What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just a FYI each cube covers 20g every 2 weeks there slow release I've been told use 5 in the 90g the extra 1/2 covers the water changes .
talk about water change did a 10g change today
raised water level in sump during water change let a bunch of feeder shrimp over the divider , fish had feeding frenzy once sump kicked back in ,

Need a few cubes!

My computer's fan went out so until I get a different computer, I can only respond in say - 5 min. visits here so it doesn't have a melt down!

Cleaned out the pond and found maybe 10-12 Rosy Minnows aka feeder fish, they are really pretty fish - which I thought there was just one golden and maybe one brown one left. Really surprised. also surprised that I had about 15 or more bright red RH snails, they shown like rubies in the pond muck! They were really rounded shaped and looked pretty darn healthy.

Such a Cheap Hobby

Yesterday, I set up a 38 gallon tank and stand, with pea-sized gravel, 20 Comets and added two dual sponge filters from another tank and two air pumps to run them. Used a two bulb fixture with 32 watt, T8 bulbs from the local hardware store for lighting. The whole setup came to a little over $150.00.

Tank keeping can be such a cheap hobby.

B

I think they also make a freshwater version for those planted tanks
so far I'm liking the improvement there doing for my reef

Last edited:
Bought a big bag of stuff from the lfs.

Including 2 new 2.5 inch Spotted Raphael Catfish! Since they are really small they went into the 5G for a few months.

Light I have over the 12G SW is too strong and is washing out the corals.

Bought a 50/50 9W bulb and hope that will help the corals color back up.

Hoping to do some pwc tomorrow.

Cleaned out the 12G filter yesterday, got a new prefilter sponge for the 6.6G the other is pretty clogged/getting soggy.

Changed the lighting schedule on my Planted tank. Was using the Finnex 24/7 in 24/7 mode but was concerned about the algae issues (though I enjoy the subtle hues in the evenings and mornings). Changed the mode to MAX and set a timer for 8 hours. I still have the Finnex Planted+ but use it only for the moonlight effect. I hate it. I might use a simple nightlight instead. Plants are pearling like crazy. Will be monitoring algae growth with this setup.

After doing a little more reading about lighting spectrum and the needs of the corals realized I have a bad choice for corals, not too bad for the Chaeto but not ideal for the corals. Since my other light broke I ordered 2 38PAR light bulbs but they won't be here for weeks! Since I haven't decided to use the bigger tank I need to just get a light which will take care of the corals.

Probably will get another 50/50 compact for the time being.

One of the issues with the "quality" light is that it seems like it doesn't have that many LED's for the price!!! Thinking it over still!

Moved the Rosy Red Minnows back into the little pond and intend to add the heater as we're having a snow storm tomorrow.

guess I just got lucky just ordered a special ornament as I do every year . I was searching and searching but couldn't find anything I liked or they were out of stock . than this one popped up the very last one , how could I not jump at it my wife fell in love with it as soon as I showed her the pict.
79-80256_clown_fish_santa_hat.jpg

I'm seriously in love with these frogs, they are so freaking adorable and goofy.

The dwarf puffer are neat too, but the sibling rivalry between the two is awful lol. The one will drop food just to chase the other because they have food ?

guess I just got lucky just ordered a special ornament as I do every year . I was searching and searching but couldn't find anything I liked or they were out of stock . than this one popped up the very last one , how could I not jump at it my wife fell in love with it as soon as I showed her the pict.
79-80256_clown_fish_santa_hat.jpg

Very cute.

Water changes bright and early this morning! We got a battery backup for the filters so power blips won't make them lose prime. That reassures me while we leave for the weekend. We'll be back Sunday. I'm so not good at leaving the fish alone!

Back
Top Bottom