Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #6431
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Jennkp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 119
Just did a massive 25 gallon water change on the 30. Normally I do about 30- 50% every weekend since that's just been the routine for about a year now, however we added about 12 new fish 2 weeks ago. Everyone was doing great & then tonight 3 of my danios were swimming with fins out & everyone looked pale. While vacuuming the sand asked my husband to rinse the filter media in the bucket I was siphoning into & he says why, its dirty. I'll just rinse it in the sink like last time!!!! So that explains the fish & apparent mini cycle. I almost died.

Sent from my XT1060 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Jennkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #6432
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
fishlove777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ostrander, Oh
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
About the carbon at the bottom of the tank, just siphon it into a bucket. You can then slowly pour the water back into the tank (well most of it).
Thank you! Do you know if it is harmful to the fish if I put any in there before siphoning?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
fishlove777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 AM   #6433
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
fishlove777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ostrander, Oh
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennkp View Post
Just did a massive 25 gallon water change on the 30. Normally I do about 30- 50% every weekend since that's just been the routine for about a year now, however we added about 12 new fish 2 weeks ago. Everyone was doing great & then tonight 3 of my danios were swimming with fins out & everyone looked pale. While vacuuming the sand asked my husband to rinse the filter media in the bucket I was siphoning into & he says why, its dirty. I'll just rinse it in the sink like last time!!!! So that explains the fish & apparent mini cycle. I almost died.

Sent from my XT1060 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Good thing you looked! Fishies should be grateful.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
fishlove777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:47 AM   #6434
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlove777 View Post
Yesterday I emptied out roughly 17-18 gallons of water from my 20G tank because I could not get the pH down at all! It stood steady at 8.4 no matter what I did for a week. I am eager to get my fish, so I added about 7 gallons of RO (reverse osmosis) water tonight (that is all I had containers enough to fill for now.) I have driftwood in it to balance pH. I plan to add more water this week, leave it covered and allow the bubbler (if that is even what it is called) move the water around for now. I should have more water in a day or two to add so the filter can move it.
I have some questions. Is it okay to let it sit like this for the time period I am going to? Also, do I need to add aqua safe conditioners and pH balancers with RO water? I used the water care kit and it did not lower pH. Would anyone recommend that product for aquarium bacteria starting, etc.? Another thing, my filter cartridge somehow released some carbon pieces into the water. Is this harmful? How do I get it out without emptying my tank? The tank is quite heavy for me with some back/neck problems I have. I worry about dropping it to empty.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't put all ro water in your tank. I have the same problem with mine ph always sits at about 8 or 8.2. And I did some research, mainly here on aa. If you have all to water in your system you will have no hardness or alkalinity. These parameters act as a buffering capacity in your tank and prevent swings in your ph. Swing in ph are much more harmful to your fish than a steady constant ph.
Have you any way of testing gh and kh.
Also ro water generally has a low ph and as far as I know tanks cycle faster with a higher ph, and the cycle will more than likely stall at a ph of below 6.
A lot depends on what you want to stock your tank with. Live bearers prefer a higher ph.
__________________
tommyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 AM   #6435
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 170
^^ sorry I also meant to say you will get a lot more responses to this if you set up a new thread
__________________
tommyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #6436
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlove777 View Post
I have some questions. Is it okay to let it sit like this for the time period I am going to? Also, do I need to add aqua safe conditioners and pH balancers with RO water? I used the water care kit and it did not lower pH. Would anyone recommend that product for aquarium bacteria starting, etc.? Another thing, my filter cartridge somehow released some carbon pieces into the water. Is this harmful? How do I get it out without emptying my tank? The tank is quite heavy for me with some back/neck problems I have. I worry about dropping it to empty.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
First of all you do need your own thread for future reference, or at least a thread that had a similar subject. That said, a pH of 8.4 isn't necessarily a bad thing, that would be great for goldfish, though your tank size would limit you on that one. A lot fish have a tolerance of up to 7.8 and would adapt to 8.4 as long as it was stable and you acclimated them slowly.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
enrgizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #6437
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
fishlove777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ostrander, Oh
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny View Post
First of all you do need your own thread for future reference, or at least a thread that had a similar subject. That said, a pH of 8.4 isn't necessarily a bad thing, that would be great for goldfish, though your tank size would limit you on that one. A lot fish have a tolerance of up to 7.8 and would adapt to 8.4 as long as it was stable and you acclimated them slowly.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I don't remember how to make my own.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
fishlove777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #6438
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 170
Are you using the app or website
__________________
tommyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #6439
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ireland
Posts: 170
I just sent you a pm with instructions
__________________
tommyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #6440
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
VioletGoby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 141
I love watching my Jack Dempsey parents. They are so protective and attentive!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397588323778.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	233447  
__________________

__________________
VioletGoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.