What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty fish D-fish.

SW can be as complicated as you want it to be. I know only a very small amount about it, lots / never ending learning but also been keeping simple, and easy stuff for about 4 years. With a start up, SUPER easy nano, and it was low key low maintenance and lowish cost, because it was simple.

If you have access to a SW lfs in your area, anyone pretty much can do it if they can keep a FW nano.

Today my little bit was getting the stand into the space at the wall for a visual inspection.

Moving over the spare FX-5.

Finding the source of 2 leaking things.

One was a 5G SW tote leaking, then saw more water on the other side in between the two SW nanos, figured I must have spilled water. Cleaned it up.

Later, thought it must have been more water than I thought and cleaned up more. Then later saw more water. Then cleaned up and moved a couple things to check - all the filters and electric cords, lines and air tubes were dry. Floor was wet still, or again?!? was not sure what was up :eek:

Was so annoyed and dried it up again.

While I was still moving things around I saw a new puddle forming and wondered if the glass tank sprung a leak in a seam.

NO. It was the spray from the air bubbler [being bumped closer than usual to the surface] condensing on the underside of the acrylic lid and ever so slightly dripping in a clear stream from the acrylic clip that holds the lid on the rimless tank, because the lid was hanging off centered over the outside of the rim just enough to catch the outer side of the clip. The tanks are just a couple inches from each other and it was like an invisible stream of water.

Very unusual circumstance. I did not see it on the glass. Only found it when feeling around the bottom edge of the glass looking for the leaky seam.

Back to the "new" SW tank. It is REALLY heavy and there was no one around this evening able to lift it with me. Also the tank stand must have lost one of its balancing feet and it rocks somewhat, and isn't level now. Need to check that out now.

AND I do not think the tanks planned set up looks right, so I am probably needing to switch back to plan B.

Switch 72G to the left and the 80G to the right. 2x the work, and it is so heavy, 72G will have to be emptied 3/4 of the way to slide it.

Will it never end?!?!

I was supposed to be filling the 80G SW, not still moving it around Monday.

Edit: Also narrowly voted myself down on an idea to drain and move the 72G at 10pm by myself. Instead emptied the 46G of the last 1/4 of water and magic erased all the inside and outside of the glass sides and rims. The stand got a little extra love as well. Looks pretty good.

Moved the 80G stand out of the way as well. Wiped if off.

Magic erased the outside of the glass of the 72G, trim and rim an some of the stand.

Wrapped up the light and cords and heater from the 46G which were stacked in the corner. Figured it would save some time in the later half of the day tomorrow. 3 steps closer!

Last edited:
Had high hopes for some lightning progress, but only half way there.

My lifting help ended up getting called away for other more pressing things.

Today only got to
move the 72G about 10 feet to the opposite corner of the family room.

To make that happen had to reduce the water level to about 6 inches. And it seemed MUCH heavier than I remember. Ended up taking out an extra bucket of water to save some weight because it was hard sliding it (by myself).

Then got to clean up the aquascape. Trim off dead leaves. Removed a sickly looking Anubias which was hiding the intake. Removed almost all the Duckweed (can you ever remove all the duckweed?), and floating plants to the pond which is just holding snails and ~10 extra chunks of DW...

Adjusted the 72G tank DW pieces, moved some stones and plants and tried disguising the ceramic Pleco cave with stones and substrate. Moved things around some more.

Then even more, but not quite what I wanted at that point and realized it had to be good enough since my arm was getting water logged and there were other things to do too.

Tried to load a few pics but it didn't work. So pics later.

Hahaha, Clown Loaches are swimming around the front glass, I think they are hungry. It is adorable to see them swimming around together in a group!!!

Since I removed near all the floating cover I will need to lower the photo period until the plants get used to it.

Will need to update my 72G thread this week sometime.

Looks fresh now and the fish are visible!

I think I got rid of all the duckweed I had. I also basically had to get rid of all the other floating plants too. There’s still a little bit of crystalwort with some tangled bacopa, but I don’t think any of my floating wisteria made it. Trade offs, I guess?

Edit: and I cleaned the Edge a little bit and stole some more of the Anubias for the 40 gallon. Unfortunately one of the ember tetras in the Edge is looking really bad, just no belly on him at all. He’s always been the runt of the bunch but I’m betting he won’t last the night :(

I went to a fish store (Big Al's Newmarket) that's between the location of my new job and my university, just to see what it is like, and found that I love it. Maybe that is just because the person I talked to was kind and informative, but really liked it. Since I am not going to be able to get out of university until after the store's closing hours, I was just investigating the aquatic plants section and found some nice small water lettuce. It was going 6 little water lettuce for 5 dollars. Talked myself into getting it and found out that it was an old deal, and that were not enough water lettuce in stock to validate the deal. So, instead I got to take home the remainder (like four or five babies) of the water lettuce they had in stock, seriously itty bitty things that apparently no-one wanted, as well as a Frogbit plant....for a dollar. Considering that the water lettuce itself was selling at 0.99 a piece and the Frogbit was going for 3.99, I think this is probably one of the best deals I've ever had. Been walking on air since. My usual LFS almost never has any floating plants, so I'll probably just offload the offspring of these to them when it gets too much for me.

Also visited a couple of other fish stores cause I had the time, these ones def out of the way for me to get to, and enjoyed jsut browsing. Tried one of the locations for the very first time and was surprised by how they aimed for pretty much either for whatever extreme novices that just wonder into the shop or monster fish / big fish keeper hobbyists.

I was sort of surprised to see a couple monster fish tanks right by the cashier's desk, but since I usually frequent Big Al's locations it wasn't that surprising to see. It was more that there were freshwater preds than salties. Walking into anywhere and seeing a Tiger Fish on display would surprise anyone, right? Guess that and the tank of red belly piranha should have clued me into the store's specialties, lol.

So yeah, I had some fish adventures today. :)

My son is all settled in his new apartment so we took his 16L Biorb to him. Down to 3 tanks again. Lol

Water change day. Zucchini for the snails and shrimp; frozen brine shrimp for the fish.
Water from the tank is this brown. Tannin city. IMG_6862.jpg

Did a goodly sized water change on the shrimp tank today, want to get it all sparkly clean for the new shrimp I ordered, which should ship tomorrow. Tried out a new water change doohickey I made, though my system needs some kinks worked out still.

Didn't get any tank hefting muscle yet so admired the tanks some. Tried to order some special ferts but I do not still have a way to find them here in the USA. Still hunting.

Gotta get the water changes done in the morning.

Didn't get any tank hefting muscle yet so admired the tanks some. Tried to order some special ferts but I do not still have a way to find them here in the USA. Still hunting.

It is still possible to specify your own measurements and the tank is made. I have already done that. It does not cost anymore. (€ / liter)

Good luck on ferts! Normally US is my go to place for shopping.

Good luck on ferts! Normally US is my go to place for shopping.

It's Ferka Stemma and Ferka Rosetta. 50 capsules
Should be around $14-16 the 20 caplets cost around 8-8.50. There is a full line of ferts too
for moss type/ non rooted plants.
Shrimp and tank supplement
Those were the really interesting ones.
Regular planted tank etc.

It's my favorite for the root capsules. I haven't used any other others, but had talked with people from other countries and they liked the regular fertilizer liquids.

Did a few pwc's this week.

Had done the extra dose of Fenbendozole. My 2 snails seem okay with it. I ran out of RO water and will probably go get more, or just hook up my RO faucet unit and make some. We have yuck weather for driving, maybe tomorrow it will be better.

Shrimp look fine.

Been feeding the tanks frozen foods about 3 times per week. Spirulina BrineShrimp and a Meaty Cichlid (can't recall name atm) food more for the Clown Loaches and bottom feeders .

They are a gumdrop type food, I mostly cut them into smaller pieces, and share it with all the tanks. Amount based of fish.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

An interesting thing in the Wine Glass is that there are at least 2 Ghost Shrimp a male and a female, from when the tests were being made on water quality/safety. I thought they had disappeared until a couple weeks ago I saw something moving around when all the fish were swimming for snacks at the top, so I was startled until I actually saw it was the large female shrimp.

Then later I saw a male, maybe two, but only can confirm 2 visible at any one time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got a fat shipment of Riccia and Crypt and Moss with 8 beautiful Mystery snails. Thanks Snail Lady!

Had some tense days as the PO was slow to pick up package and said it would be much later than thought. We said some snail prayers and they arrived a day earlier so they only had to be in shipping / box 4 days instead of 5!!! PO is like a snail...

Had got them picked up quickly the day they arrived and then into some water, they seemed disoriented but started moving around some right away, others were sluggish...

Got the water changes done, then into the Spec V.

There are 4 light ones and 4 dark ones. I was going to split them up into the Wine glass too, but since they had a hard long trip decided I would do it later.

Added a little bit more Replenish into the Spec V. The snails seemed good with that.

Need to test the water this weekend to make sure we have a good place for them.

Too bad big snails can still be eaten by Clown Loaches.

I washed out a Trifle glass container to house all the plants. Likely will rearrange the Spec V soon.
~~~~~~~~~

Have been learning more about building a Paludarium / Vivarium. There is so much more to do for the Paludarium option.

There are so many really neat plants I would like to grow in one.

I am going to try to get a couple kinds of plants to grow emersed - from water to both water AND land parts. A trial of sorts. Maybe get that started this next week or 2.

Great week so far.

~~~~~~~~~
Ordering a couple types of sand for the SW tank, Should be here in the early to mid week, to get the start of the tank going. Some Pink Somoa #5 and 0, understanding the word pink is not especially descriptive of the sand. Has some pink shell bits but mainly whitish.
Still thinking of mixing it with Garnet sand.

Back
Top Bottom