Originally Posted by fishlove777
I adopted three Gold Dust Mollies and a Spotted Cory Cat. Did my first feedings and watched them poop to High Heaven! Tomorrow it is back to the store for the test kits I forgot today for the water changes I am sure will be needed, tomorrow.
Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Tank looks good. Do you plan to add substrate or a background later? A cheap and decent alternative for a background is some black cardboard taped on. It will show up the goldust mollies nicely. Cories are on my wish list, not sure what variety i want at the moment though. I like the look of Mollies but their pooping turns me off a bit. Are you buying the API liquid test kits? They're reportedly the most accurate and widely used by experienced aquarists. The test strips get bad reviews for accuracy.
Anyway many things happened towards fulfilling a long to do list. Long post ahead so skip it if you aren't a big fan of reading.
Today i bought home my slightly less than listed sized tank. Had a look beforehand and the stand was included in the tanks length, so a its a 3 foot standing tank + 1 foot tall stand. No problems, just means a shuffle of how i place them in their new stand (stand is in the to do list). Glass enough available to do the repairs still. Largish price reduction was good too. Wound up paying $20 which was less than the glass end panel for the 40g and have a 30ish gal
3 foot for nothing except resealing costs. Talked about leaving it and he said $20 if it's gone now, i said sold. Now i just need to get off my rear and complete the tear down and rebuild of two tanks, plus 1 stand to house them both. I have filters to fit both, need heaters and lights.
Projects already in the works-
3 foot drilled tank overflow and sump assembly- Completed the research i needed to make a workable sump with the parts i have. I needed a little more direction to move confidently with this. One of three tasks requiring more attention tomorrow is to assemble the sump compartments. Some glass cutting, a bit of drilling siliconing parts in place and it's ready to be placed on a stand. speaking of which.
3 foot tank stand with space for sump-
Everything was cut to size for this stand's frame last weekend or before. I could have assembled it then (frame only) but still needed wood to provide platforms for the display and sump to go on. I have the wood now. Assembly has begun. Platforms need completion, then the legs get attached, more sanding and painting/ or laquering and i can set up the tank. I'll enclose the frame later and add some dressing wood to the stand soon to hide some of the substrate.
And more good news for me. 1 thing i can now cross of my to do list and a reward for me being a hoarder. Backgournd- I picked up an abandoned tank with some very sick fish and a broken HOB
filter months ago. I had given up on the HOB
"for now" maybe in january, after an impeller clean resulted in a still dead HOB
. Luckily i kept it because a few days ago i used up the last of my hydrogen peroxide to clean it's impeller shaft and the shaft housing. I forget to reassemble and test till today when i replaced the peroxide, but like they said in the frankenstein movie, "IT'S ALIVE!". And working like a charm, not a hint of noise and flow rate is amazing. H204 (if that is the correct chemical formula for hydrogen peroxide) is an amazing tool for the aquarium keeper. Have a read before using it though because in high concentration it can harm fish and do some damage to your skin. I use 3% concentration which still stung a little when splashed on my finger. Running water cleans it off easily though.
If anyone wants me to do a DIY tutorial for how i got the filter running and made the seized impeller as free spining as new again let me know. I plan to clean all my impellers out this weekend (as i do water changes) using the same method so it will be no trouble to make a pictorial DIY.
I have some cycled sponge to fit the filter and soon the tank will be used for a Betta display tank. A filter without a powerhead was the last required ingredient for the Betta project, aside from a Betta. I was postponing because i wanted some cash around for supplies for the two larger tanks that are soon to be re-assembled. Babysitting a Betta made me want one of these little fish. I'm looking at doing 2 females and setting up a breeding program sometime soon. Research required first though.
Also bought some meds and a nice bite of goldvine driftwood for a tank while it was 20% off. Cross 1 thing off the to do list add another few. I'll hopefully have three tanks cycling within about 2-3 weeks though and today was when all the parts fell into place to motivate me for the tasks ahead. Now it's a matter of doing the required work. I have three of my largest tanks to get running though and i love the scaping stage so i'll try and push through all the work before i buy anything more than a Betta to stock any tanks. I have a pair of BN plecos needing a bigger tank soon who should be happy when i complete the builds.
Anyway thats enough typing for now. It's been a busy day when i throw in a bit of housework and a WC
on a tank thats developing greenwater. Might need a 3 day blackout.