Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #6361
Aquarium Advice Addict

started soaking some new driftwood I picked up at the lake, started cleaning the nasty 20 gallon long I bought used, picked up a UG filter for the 20 (thanks for being a hoarder dad!), did some therapy shopping and picked up 4 ghost shrimp (two are berried!) from walmart. Surprisingly our Walmart has really healthy fish. I'd say better than petco and petsmart by a landslide. Guess that one guy working there knows his stuff....

venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #6362
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Installed new sump along with a auto fill , it's so Quiet I don't even hear
it running

54seaweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #6363
Aquarium Advice Activist

Received and set up my awesome new Aquatop cf-500uv filter! Woooooo! Great price and perfect for my cichlid tank!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396030646556.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	230552  
Old 03-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #6364
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Noticed the bubble nest in my pretty newer Dragonscale's tank got huge. He has been darting around the tank like he was looking for someone...

Added my fattest little female in there and let them meet and chase each other around. She was scared at first and then put on some tiger mating stripes and they got to meet and chase around the tank. She followed him some and after about 10 min he started really chasing her and nipping at her. She would rest and then come back near him so I think we could get a match here.

I took her back out and plopped her back in with the rest of the girls. Maybe he will make his nest even bigger. I will plop her back in in either tonight or in the morning and see if anything happens

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:36 AM   #6365
Aquarium Advice Freak

Setup process.
I bought some pipes to plumb the overflow of my new (used) 35g tank and a return pump capable of 500L/h. Filled the (filthy) tank with water to leak test and spent about 1.5 hours scraping scrubbing and making it look pretty and newish again. Time well spent though and i can happily say that it is leak free and only has minor superficial scratches. Great buy for $50 andit will probably become my first saltwater tank one day in future. I need to build a stand tomorrow and see what kind of start i can make on a sump. I have two nicely sized tanks that i will chose from and look for a DIY plan that i like tonight after cleaning out the most damaged looking sump option and get started with some partitions. I think I'll just go with a wier style overflow system leading to a long empty section that will house the return pump. I figure i can get at least 10g of extra volume running through a 15-17g sump. This tank will combine all the 5 or so months of knowledge i have gained with planting and has more floor space and low height than all my other tanks so it's going to be exciting filling it with plants. I think that i enjoy having a garden i don't have to remember to water as much as keeping fish.

Tank maintenance
Just feeding today.
Comets got flakes in the morning and a small snack of pellets at lunch because they were begging. Will feed them and every tank peas tonight.
20g Community got a flakes and bloodworm. Needs a WC tonight and meds for fungus added. I thought it was gone but it returned in two fish that had slight infections on their side. It's been a PITA since i took on 7 fish in an abandoned tank that had a broken filter. They matched my stocking so i thought, great free stock upgrade but the meds have meant i spent more than i would have needed to spend on new fish. And sadly 3/7 fish have since died. The free tank that they came in is a nice 6g rimless cube that i like though and worth $70 from my LFS (with a working HOB in the deal). Sadly the HOB from this stup was burnt out.
20g Kuhli and RCS got a small amount of pellets and a big feed of bloodworms.

I may also do a hardscape for a terrarium i want to get set up for some fiddler crabs. I had planned it a few weeks back but life and family visits put that on the back burner. I at least got some emersed plant clippings started on a windowsill that i can just plant straight away on the island i build. I'm excited about getting these little guys. I have a small cycled filter ready to go for them i just have to stop postponing the build for their tank. The LFS is keeping them underwater but i'm pretty sure the variety they have need land to have a healthy life. I hope they don't destroy plants though.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-292013.html
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #6366
Aquarium Advice Addict

Went to the CAFE convention in Columbus today (awesome!) and got 10 CRS. A little outside the plans today but I couldn't pass them up! So now I'm frantically rushing around to get the tank around for them. I have RO water from the store, extra plants and driftwood in a tank with the shrimp. I still need to find some substrate and a few more things. But awesome day!!!
Old 03-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #6367
Aquarium Advice Freak

75% water Change in 2 out of the 4 tanks, and moved some fish around
Old 03-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #6368
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sent to an auction yesterday day. I put up a cobalt blue zebra and yellow lab juvies. I got hap sp. tomato fry($10) african water fern($5) Christmas moss($6) and rotala Mexican var. bangledesh($7)
I think I did pretty good.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396288605.538544.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	231066
Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #6369
Aquarium Advice Activist

Added 4 female Molly's to my tank. I had bought 3 before I knew much and it turned out they were 2 male and one female. The poor female was exhausted and the males fighting all the time. Peace has been restored!!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #6370
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Watched my new orchid dottyback that I added yesterday in the caves hiding and noticed that my electric flame scallop has FINALLY came out of his cave enough to where I can see him! Good day.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com