What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found out that my two female guppies both decided to pop on the same day. Moved all of the baby guppies I could over to a grow out container and relocated the momma's over to a smaller environment to recover before I put them back into the 10G...also buys me time to make sure I get out all of the babies that I can. I know some have escaped my baster so far. I will find them, and catch them. :p

Did pwc on the light bulb, wineglass 5G Spec V, Riccia/moss triffle bowl, and 12 Boraras Brigittae 12G (almost PRL tank).

Added water to the other plant brandy snifter, vase and jars.

Need to do the pwc on the SW, also need to go to the lfs and get more RO/DI.

Then the 72G again. Just did a couple gallons out and adding a 5G back in because of evap.

The little bitty new Chili Rasboras are doing well I am feeding at least a little 2x per day. Will try and pick up some Cobalt coral food frozen food, they are usually out, like the last few times. It is really small and nutritious and should help them really grow!

My scheduled shipping for the Thailand imported Betta fish ended up being shipped today, not received today - miscommunication with the seller. Spoke with the trans shipper and have an odd situation - too much to try to explain, and will need to end up going late after work on Tuesday night because I work all day.

I am upset, but know the fish should be well cared for and the person who will be holding him for me is a good fish keeper. I had planned the arrival and next day with my being at home to take care of him, the day of arrival and the day after arrival to make sure he was well as possible.

At this point I won't even know if he has made it until Tuesday sometime. The trans shippers get hundreds of fish in. My little guy is just one tiny package in hundreds of others. Concerned /worried.

Made it to the fish store and grabbed 15G of RO/DI water and 2 frozen packs of Cobalt coral food. Plus a really colorful 4 pounds Dragonstone.

Fed all the tanks some coral food and they all really like it. Neons went wild.

Well, had a very odd circumstance, picked up my Betta, and found it to be not a Mustard Gas blue with bright canary yellow fins and bright blue trim, but instead a whitish peachy pink body and rosy pink fins.

Was really disappointed and understandably knew since it was all the way from Thailand I wouldn't get my fish.

Not the fish's fault.

Got the little guy settled into a 12G tote with some oak leaves and moss, a couple kinds of food and a heater.

Strange thing happened. I noticed a specific little mark on his head. Like the fish I ordered. Then after an hour a light blue edge began to appear on his tail.

And I saw a couple stripes at the front bottom dorsal fin looking similar to the fish I bought...

It could be but still looks completely different. I will post pics in a day or 2, I am working a lot in the next couple days and don't have time but all would agree it did not look the same!

I'm relatively new to Bettas and have looked at the fish from Thailand. I wonder if shipping caused him to lose his color? Maybe after a few days he'll be blue again? I'd like to know what happens . . .

I have been keeping Bettas for the most part of 17 years. Though not an expert, I am very familiar with traveling with them from moving to different states. And I have never seen a fish with such a loss of color and such dark red in his body. If it is the same fish.

Will be sharing how he comes along. With the dark reddish color I am concerned with his probable ammonia poisoning. Ideally he would have looked a little more like himself after arriving. He had been arrived for nearly 24 hours before I got to pick him up, due to the change of schedule, or misunderstanding of the shipping and arrival time, language differences / understanding possible too. I will try and get the pics loaded.

BTW forgot to mention...His pale peachy whitish body is a pale blue, fins still reddish.

Last edited:
Okay, drum roll please !!!
What I bought
60074-albums14756-picture71946.jpg

What I got
60074-albums14756-picture71944.jpg

60074-albums14756-picture71945.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a bunch of plants for the Paludarium, but haven't had enough in one block of time to do the build.

Have had a lot of fun looking around and gathering the plants so far.

Here is the Betta that was imported.
60074-albums14756-picture71948.jpg

doesn't look like this pic
60074-albums14756-picture71946.jpg

Did a 95% pwc on the Thai Betta tank and added RO to the tanks for evaporttion, did a couple small pwc onm the 5G spec, and the wine glass and the bowl a couple days ago.

Need to do the SW and the 72g.

Has he started to color up more at all? I've seen a lot of different cases where people buy a poor pale stressed out betta in a cup from petco and a year later he's a completely different looking fish.

That pic above the yellow and blue from the sellers website IS the better colored up pic of the Betta.
Still has reddish orangey with a hint of yellow fins. Not bright yellow.

It seems like the fin rot has stopped reducing his tail. In the pics of when I got him, just above this post hes in a poly bag you can see the injury to the whitish pale edges of his tail.

I see it pretty glaringly now but didn't notice as before since I think I was just so stunned by the wrong color fish I missed it. I feel even worse too that it got worse. I should have been putting in some sale and ES all along.

Let him be for a day to fast and no water change to see if all the build up of tannins would help more. I did a 75% pwc and putting him back into the larger tote after cleaning it out and sitting in a container of food for an hour to eat up.

Added more Oak leaves. Also adding in some steeped Rooiboos organic tea sold by Numi tea. Rachel O'Leary popped up a YT video last week about using Rooiboos. Black tea is really full of tannins think of how dark it is. I might try some of that tomorrow.

Long ago like almost 30 years, had found a stray cat with the infection on its tummy and its whole tummy area of skin and fur had flopped out with the bare under skin muscle showing all over (yuck!!!). Being poor and it wasn't my cat, I didn't have the money to take it to a vet, and called and asked if any of them had any advice (or would see the cat for free - "no").

One "ole" Doc told me to brew bags of black tea and take the cooled moist tea bags on the cats bare muscle as often as I could, like daily until it started to heal. He said the stuff in that is what is used for tanning leather, the tea is rich in tannins. Very interesting! And it actually worked, the cat got all better :) , and then also had kittens. :( .

Ordering a bunch of botanicals for him tonight, should come in 3 days (plus 1 day because of the holiday).

Going to pic up some Guava and IAL tomorrow.

Thinking of the cleaning out the fish storage closet again. I can't find everything I have very quickly so something is broken in the organization process. lol

Been feeding the frozen defrosted foods more often again and the fish really love it. They DO seem to act hungry a few hours later. I generally give it 12-24 hours though to make sure it is all cleaned up, also sometimes will alternate the evening bottom feeder as the heavier amount of food, then the next day switch it up and make it the shoaling fish which gets a bit more.

Yesterday afternoon fed no salt canned green beans as well mostly cleaned up lots of green been skins looking like a clear shadow. The fish are really talented in cleaning them up!

Didn't get to the lfs, to darn cold.

Quite amazing how things were done way back when you had to figure out what to do with what you could get your hands on.

The black tea was pretty amazing.

Last edited:
You have a whole closet for 'fish stuff' ? LOL....NOW 'we' understand why. Husband and I both had fish years and years ago, and it was quite simple and basic. THESE DAYS there is SO MUCH stuff on the market for both fish and tanks that just a box or two won't suffice for storage. Makes one want to add a room on to the house just for fish tanks and supplies. LOL. VERY ADDICTIVE HOBBY . by the way, we just ordered another tank...20 gal for 5 female guppies and the betta. The 5 gal is just not big enough. Can't wait for it to come. (I'm sure you know the feeling. LOL)

Back
Top Bottom