Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #6021
Aquarium Advice Addict

Turned on the lights. Fed everyone and watched the girls as they are getting used to their tank mates. No more aggression! Everyone is happy and well occupied! Shipped out some snails and duckweed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #6022
Aquarium Advice Addict

50% water change. Dropped some lettuce in, after taking a couple bites for myself. Tested PH and nitrates. Watched the fish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #6023
Aquarium Advice Freak

Got some neon tetras for the 30 in the living room( will be in QT for the next month) a few plants (some for the 10 gallon betta tank and some for the 30) as well as some filter media to replace the stuff I took out to kick start the cycle in the betta and the QT tanks.

And tried to convince to parents to let me rescue 9 goldfish in a 10 gal off Craigslist... If I get them they will go in the pond outside in the spring
Old 02-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #6024

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShallNtEatFish View Post
Got some neon tetras for the 30 in the living room( will be in QT for the next month) a few plants (some for the 10 gallon betta tank and some for the 30) as well as some filter media to replace the stuff I took out to kick start the cycle in the betta and the QT tanks.

And tried to convince to parents to let me rescue 9 goldfish in a 10 gal off Craigslist... If I get them they will go in the pond outside in the spring
Dont put gold fish in a local pond, they can spread pathogen and parasites to the local fish and kill them. Like the american chesnut tree blight.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #6025
Aquarium Advice Freak

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

It's my personal pond.... It was built as a water tank for a large ranch, my dad bought it As a swimming pool when I was a toddler but I never took to swimming, then my brother wanted to make a fish pond out of it.

It's about 1000 gallons.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #6026

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShallNtEatFish View Post
It's my personal pond.... It was built as a water tank for a large ranch, my dad bought it As a swimming pool when I was a toddler but I never took to swimming, then my brother wanted to make a fish pond out of it.

It's about 1000 gallons.
Wow, cool.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #6027
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4 View Post
Hi you can collect plenty of decor for free,just look around any local woodlands and find some suitable branches,just make sure its not rotten{a good squeeze will show if its rotten or not if it 'crumbles' or feels soft leave it alone}Sorry I have forgotten which trees are fish safe,but thin Oak and Silver birch are OK? But i would check on here first! Also rocks and pebbles are easy to find,almost anywhere,just give a dam good clean and rinse and then give the 'vinegar' treatment{just pour some on and see if it reacts,if it does leave well alone!}This is the joy of bigger tanks as the local shop simply do not usually have big enough decor!
I live in central Florida and just about everything around here is limestone and the woods are all pine and oak and not the kind of oak you want in a fish tank trust me. I know how to test things and I know what I want in the tank I just have had other expenses that take priority

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #6028
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole View Post
I live in central Florida and just about everything around here is limestone and the woods are all pine and oak and not the kind of oak you want in a fish tank trust me. I know how to test things and I know what I want in the tank I just have had other expenses that take priority

I found an old root stump from a dead young cherry tree. Someone dumped landscaping waste (grass clippings, twigs, small branches, etc.) off the road by the creek. I was on a hunt for anything interesting and after three hikes on three different days next to different rivers and creeks, found nothing useful but that! Someone else's trash,

So keep your eyes open for some other interesting options, even contacting some landscapers who pull out young trees and replace them, you never know, LOL. Even home depots will take back dead trees, you could always keep your eyes open there too, just clean it really well. Since I didn't know of its origins, just soaked for a very long time and changed the water frequently, and scrubbed it very well several times.

It is the stumpy, spiky piece in between the outer two smoother pieces, at the center. Free & cool!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #6029
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post

I found an old root stump from a dead young cherry tree. Someone dumped landscaping waste (grass clippings, twigs, small branches, etc.) off the road by the creek. I was on a hunt for anything interesting and after three hikes on three different days next to different rivers and creeks, found nothing useful but that! Someone else's trash,

So keep your eyes open for some other interesting options, even contacting some landscapers who pull out young trees and replace them, you never know, LOL. Even home depots will take back dead trees, you could always keep your eyes open there too, just clean it really well. Since I didn't know of its origins, just soaked for a very long time and changed the water frequently, and scrubbed it very well several times.

It is the stumpy, spiky piece in between the outer two smoother pieces, at the center. Free & cool!
Looks great! Really natural

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #6030
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ive tried putting found driftwood in my tanks and it was never good. I stick to only mopani and Malaysian.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com