Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #6431
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just did a massive 25 gallon water change on the 30. Normally I do about 30- 50% every weekend since that's just been the routine for about a year now, however we added about 12 new fish 2 weeks ago. Everyone was doing great & then tonight 3 of my danios were swimming with fins out & everyone looked pale. While vacuuming the sand asked my husband to rinse the filter media in the bucket I was siphoning into & he says why, its dirty. I'll just rinse it in the sink like last time!!!! So that explains the fish & apparent mini cycle. I almost died.

Sent from my XT1060 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #6432
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
About the carbon at the bottom of the tank, just siphon it into a bucket. You can then slowly pour the water back into the tank (well most of it).
Thank you! Do you know if it is harmful to the fish if I put any in there before siphoning?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 AM   #6433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennkp View Post
Just did a massive 25 gallon water change on the 30. Normally I do about 30- 50% every weekend since that's just been the routine for about a year now, however we added about 12 new fish 2 weeks ago. Everyone was doing great & then tonight 3 of my danios were swimming with fins out & everyone looked pale. While vacuuming the sand asked my husband to rinse the filter media in the bucket I was siphoning into & he says why, its dirty. I'll just rinse it in the sink like last time!!!! So that explains the fish & apparent mini cycle. I almost died.

Sent from my XT1060 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Good thing you looked! Fishies should be grateful.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:47 AM   #6434
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlove777 View Post
Yesterday I emptied out roughly 17-18 gallons of water from my 20G tank because I could not get the pH down at all! It stood steady at 8.4 no matter what I did for a week. I am eager to get my fish, so I added about 7 gallons of RO (reverse osmosis) water tonight (that is all I had containers enough to fill for now.) I have driftwood in it to balance pH. I plan to add more water this week, leave it covered and allow the bubbler (if that is even what it is called) move the water around for now. I should have more water in a day or two to add so the filter can move it.
I have some questions. Is it okay to let it sit like this for the time period I am going to? Also, do I need to add aqua safe conditioners and pH balancers with RO water? I used the water care kit and it did not lower pH. Would anyone recommend that product for aquarium bacteria starting, etc.? Another thing, my filter cartridge somehow released some carbon pieces into the water. Is this harmful? How do I get it out without emptying my tank? The tank is quite heavy for me with some back/neck problems I have. I worry about dropping it to empty.

I wouldn't put all ro water in your tank. I have the same problem with mine ph always sits at about 8 or 8.2. And I did some research, mainly here on aa. If you have all to water in your system you will have no hardness or alkalinity. These parameters act as a buffering capacity in your tank and prevent swings in your ph. Swing in ph are much more harmful to your fish than a steady constant ph.
Have you any way of testing gh and kh.
Also ro water generally has a low ph and as far as I know tanks cycle faster with a higher ph, and the cycle will more than likely stall at a ph of below 6.
A lot depends on what you want to stock your tank with. Live bearers prefer a higher ph.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 AM   #6435
Aquarium Advice Activist

^^ sorry I also meant to say you will get a lot more responses to this if you set up a new thread
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #6436
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlove777 View Post
I have some questions. Is it okay to let it sit like this for the time period I am going to? Also, do I need to add aqua safe conditioners and pH balancers with RO water? I used the water care kit and it did not lower pH. Would anyone recommend that product for aquarium bacteria starting, etc.? Another thing, my filter cartridge somehow released some carbon pieces into the water. Is this harmful? How do I get it out without emptying my tank? The tank is quite heavy for me with some back/neck problems I have. I worry about dropping it to empty.

First of all you do need your own thread for future reference, or at least a thread that had a similar subject. That said, a pH of 8.4 isn't necessarily a bad thing, that would be great for goldfish, though your tank size would limit you on that one. A lot fish have a tolerance of up to 7.8 and would adapt to 8.4 as long as it was stable and you acclimated them slowly.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #6437

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny View Post
First of all you do need your own thread for future reference, or at least a thread that had a similar subject. That said, a pH of 8.4 isn't necessarily a bad thing, that would be great for goldfish, though your tank size would limit you on that one. A lot fish have a tolerance of up to 7.8 and would adapt to 8.4 as long as it was stable and you acclimated them slowly.

I don't remember how to make my own.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #6438
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are you using the app or website
Old 04-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #6439
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just sent you a pm with instructions
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #6440
Aquarium Advice Activist

I love watching my Jack Dempsey parents. They are so protective and attentive!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397588323778.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	233447  

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com