What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just letting nature drop everything where she wants it. I actually kind of like the leaves tangled up In the roots.

I should note that the black walnut shells were lovingly dehusked and sculpted by squirrels. View attachment 310248View attachment 310249View attachment 310250View attachment 310251

Are the Black walnuts something that has toxins. I see noted that the walnuts seem to have a toxic effect on dogs and horses, but maybe not cats, and I have no idea about shrimp and aquatic life.

Just a cautious note for you to check on.

Thanks!
It does look like the black walnut in particular could be an issue. I had chose them because they are the only once I have direct access to and I had seen tree nut husk and shells recommended for Blackwater Aquarium.
I will remove them and perform a water change just to be safe.
Are the Black walnuts something that has toxins. I see noted that the walnuts seem to have a toxic effect on dogs and horses, but maybe not cats, and I have no idea about shrimp and aquatic life.

Just a cautious note for you to check on.

Thanks!
It does look like the black walnut in particular could be an issue. I had chose them because they are the only once I have direct access to and I had seen tree nut husk and shells recommended for Blackwater Aquarium.
I will remove them and perform a water change just to be safe.

When I read the Black Walnut I recalled something about toxicity, mainly relating to roots giving off toxins to prevent competition of other trees, that got me wondering.

Not sure if someone feels that since Black Walnut and Black water sound similar, it is a pretty good idea, or whether there was actually a potential issue.

Always wondering about these kinds of things when it comes to our little aqua creatures. Better to err on the cautious side, unless you KNOW it is safe. It also could be a toxic effect over a longer term too. But since BW tanks are not the 90% regular water change tanks, it concerns me on long term possible effects. This article didn't mention too much about it re: cats and dogs other than the penicillium turning to a "neurotoxin called Penitrem A" that's enough to scare me off.
https://extension.umd.edu/learn/toxic-plant-profile-black-walnut
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Planning the tank moving for the weekend.

The wider 24" Reef Lagoon, will probably need to go into the larger corner end of the room, where the 72G would fit more comfortably on the doorway, exit side. Since it is less wide and bulky looking.

Unfortunately, presently in the opposite corner :nono: Darn it...

The objective is to make it look like a sleek interesting display tank set up in a family room - not the workshop of a mad fish scientist (which is how it usually looks. :whistle: ).

Interesting on the black walnuts. My only question with toxicity would be how black walnut trees live near rivers, ponds and lakes with roots that penetration the banks into the water or even drop walnuts into the water without being toxic to fish? Is it diluted in nature to the point it doesn't matter?

That would be my guess because I see them all the time here in the water. But I have saw evidence after researching it including one very informative PDF file from the University of Georgia that does illustrate the toxicity of the trees and the nut hulls. they are also known to kill fish in stagnant ponds which in all intensive purposes is what are aquariums are.
Interesting on the black walnuts. My only question with toxicity would be how black walnut trees live near rivers, ponds and lakes with roots that penetration the banks into the water or even drop walnuts into the water without being toxic to fish? Is it diluted in nature to the point it doesn't matter?

So the dad has been moved to the 15 gallon tank as the fry are now free swimming.1535716051782.jpg

I also may have lost some fry today because it is on my bedside table and when I got up I slipped and fell kicking the table pretty hard. The joys of being a stroke survivor is less than optimal balance and muscle function.

The tank jostled pretty bad and I lost some water. It's hard to say really but hopefully I did not lose too many.

I also need to do water changes on the angel tank and the Gourami tank.

Also need to clean out the geckos terrarium but that is technically not fish related lol

Did the first water change on my baby betta tank today. I use some Airline and a piece of sponge on the end. I changed two gallons and it took over a half hour lol

I'm trying to find out if I can go pick up a 32 gallon Red Sea saltwater Reef tank that I would probably use for freshwater. Or use that one as my saltwater tank and use that really big tank I got, my Innovative Marine tank and do a different style saltwater then I originally planned.

Smaller amount of water is less work in theory because of having to buy a new RO unit or a mixed saltwater myself. I should know in the morning if I am picking it up or not.

Why not make your own RO water?
I'm trying to find out if I can go pick up a 32 gallon Red Sea saltwater Reef tank that I would probably use for freshwater. Or use that one as my saltwater tank and use that really big tank I got, my Innovative Marine tank and do a different style saltwater then I originally planned.

Smaller amount of water is less work in theory because of having to buy a new RO unit or a mixed saltwater myself. I should know in the morning if I am picking it up or not.

Why not make your own RO water?

Since you asked.... (and thinking out loud)

I have a smaller rated 50 or 100 gpd ??? (originally got used 2x from my shrimp guy who was moving out of country) 4 stage filter sink hook up unit (takes a long time).

With larger water changes and making my own SW, probably need a RO unit which is connected into the plumbing, and I do not really think there is enough room for that kind of set up.

I still have a commercial water filtration unit in storage previously used for a 8 head restaurant soda machine but not easily able to accommodate a big trash can full of water in my utility closet.

There is a drain/sump space in the floor right next to where the water lines are which would be where the water storage would be and not adequate room to sit on the floor necessarily because of the sump location.

A shelf of stuff there presently could be relocated.

Possibly use a very sturdy custom built stand for the storage container as to be above/ over the sump and not block its access.

The stand will likely need to be made of metal since it would be in the corner next to a hot water heater on one side and a furnace on the other. There is some issue of space next to the furnace to know what the clearance should be.

edit: looks like 30" in front where the servicing is done is code - info so far. Which is how it was built already /does not impair the corner which could be removable if necessary.

<><><><><><>
Your question is making me think it through more.

Other than being time consuming to make the initial connections happen. It MAY be possible. Will try some measurements this next week.

<><><><><><>

Presently have 7 available 5G RO/SW water containers used for transporting or storing water and it is only .50 per gallon for RO at the SW lfs. Plus the
moderate drive.

Well glad I gave you something to think about lol

Let us know what you decide!

Today was a bit of a surprise in getting a few things accomplished which I didn't think would happen at this point (for so many reasons).

Today I am finally saying that I shut down the 46G bowfront tank.

Moved the Bottom Feeder fish, 3 Small Clown Loaches, 3 Petricola - Dwarf, and 2 Kuhlis into the 72G tank.

This caused the largest Clown Loach to be very upset apparently - noticed because the color diminished noticeably.

3 Petricola are following each other around like they are happy.

Clowns now 5, seem to interact, but also not just acting like one happy family yet. I saw all the smaller ones following each other once.

But overall there is some upset to the tank dynamics.

The lights were turned down to dark blues just before adding them.

Now the funnier part of the story is that all fish were accounted for save one. The small Spotted Raphael Catfish. The largest one which is really large and I believe to be a female, went into the tote. but after 10 chunks of DW and stones come out and double checking in the pond where they are in holding right now, no little guy.

Did not see a dried body anywhere and no skeletal remains in the tank. Since it was almost bare bottom it was easy to see around and not anything.

I ended up checking the canister filter and low and behold there the little guy was, down in the very bottom. Seemed in good condition but not fat. They are going to a friend's tank who already has one of these guys.

Big Koi Angel got a spot at the hotel lfs, heading to a new home pretty soon.

Tank empty.

Cleaned and refilled the FX-5 canister filter, new polishing pad. Going to hook it up tomorrow on the 72G. With the other one and the AC 110... to keep it cycled. And to clean I guess.

Just wanted to post a pic of the black water tank. I did about a 10-15% WC so it's a bit lighter than it was.

It has nine neon green Rasbora and one female betta. I got 10 of the Rasbora but one died the day after shipment. IMG_20180915_133617.jpg

Just wanted to post a pic of the black water tank. I did about a 10-15% WC so it's a bit lighter than it was.

It has nine neon green Rasbora and one female betta. I got 10 of the Rasbora but one died the day after shipment. View attachment 310425

Are they Sundadanio Neon Green or Neon Green Kubotai??? I love both kinds actually!!! So awesome either way!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally after a month, I picked up my Coral frags that I didn't really mean to buy but did on auction after the minimum was reduced to what my bid was! LOL. That's what I get for supporting local small business. :rolleyes: I added them to the 12G SW last night after a brief acclimation, and 2 gallon pwc on the tank, and a 1G on the 6.6 SW.

Added that SW pwc water to the cycling SW rock tub.

After a great conversation with Allyson of Mind Blowing Corals where I got the Zoas, I came home and removed all of my visible Asterina Starfish to a SW container. I will make them a little vase to live in with macro algae. Remove as many as I can. She mentioned that they will often eat the body of the Zoas, which may explain why the 2 I did have disappeared little by little after I noticed the little stars populating my tanks and were doing pretty nicely before that.

Thanks hitch hikers. And dumb me for not dipping the new corals.

Also talked to Allyson about some equipment and my ideas for the new tank. She is very much into the minimal approach to keeping and has a really stunning display tank which was an amazing treat to see. Love passionate hobbyists. She is going to give me a heads up if she can get me some decent priced Rock Flowers. I was appreciative of the offer as it is still hard to come up with these guys. Not the expensive fancy ones but the moderately nice low end ones.

Did a 1G pwc on the PRL 12G shrimp tank with RO and Replenish.

Picked up 10G of RO water and 35G - 7 5G water totes of SW. And some mineral blocks for the SW tanks.

2G pwc on Catfish tub.

Also finally looks like it will be time to get the SW tank in place and start the water filling - maybe today, maybe tomorrow. It will be great to see the family room and tank wall coming together with out the extra tank mess in the middle of the side floor! After months of gradual changes!!! (y)

Are they Sundadanio Neon Green or Neon Green Kubotai??? I love both kinds actually!!! So awesome either way!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally after a month, I picked up my Coral frags that I didn't really mean to buy but did on auction after the minimum was reduced to what my bid was! LOL. That's what I get for supporting local small business. :rolleyes: I added them to the 12G SW last night after a brief acclimation, and 2 gallon pwc on the tank, and a 1G on the 6.6 SW.

Added that SW pwc water to the cycling SW rock tub.

After a great conversation with Allyson of Mind Blowing Corals where I got the Zoas, I came home and removed all of my visible Asterina Starfish to a SW container. I will make them a little vase to live in with macro algae. Remove as many as I can. She mentioned that they will often eat the body of the Zoas, which may explain why the 2 I did have disappeared little by little after I noticed the little stars populating my tanks and were doing pretty nicely before that.

Thanks hitch hikers. And dumb me for not dipping the new corals.

Also talked to Allyson about some equipment and my ideas for the new tank. She is very much into the minimal approach to keeping and has a really stunning display tank which was an amazing treat to see. Love passionate hobbyists. She is going to give me a heads up if she can get me some decent priced Rock Flowers. I was appreciative of the offer as it is still hard to come up with these guys. Not the expensive fancy ones but the moderately nice low end ones.

Did a 1G pwc on the PRL 12G shrimp tank with RO and Replenish.

Picked up 10G of RO water and 35G - 7 5G water totes of SW. And some mineral blocks for the SW tanks.

2G pwc on Catfish tub.

Also finally looks like it will be time to get the SW tank in place and start the water filling - maybe today, maybe tomorrow. It will be great to see the family room and tank wall coming together with out the extra tank mess in the middle of the side floor! After months of gradual changes!!! (y)
They are Kubotai.

Also good luck with all the saltwater stuff, thats still all over my head. Lol

Back
Top Bottom