Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #6421
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Doing tests and water changes today

Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #6422
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yesterday I did a 50% change on the 55, moved all that water into the aquaponics system outside that is still cycling, so the plants could use the nitrates.
Also did a thorough cleaning of the filter and the lines on the 55.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #6423
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak

Water change and replanting in the 20. I rested for the first since starting EI dosing and I need to cut back on kno3.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #6424
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayi View Post
Water change and replanting in the 20. I rested for the first since starting EI dosing and I need to cut back on kno3.

I am doing PPS-Pro and stopped adding the KNO3 because the nitrates were already 10-20 with no ferts.

WCs on the planted and shrimp tanks. Swapped the Fluval CO2 diffuser for a generic glass one (Fluval is taking an H2O2 bath). Noticed that it had a different pressure resistance and had to adjust the fine tuning valve on the regulator. The glass diffuser does not have a suction cup so it won't stay put; right now I have the bubbles hit the output of the hob filter to increase CO2 distribution.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #6425
Aquarium Advice Freak

What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan79 View Post
If the python is out of the question then a simple hose from outside to where the tank is kept indoors would cut down 50% of the carrying. Fill the bucket and mix water conditioner in front of the tank. A reliable nozzle to stop/start the water would be helpful too and in case it ever pops off the hose i would keep an extra empty bucket handy in case it ever needs to be carried outside while the water is running uncontrollably.

Sadly we live in NYC so we don't have a hose...

Found a deceased guppy today. RIP unnamed guppy (from petco but kinda looked endler-ish). She was ok this morning, zooming around the tank as usual then this evening she was found at the bottom dead. :'(
Old 04-14-2014, 01:33 AM   #6426
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat364 View Post
Sadly we live in NYC so we don't have a hose...

Found a deceased guppy today. RIP unnamed guppy (from petco but kinda looked endler-ish). She was ok this morning, zooming around the tank as usual then this evening she was found at the bottom dead. :'(

Sad news

Maybe a full life?
Old 04-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #6427
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Water change on tank, fish looking good and convinced they are starving . 4 litres of liquid carbon turned up in the post so stashed that away.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #6428
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Sad news

Maybe a full life?

I don't know. We only had her for 3-4 weeks, she was in the tank for about two weeks (after quarantine) before she died. She was pretty small too.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #6429
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yesterday I emptied out roughly 17-18 gallons of water from my 20G tank because I could not get the pH down at all! It stood steady at 8.4 no matter what I did for a week. I am eager to get my fish, so I added about 7 gallons of RO (reverse osmosis) water tonight (that is all I had containers enough to fill for now.) I have driftwood in it to balance pH. I plan to add more water this week, leave it covered and allow the bubbler (if that is even what it is called) move the water around for now. I should have more water in a day or two to add so the filter can move it.
I have some questions. Is it okay to let it sit like this for the time period I am going to? Also, do I need to add aqua safe conditioners and pH balancers with RO water? I used the water care kit and it did not lower pH. Would anyone recommend that product for aquarium bacteria starting, etc.? Another thing, my filter cartridge somehow released some carbon pieces into the water. Is this harmful? How do I get it out without emptying my tank? The tank is quite heavy for me with some back/neck problems I have. I worry about dropping it to empty.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #6430
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlove777 View Post
Yesterday I emptied out roughly 17-18 gallons of water from my 20G tank because I could not get the pH down at all! It stood steady at 8.4 no matter what I did for a week. I am eager to get my fish, so I added about 7 gallons of RO (reverse osmosis) water tonight (that is all I had containers enough to fill for now.) I have driftwood in it to balance pH. I plan to add more water this week, leave it covered and allow the bubbler (if that is even what it is called) move the water around for now. I should have more water in a day or two to add so the filter can move it.
I have some questions. Is it okay to let it sit like this for the time period I am going to? Also, do I need to add aqua safe conditioners and pH balancers with RO water? I used the water care kit and it did not lower pH. Would anyone recommend that product for aquarium bacteria starting, etc.? Another thing, my filter cartridge somehow released some carbon pieces into the water. Is this harmful? How do I get it out without emptying my tank? The tank is quite heavy for me with some back/neck problems I have. I worry about dropping it to empty.

About the carbon at the bottom of the tank, just siphon it into a bucket. You can then slowly pour the water back into the tank (well most of it).

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com