What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seller pic best looking one

60074-albums14700-picture71437.jpg

60074-albums14700-picture71438.jpg
Very nice, Autmnsky!

Hehehehe..... Shhhhh!

Okay, got a minute while I get the water to clear on the 12G Edge.

Tested the ammonia after putting in the rest of the water minus a couple gallons for adding rocks and plants - and it was maybe 5. It was pretty much pure yellow though. I will run through the filter to clear up and check again in another hour. It has been half hour and I'd say maybe 50% better - from browwnish tinted cloudy to white grey cloudy in half hour.

Decided to TRY to capture the Appx 13-15 Chili Rasboras in the TT 6.6G Edge with taking out a few stones and DW. Maybe just leave the rest unless I can't get them. I wanted to change the substrate anyway to the one which I just removed from the 12G Edge. It is tiny hard like ceramic fired 1mm balls. Which is awesome and I love it.

Still have a jug of Substrate to use somewhere in a planted tank from the AGA convention, the freebie I got. Samuri Soil by CaribSea. Looks similar to the ceramic fired balls. Not today though.

Last few days I had problems and the filter got unplugged in the 29G Angel Breeder, it seems I have lost all the babies. Still had a bubbler so I didn't notice but it messed up water quality not running through the filter. That was disappointing.

Last night when I got home it looked like my plastic mesh screen /prefilter got clogged from the Duck Weed and had slowed the flow down to a trickle. It swirls around when I add water for evap.

Also of note I found 3 more Endler Fry in the 12G when I emptied it.

I think I am sick of Duck Weed, I have the pond and buckets and tanks full of it now.

Emptied 6.6G Edge, just waiting for water to clear some more to see if there are any Thai Crabs, TT shrimp or nice snails left in the bottom.

I am still looking for one more Anchor Cat. I caught one for sure but the other one could have been holdng on to the DW and Suswassertang Moss mass. I saw the Thai Crabs holding on. They have very stickery feet, remind me of the way a grass hopper can hold on (I like Thai Crabs, hate grasshoppers).

Do the fish eat your duck weed? Mine didn't like much flow and then the fish ate it (was so looking forward to getting overrun with great growth and it lasted all of several weeks).

Do the fish eat your duck weed? Mine didn't like much flow and then the fish ate it (was so looking forward to getting overrun with great growth and it lasted all of several weeks).

I had some serious plant eating fish, 4 Angels for sure ate all kinds of plants but this last batch of Angels maybe not.

Evidently not enough fish eating them now!

I probably could fill a gallon size ziplock not sure what that would be where you live Delapool, but maybe 3 liters, and I have been throwing it into the grass to dry out by the hand full as well.

#########################

Progress so far on the tanks is

A quick scape in the 12G, added all the 16 Chili Rasboras.

The first one I caught jumped up and out of the net and landed and flopped a couple times, taking my eyes off of it to grab a cup to catch it in, it disappeared.

The trajectory was maybe towards the bucket of plants from the other tank, but couldn't find it - on the floor or stuck to the cabinet or in the bucket after it happened.

Later it was found in the bucket, but then another must have jumped because one was in the intake area of the little filter!!! They are spirtited little guys! Two others jumped between my fingers and the net during the removal process!

Water is now just cloudy again after stirring it up putting in the stones and plants.

Added about 5 Red Ramshorns to the 12G PRL tank.

Rinsed both substrates that originated in the tanks.

One is in a little tote on the porch, it is Eco which is in my main tank, it filled a gallon pitcher mounded on top with all the water poured out. Might just add it in there and give the Clown Loaches some new snails to try and catch.

It is about time to get a cup full of RH from my friend again.

Getting ready to add the original 12G fish into the 6.6G. Had been waiting for it to clear up but isn't really that clear - better, but really cloudy. I might need to get something to clear it tomorrow if it isn't better. Neither of those filters have Purigen.

Have a terrible head cold been fighting all weekend and taking many more breaks than usual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh yeah did the extra ammonia test about an hour ago on the PRL completely 0 not even a hint of anything just sunny yellow. :)

I'm tired.

Finishing up those few things and doing a pwc on the PRL shrimp in the bucket. Gonna end up with too many plants left over and still have a tub of plants next to the pond from the AGA convention I didn't get to yet as it has taken so long to get this swapping tanks done.

I think that is enough for one day. Hahaha!

While scooping up some plants out of the tanks for a fellow Coloradoan, I found that my 5G Betta Spec V was in hot water literally!

The Ehieim heater which has been doing a great job for a long while, either got bumped or was headed for a melt down. It was nearing hot tub temp, extra warm on my hand. I lowered the temp on the dial which did seem higher than it should have been, moved it to the hottest part and the light never went off.

Will do a test on it later but removed it from the tank and will test it out later. It has a indentation which I use a coin for to change the temp and not likely it was accidently bumped. No one else would have messed with it so I am wondering if it is at it's end of life.

More misc. cleaning, pwc and moving things and fish around later today. Have about 10 -12 neons to move from their bucket to QT tank too.

I added a half gallon cooler water for the Betta and will allow it to cool naturally to room temp - since it is pretty warm here right now I will look for a different heater for the tank later.

But boy oh boy am I glad I was grabbing plants and scooping off duck weed right now!!! I am afraid it would have been curtains for the Betta.

Also fed the all the fish Spirulina Brine Shrimp. One of the PRL grabbed one and ran off around the corner of the drift wood chunk with it.

Long weekend means extra time to play with tanks! Cleaned the 29g Khuli tank and the 20l nursery, PWC, prefilter sponges rinsed and canisters cleaned out. Removed the old purigen and added new. Added a few root tabs in the 29 as well. Hiding inside since it's 105 outside. God bless AC!

Great catch on that heater Autumnsky. I've heard more than a few horror stories about cooked fish.

It's supposed to be 108 at 5PM.

Tomorrow is testing day. I get the test gear out and test all the tanks. Just in case something is going on I'm not seeing. I will be testing the nursery and if it's all good introducing 1 male shrimp They are doing ok in my main tank but very few of the babies are surviving because the fish find them so tasty.

The Ehieim heater which has been doing a great job for a long while, either got bumped or was headed for a melt down.

Is that the more recent Eheim Jager with the calibration pointer, or the old green models? I have one of the recent ones, calibrated to 77 and it should *not* have come on, but it just did with my tank in the 80s thanks to this heat wave. If I hadn't been home, things might have gotten really hot for my fish. :eek:

I've read of other problems with these and am coming to distrust them. :mad:

We're at my parents' house for the weekend and it's making me CRAZY being away from the tanks. I'm terrified of coming home to a graveyard. We've had an issue with the bubble counter fluid going through the check valve, down into the splitter, and then back up into the lower bubble counter. Between that and Vanilla knocking the drop checker down enough times that I'm out of fluid, I'm really worried about there being too much CO2. But we've got the rotala forest that the fish can retreat to, so that's something. And the pressure actually is pretty low, but ....worrying is my special skill. I love my fish and snails.

Well I started the process of killing off the red algae in my tank. So far corals have closed up from the red algae dying. But hopefully no serious damage will be done to them. Tomorrow I do the 20% water change the instructions tell me to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I started the process of killing off the red algae in my tank. So far corals have closed up from the red algae dying. But hopefully no serious damage will be done to them. Tomorrow I do the 20% water change the instructions tell me to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good luck hope it goes as it should.

Got my shrimp bowl substrate changed to Eco which had been in my other tank. Rinsed the moss, subwassertang, and plants.

Found a sad crystal shrimp in a cup of ignored moss and plants I took out of the tanks last week. He is in the clean shrimp bowl. The neglected cup of leftover misc plants were getting yuky since they weren't near any light.

I think it jumped into the cup while doing the transfer as I didn't have any other Crystal shrimp in that area. Poor little guy.

At least I found him today I doubt he'd have lasted another week because it was sitting off to the side.

Found a new home for some excess plants.

Continuing the cleaning and pwc.

Last edited:
I became a new home for some of Autumn's plants. And a couple of lovely shrimp from her as well. Since I was in the area I also stopped at a fish store with a much larger selection than I can get locally and picked up a group of some more RCS that looked decent to go with the first two and a group of Rummynose tetras for my main tank. So far the critters are all doing ok, but the plants will have to wait for tomorrow :)

Trimmed and did a little replanting and rearranging today in my 29g.
Also the molly fry are getting bigger (about 3 weeks now) and loving their plants in their tank.

Attachments

• 20170903_215433.jpg
    20170903_215433.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170903_195109-1.jpg
    20170903_195109-1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom