Originally Posted by Ndefil
What's everyone use as their freshwater community food?
A variety is good for them. I feed twice daily most days, when i add fruit or veg i sometimes do a third feed in a day.
Everyday i do a mixture of
- Flakes (have about 6 brands of varying quality i switch between till i can completely replace with better brands)
- Pellets (I have 2 types a low quality brand and new life spectrum in fry and community fish sizes)
- Algae wafers. These are not very popular and mostly feed the snails (nutrafin brand)
- Fresh salad grown with my WC
water specifically for my fish.
- Frozen pea defrosted and mashed up
And for a treat i feed each of these once weekly. Pure meat makes them go nuts.
- Frozen bloodworm
- Freeze dried blackworm (nutrafin brand)
- Frozen brine shrimp (not opened yet will try them out today as an additive to the diet)
I usually feed their meat treat about every three to four days followed by peas the next feed to ensure it digests well. Rough breakdown of exact feeds
14 feeds/week (give or take a few as i do try to fast them once a week and do extra feeds when no algae is there as a supplement for the plecos)
2-3 x meat (bloodworm, blackworm or brine shrimp)
2-3 x peas
7 x flake and pellets (bottom feeders get the bulk of the pellets)
3 x Fresh salad or fruit