brother wanted to make a fish pond out of it.


It's about 1000 gallons.
__________________
IShallNtEatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #6026
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShallNtEatFish View Post
It's my personal pond.... It was built as a water tank for a large ranch, my dad bought it As a swimming pool when I was a toddler but I never took to swimming, then my brother wanted to make a fish pond out of it.

It's about 1000 gallons.
Wow, cool.
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #6027
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ashleynicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4 View Post
Hi you can collect plenty of decor for free,just look around any local woodlands and find some suitable branches,just make sure its not rotten{a good squeeze will show if its rotten or not if it 'crumbles' or feels soft leave it alone}Sorry I have forgotten which trees are fish safe,but thin Oak and Silver birch are OK? But i would check on here first! Also rocks and pebbles are easy to find,almost anywhere,just give a dam good clean and rinse and then give the 'vinegar' treatment{just pour some on and see if it reacts,if it does leave well alone!}This is the joy of bigger tanks as the local shop simply do not usually have big enough decor!
I live in central Florida and just about everything around here is limestone and the woods are all pine and oak and not the kind of oak you want in a fish tank trust me. I know how to test things and I know what I want in the tank I just have had other expenses that take priority

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
ashleynicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #6028
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole View Post
I live in central Florida and just about everything around here is limestone and the woods are all pine and oak and not the kind of oak you want in a fish tank trust me. I know how to test things and I know what I want in the tank I just have had other expenses that take priority

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I found an old root stump from a dead young cherry tree. Someone dumped landscaping waste (grass clippings, twigs, small branches, etc.) off the road by the creek. I was on a hunt for anything interesting and after three hikes on three different days next to different rivers and creeks, found nothing useful but that! Someone else's trash,

So keep your eyes open for some other interesting options, even contacting some landscapers who pull out young trees and replace them, you never know, LOL. Even home depots will take back dead trees, you could always keep your eyes open there too, just clean it really well. Since I didn't know of its origins, just soaked for a very long time and changed the water frequently, and scrubbed it very well several times.

It is the stumpy, spiky piece in between the outer two smoother pieces, at the center. Free & cool!
__________________

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #6029
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

I found an old root stump from a dead young cherry tree. Someone dumped landscaping waste (grass clippings, twigs, small branches, etc.) off the road by the creek. I was on a hunt for anything interesting and after three hikes on three different days next to different rivers and creeks, found nothing useful but that! Someone else's trash,

So keep your eyes open for some other interesting options, even contacting some landscapers who pull out young trees and replace them, you never know, LOL. Even home depots will take back dead trees, you could always keep your eyes open there too, just clean it really well. Since I didn't know of its origins, just soaked for a very long time and changed the water frequently, and scrubbed it very well several times.

It is the stumpy, spiky piece in between the outer two smoother pieces, at the center. Free & cool!
Looks great! Really natural
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #6030
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ashleynicole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,787
Ive tried putting found driftwood in my tanks and it was never good. I stick to only mopani and Malaysian.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
ashleynicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.