What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally a pic. Took for ever!

Since snails poop a lot, I decided I might as well clean out this whole tank, move the Chili Rasboras to the PRL tank and give the scape an update.

Whew. Pic is still cloudy after not having the pump working. There is a ghost Betta reflection about 3 o'clock position...no Betta in the tank.
60074-albums14671-picture71890.jpg

Sand was mucky.

Biggest issue was that the internal pump was almost completely plugged where the water intake grate is.

Cleaned it but it didn't work after getting it all back together and in the tank.

Then had to remove it about 6 times and unplug and re plug because the tubing and out flow wasn't cooperating and staying snapped!

Of course the plug connection is located under a table and behind a cabinet with a cord that can't extend any further than behind everything, turning me into a human pretzel.

Finally I found a couple hard thumps on the bathroom sink actually got it running and then stopped. A bunch more brown chunky muck came out of it. Thumped it again though more lightly and it sputtered, and finally continued running. Rinsed it out a couple more times to hope for the best.

Yay, and need to remember to clean that out more often and buy a new one for a replacement.

Here is the pic from when they were getting acclimated.
60074-albums14671-picture71892.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like my bushy nose plecos spawned again, so I’m debating trying to figure out a way to save them from the predation of the tetras, who pretty much pecked all but one of the last batch to death.

Finally a pic. Took for ever!

Since snails poop a lot, I decided I might as well clean out this whole tank, move the Chili Rasboras to the PRL tank and give the scape an update.

Whew. Pic is still cloudy after not having the pump working. There is a ghost Betta reflection about 3 o'clock position...no Betta in the tank.
60074-albums14671-picture71890.jpg

Sand was mucky.

Biggest issue was that the internal pump was almost completely plugged where the water intake grate is.

Cleaned it but it didn't work after getting it all back together and in the tank.

Then had to remove it about 6 times and unplug and re plug because the tubing and out flow wasn't cooperating and staying snapped!

Of course the plug connection is located under a table and behind a cabinet with a cord that can't extend any further than behind everything, turning me into a human pretzel.

Finally I found a couple hard thumps on the bathroom sink actually got it running and then stopped. A bunch more brown chunky muck came out of it. Thumped it again though more lightly and it sputtered, and finally continued running. Rinsed it out a couple more times to hope for the best.

Yay, and need to remember to clean that out more often and buy a new one for a replacement.

Here is the pic from when they were getting acclimated.
60074-albums14671-picture71892.jpg

Tank looks great! What’s the background used? Trying to find something cheap.

:)
The background is metal pieces from a decorative crate/box - think (cheap) barn style wood ends and frame with metal sides, grandkid sat on it upside down and broke the bottom out and it was going to be thrown away so I scooped up the pieces, they are just sitting behind the tank at present because I was considering shutting it down and didn't want to clip it down and not be able to us it somewhere else.

The decorative metal pieces are available at the hardware store too. I think a small size piece, about 12 x 18" varies but under $20
like this fancy
https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...-Nickel-Mosaic-Aluminum-Sheet-57005/202525460
this one looks like copper
https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...x-24-in-Copper-Aluminum-Sheet-57525/205518999
there are styles of cut outs
unionjack, lincaine, small hole, cloverleaf, ellipical, - diamond tread for the edgy garage build look! Hammered and all kinds of decorative finishes possible, like diy brushed metal.

like this one!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...ick-Elliptical-Aluminum-Sheet-57010/202525465

Thrift stores and yard sales are likely good sources for the stuff because chalk board end crate/storage boxes are the hot item now, lol.

I want to add in a pale watery aqua /blue green sheer color with it in front. I had wanted to do a metal back ground, after seeing the lid of my Fluval Edge tank was showing through a tank and looked really interesting and different. I looked for the pic and didn't see it.

Not that you asked about this but here is one with a mini sushi roll mat as a background circa 2013.
60074-albums12946-picture59982.jpg

Other things like textured fabric - burlap / seagrass type /place mats.

The photo printed backgrounds are pretty costly!

I caught two of them, at least, and put them in the Edge tank. The ember tetras shouldn’t be able to bully them too much, since they’re almost the same size :) maybe if they grow up a bit I can get them back into the big tank.

Did a 25% w/c on my 5.5G. Took the majority of the plants that used to be in my 10G out of the tub I've been holding them in for the last week and relocated them over to the 5.5G. Hunted down the fry that I could see in the tub with a turkey baster and relocated them over to the 5.5G where I can provide good heating and filtration for them. The whole thing looks like a mess currently, but that's alright by me since my 10G is where I'm making things look nice. I'm looking forward to growing the fry up to see which of the danios actually spawned them.

Relocated two of my assassin snails, one for the 5.5G and one for the 10G. The rest are staying in the tub for now. Might bring them along to the fish club meeting I am attending tomorrow.

The water pump on the Spec V pooped out and then smacked it around a couple more attempts to get it to work - again. Pretty much was no, yes, for 20 seconds, no, yes until I put it into the tank compartment, then no... over and over.

Then I added an extension cord to the plug for the pump which made it easier...

And it got smacked again and so far it is still running for 24 hours.

But I bought a new one anyway because I have not trust in it. Last night.

Then today cleaning in the garage comically found about 6 small pumps like this but are for fountains but would work!

I was wondering where those went. All brand new... Of course, literally find them after purchasing a new one, 15 hours later, and have had these pumps for maybe 5 years. Ugh. But now I have a OEM one.

Fed microwaved organic yellow and green zucchini slices and at first the snails ignored them, maybe they were more worried about breathing since their pump went out. But after that they got to munching and theirs are all but devoured, a little skin left of the rind.

The 72G got lots of circles for all the bottom feeders and wowzie were they a big hit. I think the Plecos especially are going to start knocking on the glass for them! Using their pectoral fins to point at the top glass and then the substrate for more! If I hear knocking noises coming from the tank I will run up and grab some more!

I got a tiny cube silicone ice cube tray like half inch size maybe, given to me and have been wondering what to do with it.

Thinking it is pretty much the size of commercial frozen cubes and will probably make some bits of veggie things for the bottom feeders and keep them in the freezer for them. Did that before with raw organic mixed greens in the large size cubes. But making steamed veggie and greens ice cubes once a month seems much more convenient to feed on a regular basis. (y)

It is freezing at night this week here. I had to pull in all my aquatic plants (plus temperate plants) and I feel like I must be a hoarder. With 4 containers and 5 Starbucks Trenta cups of misc plants from rescapes. Just hanging out under my deck, now inside my back door...

But if I make a Paludarium, I could put them almost all to use. ;)

I forgot to pick my tomatoes and its midnight, bye!

EDIT: Got the tomatoes and sad it is the end of tomato season, but down to 20's later at night so worth trying to cover them. :'(

Last edited:
I work at hospitals and schools with a few other techs. We usually don't get started until the last person is arrives. So I have a time at work called "Aquarium Projects before Eric Shows Up". Today's project that I finished involves a test tube rack and API test kit bottles.

I recently aquired the rack and Kh, Gh, and Phosphate test bottles. I found some inspiration online and came up with my own setup. Room for all the bottles and 8 tubes for each test.

Test Tube Rack, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCHCNC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4okVBb177B08D

and a Dremel, it's not as polished as I would like, but for a quick project to organize the bottles it does the job.IMG_20181009_082032.jpeg

I’ve seen people make snail jello with ice cube trays. High calcium baby food (maybe even with added calcium powder) some fish food, and gelatin.

I work at hospitals and schools with a few other techs. We usually don't get started until the last person is arrives. So I have a time at work called "Aquarium Projects before Eric Shows Up". Today's project that I finished involves a test tube rack and API test kit bottles.

I recently aquired the rack and Kh, Gh, and Phosphate test bottles. I found some inspiration online and came up with my own setup. Room for all the bottles and 8 tubes for each test.

Test Tube Rack, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FCHCNC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4okVBb177B08D

and a Dremel, it's not as polished as I would like, but for a quick project to organize the bottles it does the job.View attachment 310608
I like that

Today's project that I finished involves a test tube rack and API test kit bottles.
"... and a Dremel, it's not as polished as I would like, but for a quick project to organize the bottles it does the job.View attachment 310608

That is a brilliant job!

I’ve seen people make snail jello with ice cube trays. High calcium baby food (maybe even with added calcium powder) some fish food, and gelatin.

Snello! That is a good idea for a perfect snail food serving.

???????????????????????????????
TMaier do you have a recipe you like?

Thanks for sharing that, it seemed I remember you mentioning making it.
I am going to share it for another member with snail problems too.

I saw one of my fish acting oddly and needed to add more calcium to my tank 72G tonight.

My SW light is not working correctly, geez always something. It has been acting up more and more over the last month or so. Seems now only the blue lights work no more SW full spectrum day lights.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom