What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved the strips too, and they worked great and were checked periodically to see if they were still accurate. That was fine until I lost nearly a tank of fish due to some rotting plants, and after pwc and scooping the dead dying plants out after they melted, test strip said it was fine and I thought the filter had been doing a good job. bUt the test strips had one bad test square and it didn't register the toxic water and for that day and the next went about my workdays and the return home found a tank of almost all fish dead. New very expensive Vampire shrimp and, granted I had very much less experience than I do now with inverts, but after checking the tank with the strip I felt it had to be wrong and with the actual liquid test the toxic amount was off the chart.

Therefore as much as I want to I can never use them in good conscience for my tanks as an actual gauge of water quality. Just my 2 cents. And the test strips were newer, and always opened and immediately (literally after each strip was removed, not after testing all tanks) sealed back tightly to prevent moisture and keep light out.

Speaking of problems...

After seemingly okay transition, found the angelfish with a cloudy eye today. Will be doing tests with liquid test kit ;)

She 3 SW tanks I had been considering sold. Found 2 additional possibilities. Neighbor was selling a 15 or 20L for $5. Thinking of maybe going over and get it. LOL, only half kidding.

Planning on getting to 1 FX-5 clean out tomorrow if there isn't chlorine stinky water.

Putting in a new online food order tomorrow too.

The moon must have been aligned in some special way with the stars the day before, as the pond fish actually came up to eat and were just swimming around like normal pond fish and not hiding (hardly at all, at least most of them were somewhat sociable).

AA...

The "No Water Change" tanks are doing extremely well. I tested the water with the "Tetra" strips. Very accurate and so easy to use. Anyway, the tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite and the nitrate readings were at 20 ppm. The Chinese evergreens are so much better at removing forms of nitrogen than those plants with the tiny root systems.

B

PWC all the way around today. Got a new Funko you guys might appreciate.

Tamatoa IMG_3713.jpg

But he needed more “shiny” so I touched him up. IMG_3716.jpg

Almost looks like a animated version of the cotton candy lobster.

Added some trace minerals to the SW tanks.

Been shopping looking for the SW tank. Have one possibility for a used one. I recently saw that Colorado Springs has a company (2 hour drive each way) for low iron glass tanks for a little bit of a reasonable cost. Since the shipping would not be an issue, I am going to price out what I would like and see if it is better or not.

Considering trying to make a light bar from parts for the 2 PAR 38 bulbs I got 6 months ago. I am using them on different tanks and in goose neck lights atm. Annoyingly, one is black and one is silver. They didn't have 2 the same color in stock!!!

Added some calcium to the 72G and also Replenish. Still showing 6 pH which could be less. The Swordtails started swimming around more after that.

The water smelled strongly of chemicals this morning when I has decided to do a filter clean but do not want to chance it. Refilled the 72G with RO, why I checked and added the minerals and calcium.

Picked out a bunch of Cladophora from the Pinto Anubias floating around in the Guppies wine Glass tank. I hate that light I can not recommend the National Geographic nano tank clip on light. It will not turn on when I try to get it to. It will go to moon lights them sometimes it will turn on and stay on like it should. Mostly it turns off after 5 seconds. Came with the wine glass I won. Needs a replacement.

Added Epsom salts and Pimafix to the sick Angelfish tank. And I feel so bad for the angel fish. The 2 Raphael Cats, old one and youngster, seem okay.

Can't remember if I had mentioned, did get the RO water only 2 5G jugs because they were mine. BUT all the lfs in a 40 mile radius were out of plastic 5G water totes. WHAT!!!??? One was closed when I called.

Did a big clean on the 6.6G SW nano and removed some Cyano from the glass and contaminated bits of algae and Chaeto. Today realized I missed a big spot on the back glass - dang.

Added RO to tanks for evap.

Big storm filled up the pond this week so I didn't need to.

Took a good long look at my feelings on my tanks, our living situation in an apartment and other considerations and I think I'm stepping back from the hobby for the most part. Going to get rid of the entire 30g setup including my bn from the beginning of me keeping tanks. Keeping the 10g dwarf puffer atm and see where it goes. What I want to keep is goldfish, and can't keep a tank big enough for them here, and it won't be possible for at least another year or two. Keeping the main tank has become an awful chore instead of a even remotely fun, and it's time to recognize it. Still be around here though lol.

Took a good long look at my feelings on my tanks, our living situation in an apartment and other considerations and I think I'm stepping back from the hobby for the most part. Going to get rid of the entire 30g setup including my bn from the beginning of me keeping tanks. Keeping the 10g dwarf puffer atm and see where it goes. What I want to keep is goldfish, and can't keep a tank big enough for them here, and it won't be possible for at least another year or two. Keeping the main tank has become an awful chore instead of a even remotely fun, and it's time to recognize it. Still be around here though lol.

Aw.

Understand the chore part though.

Maybe a 15-20G Tall tank in the same foot print as the 10 and keep the BN.

I love the GF too and would love to have them again but I can't deal with another large tank - time or effort (why my 90G isn't in the house right now with the fancy GF or as a big reef tank.)

Last night I got 2 active Green Chromis, small ones, they only had 2 and I am planning the upgrade on the SW within the next month. And at least 3 more in the bigger tank. They ate 2 pinches of food today. Are pretty shy when I want to get close to look at them, were swimming around all over with the blue lights on. Didn't care for the bright lights though.

Shopped for tanks again. Sent an Email to Hagen Fluval about the Edge 3 tank if they ever plan to release it or not. I am guessing not. Nearly 4 years waiting for a "3 month till it comes out" wait time line they gave then. Hahaha HA not!

Also asking if there is a glass replacement for the 12G tank and the cost incl. shipping.

That may help me decide a couple things.

Thinking strongly towards a brand new 12G Fluval Edge in white as my new display tank for the PRL shrimp, I have the perfect stand for it.

Then also looking at a SW new low iron glass tank with a fancy light if I can't find what I want in used pretty darn soon.

Fed the fish cleaned up around the tanks and stands, watched the Chromis swimming like synchronized swimmers around the tank. Shopped some new Goby varieties saw this
Flaming Prawn Goby, Spikefin Goby - Discordipinna griessingeri
Wow what a pretty cool fish.

Shopped some new styles of manmade stone from the SW companies, which are caves, grottos, frag holders and arches primarily. TOO much $$$. And yes, the three dollar signs represent the cost in hundreds of dollars for the really cool stuff. Sheesh! It is like concrete people. Not precious metals!

So lots of checking out products and figuring ideas on costs. Thinking of locations in the house and what I want it to look and feel like. Sort of a mix match "I am working on some projects right now and never finished - just ignore this pile right here" fish room style. Not the comfortable look I think we should have in the living room.

I enjoy reading your posts Toad. I hope you continue participating in the conversation.

Hello...

Just topping off my "No Water Change" tanks. I use through roughly 2 to 3 gallons of distilled water per day. All the tanks are running fine and the fish are thriving in the low nitrate water. The house plants are using the dissolved waste material faster than the bacteria. The bacteria does get a chance to grow at night when the tank lights shut off and the plants rest.

B

Fed the fish and the SW Chromis were out in the bright lights after realizing that I fed them now it seems they are staring at me through the front of the tank for more food gave them 3 rounds of tid bits and the LIKED it.

They seem to have some decent color and their bodies are 2 slightly different shapes so I think I have a male and female. I really like how they change color in the light and as they move around their colors shine differently.

Tried to kill a decent sized Bristle worm but he went back into a hole in the substrate. And grabbed another slightly out of reach of the forceps (just found out I didn't know how to spell that word).

Cleaned a gunk covered small rock in H2O2, maybe Cyano, but out popped 4 Bristleworms. Scary because I looked the rock over and didn't see anything. Could have been an ouchy if I wasn't grabbing it with the forceps.

This is in the 6.6G Edge SW nano tank and it is hard to reach anything in there. Especially with XL tweezers, jagged stones & corals, lol. Last time I broke my nice big beautiful Neon Green Trumpet coral on 2, then total of 3 pieces.

It is so very much time to upgrade the SW situation.

also found that my AC20 had stopped flowing in the shrimp tote. The PRL shrimp looked alright. Got it primed and restarted. Found out there had been a brown out earlier.

Need a new pump and maybe clean it out for now.

Last edited:
First Python use

Finally got around to setting up the new home for my gazillions of platys, so I took the opportunity to give my new Python its first test-run. As you can see from the photo, it went well:

AF1QipPUuxGRaS8DCqXs9G22YJQ7WcCKtX-M1rpT3REm

:cool:

As you can also see, I did a crap job painting the sides and back and need to do a lot of patching and cleanup. :ermm:

But, looks aren't everything: this is a temporary home and grow-out tank until I can give them all to my LFS. (He likes my platys) Then I'll rescape it either as a home for small corys, or may cherry barbs.

Edit: Okay, so the photo in Google Photos won't show up, even though I inserted the URL between IMG tags. (Tried the sharing link earlier, that didn't work.) I've stopped using Flickr. Anyone know a trick to make Google-hosted photos appear?

Edit 2: Added the photo as an attachment. :nono:

Attachments

• Python first use.jpg
    Python first use.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I think he's having dropsy... I've posted all the details in another post but no one seems to know what's wrong

I would start by checking water parameters and doing a water change and then read up on Beta illnesses and see what the book says to do. Sorry I can’t really give any advice.

I've changed the water and the water parameters are all okay. I've done some research and it says that it's almost impossible to cure him at this stage... And the meds I've seen differ from site to site so idk which one is the most effective. The only thing I'm certain is that I can put aquarium salt in there and hope for the best ��

Finally got around to setting up the new home for my gazillions of platys, so I took the opportunity to give my new Python its first test-run. As you can see from the photo, it went well:

AF1QipPUuxGRaS8DCqXs9G22YJQ7WcCKtX-M1rpT3REm

:cool:

As you can also see, I did a crap job painting the sides and back and need to do a lot of patching and cleanup. :ermm:

But, looks aren't everything: this is a temporary home and grow-out tank until I can give them all to my LFS. (He likes my platys) Then I'll rescape it either as a home for small corys, or may cherry barbs.

Edit: Okay, so the photo in Google Photos won't show up, even though I inserted the URL between IMG tags. (Tried the sharing link earlier, that didn't work.) I've stopped using Flickr. Anyone know a trick to make Google-hosted photos appear?

Edit 2: Added the photo as an attachment. :nono:

Pro Tip: When using your new toy to add water to a tank and while thinking you're so clever for using an existing sponge filter filled with beneficial bacteria to get things going...

Be sure to add dechlorinator to the water. :facepalm::banghead::bad-words:

In other words, guess who's doing a fishless cycle, now? :angel:

Pro Tip: When using your new toy to add water to a tank and while thinking you're so clever for using an existing sponge filter filled with beneficial bacteria to get things going...

Be sure to add dechlorinator to the water. :facepalm::banghead::bad-words:

In other words, guess who's doing a fishless cycle, now? :angel:

That sucks. Probably you didn't kill all of the BB, hoping it is just a mini cycle.

Today did a water change/fill on the pond. Guess what I found?!? Other than snails, I found at least 6 baby Rosy Red Minnows, likely there were a few grey tan ones that blended in to the bottom. I am so surprised. A good and fun surprise, much better than the bad surprises!!!

Have been reading about Asterina Stars and have seen video of some variety eating corals. There is heated debate whether it is purely like a mystery snail eating a dying plant leaf...or a voracious coral eating monster in a tiny package shaped like a starfish.

Anyway. Think I mentioned I did SW pwc's yesterday. Also found so much more algae in the tanks and I was concerned. Then today I saw that for a period of time in the evening, due to the location of the sun it was oddly placed between trees and shining 25ish feet into the room directly into the fronts of the tanks, mainly the 12G.

My male Albino Red Swordtails (3) have been fighting with each other the past week or so and I found one of them dead last night.

Checked the water and the pH is low at 6 still, added another dose of calcium, planning to add another this evening as it is still reading low half hour after dosing. Went to the store and got new Epsom Salts as the other one was for soaking with the herbal oils added.

Went online "window" shopping and pricing out more items for the new SW tank build (sometime soon when I find a tank). For livestock/inverts and lighting still looking, there are innumerable options for lights, and color and type of substrate.

The Blue/Green Chromis are little Piggies and seem to be doing well too. Read they are supposed to be fed a couple to several times per day.

Online shopping netted a few items.
Bought new ADA nano tank sized pack of substrate and fert items to start a new shrimp tank for when I decide which one of those I will move the PRL shrimp to.

PRL shrimp seem happy and active for now, planning a pwc tomorrow.

2 separate multi packs of shrimp tank sample size packs, most of them Japan originated plus a bunch of others maybe 16-20 different food samples. Appx 11 were were stated as the ones to be received and then another 6-8 as thank you samples. Most of those are 1G some 3-5G bags. Those in addition to the ones I just bought will keep me in a rotating collection of foods for quite awhile with fewer shrimp now. Still need to email my outlaying area of town friend /hobbyist and get a bunch of leaves too, like Guava, banana Catalpa, nettles, whatever he has in stock and I will be set.

Still getting ready to find an Alder tree and a Mulberry tree and a Ginko to plant this fall, too hot now. Already have Oak.

Look what happens when I have to keep my feet up for an evening!

Hello...

Yesterday, I topped off the water level in all my tanks that don't require a water change and did the weekly water change in those that do. The fish and plants are thriving nicely.

B

Added additional RO water to the tanks for evap.

Managed to get the cleaning of the FX-5 filter done in the 72G.

Filter overflowed again on the SW12G nano.

The 72G has been giving me trouble with the calcium level. I have been checking it and pH is 6 or ??? at lovely yellow from the API test kit. Would have to get a special checker for the exact amount.

Added Epsom Salts and ended up with a few fish breathing fast. That's when I did the filter clean out that was over due. Still trying to figure out how often to clean it, been years of figuring it out.

The tap water presently is .5-1KH
and 4 GH
7.2 pH.

My tank water is 0 KH and high GH. Even after dosing about 5 times with the calcium. That is the part I am not really understanding, how it is still so low. Planning to change back to the Kent Marine Super dKH.

With the pH differences so much between tank and faucet, I am afraid to shock the fish. Will be upping the small pwc. Thinking in the 4G a day maybe range until it more closely matches the tap water again, along with the Calcium.

Added the new whisper 40 air pump to the 72G for the fish.

Anyhow, I double checked my test kit and that is how I found the tap water makes the kH test change no big deal, but the kH is barely there.

Have been feeding the baby fish in the pond - am and pm small amounts.

One of my lights stopped working on the SW nano. The annoying issues just are part of fish keeping RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ugh, never a break really. I want to spend money on a more fun thing and something breaks.

Well I spent money to buy a big box of rocks tonight for my SW tank - 50lbs! From Reef Cleaners a sponsor here. Also need to get some macroalgae soon for the new tank. But when the new rock comes in I will begin livening it up in a plastic tote, getting ready for the new hopefully soon, SW upsized nano build.

AA...

This morning I topped off my "Terraphyte" tanks. I use roughly 2 gallons of distilled water every day to replace water that's lost to evaporation. But, the great thing about this kind of tank is, it never needs a water change, ever.

B

Back
Top Bottom