What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Emptied 7 starbucks trenta containers of plants, planted and rehomed to new locations.

PWC on the Wine Glass, Spec V, and a 1 gallon pwc on the 2G planted bowl then added a Golden Mystery Snail to eat the algae on the glass. Last time it only took a few days to clean up, will move it back when it does the cleaning.

Found a dead male Pleco and have to see what the problem might be. He had a small scratch by his head. Wondering if its resulting of a fight with the big BN Pleco. No other fish look ill. Doing a pwc there in a little while. :/

Planted a bunch of plants from the containers, added some moss and Riccia and Subwassertang into the pond holding the DW and Dwarf Water Lettuce. Trying to decide if I should put in a heater to keep it warn through the winter. Still have a couple pots of plants from when I took down the pond... in a tote, with Red Ramshorn snails.

One larger glass container, a brandy snifter, of plants mostly moss and Subwassertang has some string algae from being in the brighter light. I removed a couple globs, but if I treat with Excel it will probably kill the Subwassertang. Maybe lights out for 3 days.

Added in water for evap in all the tanks and the tub of SW rocks cycling outside in the heated tub. Added one of the SW rocks from the sunny top that was covered in Algae to the 12G SW nano for the Turbo snails to eat.

Cleaned off the tank and bowls outside glass and the acrylic lid from the 12G SW.

The last week has been a pretty busy fish week for me. My 10G planted has been set up and cycled for about a month now, kind of hard to miss the ammonia bloom given it has fluval stratum. Been watching and anticipating the point when it finished cycling for a while so when it reached 0 A : 0 Ni : 5 Na for a week straight, I added a small school of 6 Cardinals and a 3" Banjo Cat to the tank. Now the tank feels a lot better to me, since during cycling I only put in a guppy, and a juvenile Clown Pleco...only I only ever got to see the guppy. :p Maybe because I made some many caves in the background for the little guy to hide in? :p

During the weekend, my fish club went on a fish store tour through some of the stores that our attendees have connections with. Got some nice deals on a digital power center, still figuring out how to get that to work right, and some other things that I haven't been able to find at the LFS. Saw some crazy good stores while I was out and about so now I know where to find them. I have never seen Zebra Plecos in person before this week and man were they beautiful...and expensive. Still figuring out a new wish/fish list from that trip. :D

I feel proud of myself, I've been dosing my ferts on a good enough schedule that I actually ran out, and rather than waiting a month before mixing a new batch I just went and did it. So there will be no gap in the schedule here!

Geez, this is the longest I have gone without posting here on this thread - a month, happens to be one month, unheard of!

There are things that have been in the way of blissful tank keeping.

Bottom line, there have been less pwc, I missed the Fall CAS Auction, AND the November meeting.

The 80G SW tank is on hold as there are about 50 boxed in front of it as a result of a water leak causing damage in a big section of the house. A few other things all caused upheaval, chaos - giant mess. Probably 2 weeks off of having things getting upgraded and fixed before getting back to order after that.

72G is doing really nicely. The Clown Loach leader is really big, and the 2 babies are so small in comparison. Like previously the tiny ones go near but not really hangout together with the largest. the smaller group do hang out together especially when cruising looking for food.

The other fish I am really enjoying is the Ghost Cats there are at least 4 - the new ones and they are really busy always searching for food and these new ones are not hiding like the other group i had. There may be 6 total but the shorter bodied ones are the hiders.

There are about 50 Neon Tetras and a few Green Neons and a stray couple other similar bodied Tetras keeping them company.

The Bronze Cories are getting REALLY large, larger than any I have had before. There are 4 left, and a few Salt and Pepper Cories and a couple of the Albino ones. Since there are so many bottom dwellers I can't really get any more. It is full.

I am hoping to get some hatchet fish when I find them.

The 2 SW nanos are having some issues with the stress of sharing a light since the other one broke The fish are fine but some of the light loving corals died.

PRL tank has continued to see shrimp die, water changes regularly, no water parameter issues but slowly passing. Very disturbing and sad there.

the 2 last tanks are the 5G Spec V and it has 3 colors of Mystery snail and some red Ramshorns, a Brazos Dwarf Crayfish and a Dumbo eared Betta
The camera didn't capture his color, he is much nicer looking in person than in this pic. He is getting stronger and looking more adventurous all the time.
60074-albums14671-picture71919.jpg

The last tank being the wine glass ~7G
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/4-tall-wine-glass-tank-won-new-build-364997.html

Unusual to have found that the Ghost shrimp have reproduced and there are babies which are presently about half inch or so. Not sure how many as it is dark at the bottom and they are basically invisible except their eye and stomach after they eat. I think I saw about 4-6. There are 3 larger adults that I started with and these babies are smaller than any of the original ones I placed in the tank. So very interesting.

They are sharply angled body Ghost shrimp, not a clear grass shrimp which would look like the body of the Cherry shrimp. It is pretty exciting, and I think that at least since these babies are like junior sized, they evidently didn't need saltwater for a larval stage.

Maybe it was a fluke because I had added additional magnesium and calcium a little while back. Obviously I hope they will produce more and I can watch them more closely to get a real idea of what happened.

The wine glass tank is a male Guppy tank. Only one little pygmy Cory which I intend to get about 4 more. It isn't a huge tank so I don't want to over do it.

A glimmer of hope.

My snail light bulb container has just 2 red RH, and doing fine. Other plant containers are also doing alright.

I did a goodly water change this afternoon, getting the hang of how to use my trash can on wheels to transport water, and then pumping it into the tanks. I decided to go for Safe instead of Prime, so I got a set of teeny tiny measuring spoons; it’s really hard to tell what 1/60 tsp is otherwise!

I work a tank every morning. (If interested, picture)
Today it was number 3. There I have many plants. Aponogeton, Amazon, Cryptocorine.
And there are killifish in it.
All dirt from the extracted water I put in a small vessel with plants. I change the Javamoss and the riccia. I hope that there are eggs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dumbest thing...doing a 5 gallon PWC on the Biube. Drained the water and then refilled. With the water I just took out. Clean water still in the other bucket...argh.

Dead shrimp suck. I’m trying one more time and then I am boycotting. I took all the fish and all but 2 mystery snails out of the tank. Might take them out too. Will limit feeding to 2-3 times a week. Will never use liquid ferts but bury root tabs every 4-6 months.

Anybody know of any birth control for female guppies ? We are being inundated with guppy fry. (And I don't have the heart to let them be eaten!) Too bad we can't have them spayed . LOL

Anybody know of any birth control for female guppies ? We are being inundated with guppy fry. (And I don't have the heart to let them be eaten!) Too bad we can't have them spayed . LOL

None I am aware, and keeping them separated by sex take more than 6 months as somehow they store the males contribution... the females can keep on having babies for that long or a little bit longer!!! :eek:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heading to lfs to buy a bunch of Chili Rasboras tomorrow - supposedly still in stock. Or something else??????? Also looking for some Dwarf Cories.

And check on some additional Glass cats at a different store where I got my last ones. Added some mineral supplements to most of the tanks.

And a few cool looking Nerites if available as well or a Dwarf Rabbit snail.

Fed frozen foods of 3 varieties to the fish. Hoping there are live brine shrimp available tomorrow as well.

If they have it, going to grab a handful of smaller branch pieces of DW to use for attaching air plants as a fun project at Thanksgiving/ or Christmas gathering, depends upon selections of both items.

Tillandsias are at a different store sometimes they have them and sometimes sold out, may need to order online.

Saw a very berried Ghost shrimp last night!

Did PWCs on both tanks today and a major trimming on the planted tank. (Note: giving dwarf chain sword pressurized CO2 is like pouring water on a gremlin). Still looking for a suitable stand for a 40-breeder, since I can't build one of my own.

I was happy to see, though that Nature Aquarium, my favorite LFS which lost its location in Santa Monica, is relocating just a ten-minute walk from me. This could be dangerous to my credit card... :hide:

We did a PWC, and put the 2nd batch of (8) fry into the 38 gal.tank.Now we only have about 35 fry that are less than a week old. The older ones that are now in the main tank are starting to color up beautifully. Just wish we could stop the females from making babies without separating them from the males.

Did PWCs on both tanks today and a major trimming on the planted tank. (Note: giving dwarf chain sword pressurized CO2 is like pouring water on a gremlin). Still looking for a suitable stand for a 40-breeder, since I can't build one of my own.

I was happy to see, though that Nature Aquarium, my favorite LFS which lost its location in Santa Monica, is relocating just a ten-minute walk from me. This could be dangerous to my credit card... :hide:

That DOES sound dangerous!

~~~~~~~~~

Did pwc on Snail light bulb container - had to do a few rinses. Quite shocking how much 2 half size Ramshorn snails can poop.

Pwc's
on Wine Glass, 2G.
on 12G Edge - 2 changes equaling about 3.5G, found one PRL... :nono:
1/3rd on snail Riccia bowl
Catfish 100% new water

SW nanos 2G and 4G.

Hoping for 30G for the 72G tonight or tomorrow.

Brought home some tiny Boraras Briggitae, 12 really small guys. Seem really good. Just very small. Buy 5 get one free. 2.99 each which is reasonable in these parts.

Now will have maybe 19 or 20, couldn't quite get the count. (had 7 or 8 older ones). Hoping they all stay happy and healthy.

They are in the 12G Edge tank. It looks great to see a big bunch of them swimming around together.

Unfortunately they were out of Dwarf Cories I was looking for.

Checking tomorrow for the Glass Cats ran out of time to check on them.

Got 2 large scoops of live Brine Shrimp from the other lfs. Fed all the fish and they were VERY happy!!!

Found an unexpected fry in a floating breeder container. In my 29g there is a floating breeder that houses the snails (MTS, rams horn) that I’ve captured that I will eventually bring to the LFS. The single fry could be from the Forktail furcatas, emerald Eye Rasboras, or Ember tetras. I’m thinking the furcatas because the females are always hovering over the subwassertang. Most likely this fry hatched and found a way through the slots of this container. No telling how many more hatched and were eaten (above the subwassertang and driftwood is a lot of open water and hungry, fast swimming fish).
Thinking of moving the extra guppy grass from my shrimp tank to the 29g to provide shelter for future breeding episodes.

Found an unexpected fry in a floating breeder container. In my 29g there is a floating breeder that houses the snails (MTS, rams horn) that I’ve captured that I will eventually bring to the LFS. The single fry could be from the Forktail furcatas, emerald Eye Rasboras, or Ember tetras. I’m thinking the furcatas because the females are always hovering over the subwassertang. Most likely this fry hatched and found a way through the slots of this container. No telling how many more hatched and were eaten (above the subwassertang and driftwood is a lot of open water and hungry, fast swimming fish).
Thinking of moving the extra guppy grass from my shrimp tank to the 29g to provide shelter for future breeding episodes.

That is pretty exciting news!

Keep looking for more. Good idea, Guppy Grass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bought a new fish.....A color combo of Betta I have had my eye on.. Getting imported from Thailand - haven't ever had a fish imported before, but the trans shipper is nearby and she has told me I can pick up the fish from her.

So here are the beauty shots link
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/434808539021211155/

I got a new Crypt,
a couple Tiger Nerites for the 12G
the only 3 Glass Cats left at the store.

Two were medium GC and one really big one, very long. Kinda was laying sideways a little in acclimation, but seemed to be okay in the tank.

So far so good.

These 3 GC will go to the 72G with the other 6. The 4 most recent before these have been really active and swim all around in the aquarium not hiding like the shorter body ones I had before them!

Thinking of getting a group of Microdevario Kubotai for the top of the 72G. Maybe putting the Guppies into the 72G. Not too sure which yet. Definitely need some fish for the top.

Back
Top Bottom