What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Decided to keep the 30g setup but rehomed the surviving adf and all guppies but two or three fry I couldn't catch. Kept the bn and put the dwarf puffer in the 30g. Will trying running a lightly stocked tank and see how I feel from there.

New tank underway

Finally got the new 20-long in operation: cycle done (blessed be Dr. Tim's), first batch of platys transferred. They're currently exploring their new home, not sure something isn't about to eat them. The goal is to gradually move all the platys to this tank, take the adults to a LFS , grow out the juveniles and then take them, and then get out of livebearer ranching.

The water was very different between the two tanks, so I drip acclimated them for about 90 minutes. We'll see how well they do.

Here are a couple of photos of the process:

Attachments

• New tank and dripline.jpg
    New tank and dripline.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Platys waiting in a bucket.jpg
    Platys waiting in a bucket.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 50
Love the pics Barliman. I remember being a Platy (Green Lantern- looked blue to me) rancher - exhausting at times!

Set up a mock up in a 30x30 inch cardboard box of the SW stones.

Didn't really have much time to play around with them maybe next weekend.

Looks like I found a new home for the 90G bowfront tank and water damaged stand for a turtle home. A great upgrade sized tank for that. Hoping it leaves my back yard this week.

Will be a small amount of money towards the tank upgrades. Have to clean out some of the swamp water, so it can go into the vehicle.

Worked on emptying about 5 - 30 ounce cups of miscellaneous moss, stuff from previous tank clean outs and who knows what.

Cleaning up the area around the pond. Added a mini pump in the pond. Removed 3 cords from items still laying in there but broken and not removed. Moved all the cords around the rear and just overall made it look better. Can't recall if I mentioned it already but filled up the pond, careful not to overflow it with the babies.

The 2 male Guppies I added look good and fairly happy.

Still shopping for a few options of used tanks and possibly a new one or 2, and upgrading, not adding though could be a transition time. Almost ready for a couple more changes.

Comet and Goldfish Tanks

Hello again...

Completed the weekly water changes on my tanks. Rescued 20 feeders from the local pet store a few months ago and the fish have really responded to a good diet and pure water conditions. They're growing nicely.

The "Terraphyte" tank plants have nearly outgrown their tanks and the tanks aren't small. Trimming the plants to stimulate new growth is about all the maintenance that's needed. The tanks do take a couple of gallons a day of distilled water to top off what's lost to evaporation. The fish in them are doing well too. Tanks are much easier to manage without the water changes.

B

Can a newbie post here? I checked on my guppy fry, I'm keeping an eye on the one I'm probably going to have to cull (spine looks bent). I replanted the vals in my goldfish tank. Silly goldfish, quit uprooting your vals! This time with home made plastic discs as plant anchors. I'm hoping they'll work! I also fed them this morning. Removed last nites carrots (oddly enough the goldfish didn't eat them this time, but the broccoli & cauliflower were gone). Left the carrots in the snail/guppy tank as the snails were still all over them!

Did a 50% water change on the new 20-long today (aka, the Platy Nursery) and used my Python for the first time for a real water change, not just filling a tank. It worked great. I fed the drain line to an outside planter box, and the refill was smooth as silk. A little slow because of the mediocre water pressure from my tap, but still much better than buckets. And not a spilled drop anywhere. I think I'm a convert. :dance:

How much dechlorinator do you typically add when refilling? I used two cap-fulls, way overkill, but adding straight from the tap made me a bit nervous. :hide: Fish seem fine, though. (y)

My LED floodlights came in today, and I finally had time to put in the dirt, and black sand.

I've got to build a mount for the lights. I'll be getting more plants soon. 20180722_190942.jpg

Of course you are welcome here fredi98. If there weren't new posters in this really old (but my favorite) thread, it would have been long dead.

Did a water add for evap on the pond. Did remove about 10 gallons of water but was too worried about the fry. Maybe next week will do a pwc. Checking each bucket for babies. Did pwc on the SW nanos.

Add RO water everywhere - already 2x this week for evap.

Added 6 Congo Tetras to the QT, but 4 died overnight and prompted a complete water change in the 46G tank and a rinse out of the FX-5. Including the intake and out flow tubes this time, but the muck from somewhere still caused the water to cloud when I turned it back on. Grrrrr.

Need to do a couple water changes in the 72G. The nitrates are creeping up too.

Otherwise I am caught up on water changes, as got the wine glass and the Spec V a couple days ago. Also cleaned out the very mucky sponge filter in the wine glass a couple days ago.
Just did another in the Spec V and Wine Glass

72G
Did 2 - ~1/3rd pwc actually did the drain from the FX-5 then just kept filling it as it drained. The Nitrates were 30ish.
Found the recently molted Bamboo shrimp being eaten near the Clown Loach hang out, DW cave. Not exactly pointing any fingers, but he looked perfectly well yesterday, fanning away.

Probably not gonna get anymore of those now either. :( :( :(

Cleaned out the intake of the 110 Fluval AquaClear on the 72G also and added a little prefilter sponge I have for the Edge. Flow improved dramatically as it was nearly plugged fro debris.

Gave someone I met a starter of what would be needed for a planted bowl and one each Grey/black, Red and Blue RH snails with some food and Prime after he admired my fish and asked lots of questions and said thinking of keeping fish /commented how cool my 2G Planted container was.

Told him it was a start for the addiction of fish keeping and if he liked the snails he might want to put in the work for a fish tank, and suggested to get some moss balls for the fun factor.

Been mulling over what I would like to be keeping in the next year, and in which tanks.

Each week at least once or twice on CL I am searching for a deal.

Not too much in the way of local offerings which I have been looking for quite awhile.

Got 3 more juvenile male Guppies for the pond for now went into the planted jar, letting them eat some mosquito larvae and and then will put them into the pond if they don't die in the next week.

Dumped out one jar which was just misc plants into pond for the fish to eat and took out the plants and put them in another jar.

These are outside right now for the summer and misc plants from tank clean outs or what ever. There are about 4 now. Only one is beautiful looking which used to be the turtle bowl container that broke. The others are basically masses of plants in big vases, a big brandy snifter, and cylinder vase containers. Mostly mosses, Subwassertang, Riccia, Java Fern, Dwarf Water Lettuce, and some DHG.

Checked the SW nanos and adjusted their water for evap and added some SW to the 12G, washed out its prefilter sponge and moved a rock that used to have mushrooms. They seemed to get poorly and die off after the sunlight coming through the window daily and hitting them recently.

Thinking of actually hitting the purchase button on the white 12G Fluval Edge tank - maybe, tomorrow or Monday.

My son is moving and starting a new job. He won’t be settled until the end of August. I’m baby sitting his Orb for a month. Cleaned it up and put I’gors plants in it. And put my sons plants in I’gors tank. They’re covered in ramshorn eggs. Removed every snail from his tank I could find. He’s been over feeding and had a snailsplosion. IMG_4062.jpg

Hahahaha!!!

Nice work there.
~~~~
The Guppies are looking pretty good 2 look best 1 looks a little eh, like the transition was a little much. So we will see what happens.

Gonna do a pwc on the jar maybe add an air bubbler, right now it doesn't have one because it is under a deck on a side cafe table, but I could move it to the other side of the doorway where there is a plug next to it and likely a bubbler would - hopefully perk things up.

Been watching the Clown Loach medium one and small one. This afternoon the small one was sleeping sideways next to the glass, belly side towards me and I freaked a little at first, then I saw it breathing and he woke up and swam around.

Bigger/older one, maybe a female has started sitting on a flat stone in the center of the tank more often looking to see when I am gonna feed them I think. They are cute, follow each other around as they swim in the tank.

Hoping to get 3-4 more. I had hoped to just adopt a few from people who have them getting too big, but so far haven't caught any of the deals at the exact right time yet, often they go with a tank or are going with all the fish in the tank which I don't need. At the fish stores they have been so tiny, about 1.5-2 inches long and still 8.99-11.99!!!

Heading to the lfs to buy some more RO/DI water tomorrow.

Filled the evap today with RO, probably will do a pwc as well, since am heading to get RO I can get a jug refill of SW too.

Doing a 50% water change on both of the 5s and the 38. Because I am still a caveman and do a gallon at a time by hand the 38 takes considerably longer than the two fives lol

Pretty excited right now, but also exhausted.

Bought an Innovative Marine SR-80 all in one tank and stand and some access. The 80 actually means 80G :eek: Used.

More later and a new tank build thread. Eeeeeeeee!!!!!

Did pwc add water to pond earlier. Added RO for evap on SW nanos too.

Got a little surprise yesterday while feeding my tanks. While I was watching, one little shape dashed by, and then another -- my amano shrimps were still alive! I hadn't seen those little aquatic roaches in at least six months and had assumed they'd all died off. Instead, they're just real good at hiding in that heavily overgrown tank.

And to think they've probably been watching me the whole time... :shocked!:

Back
Top Bottom