What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got back from a four night vacation, the first time leaving for more than a day since I started EI fertilization.

In prep of the vacation, I dosed about 25-35% more ferts the last two days prior, and then curtailed the lighting by two hours each day. I also made a "blind" out of some extra poster board from one of my son's school projects to block out excess ambient light, now that it's summer daylight hours.

Got back in today and the first thing I did after unloading our car was tend to the tank. I'm pleased to say everything looks in order... all fish and inverts are well and the plants grew quite a bit. Trimmed back a good amount of the plants, and did a 50% WC. Here's the tank after the WC.

S9wED3Kl.jpg

I finally got the plants and water put in this discus tank build over the weekend. Got the canister filters and heaters put in and running. Dosed ferts and ammonia to get the ball rolling. Also, was surprised with good news.....the 40g breeder tank is cycled and ready to house fish for quarantine. First round of fish ordered online as well which consisted of cardinal tetras and Adolfo Cory cats.IMG_20190526_181515.jpg

I finally got the plants and watersou put in this discus tank build over the weekend. Got the canister filters and heaters put in and running. Dosed ferts and ammonia to get the ball rolling. Also, was surprised with good news.....the 40g breeder tank is cycled and ready to house fish for quarantine. First round of fish ordered online as well which consisted of cardinal tetras and Adolfo Cory cats.View attachment 313027[/QUOTE

Sounds perfect!

Worked non stop to get my house back in order after the never ending work we needed done. There is still some left to complete, but almost there.
Moved a few tanks and cleaned up all around them. Glass tops off and scrubbed, outside and in stands and their shelves. Put away all the foods, all counters cleared of clutter, fish supplies and otherwise.

Did pwc on 3 tanks and added evaporated water/top off. Fed all before the cleaning.

Swept around them all and or wiped iff all their tables. too

I'm like dead exhausted now. May not be able to move around ever again lol...

EI water change Sunday, and then some. :)

Installed a lily pipe (early Father's Day gift to myself), and then kicked off a major rescape to half the tank. Pulled out the two Amazon swords, they were getting way too big. Couldn't believe the root system on those things! Nearly dragged the other half of the tank out with them. Not sure what to do with them, they are sitting semi submerged in vases at the moment.

Anyways, I'm clearing space for some new stem plants, hopefully this will steer the tank in a good direction. Given that it's my first try at a heavily planted tank, I can't say that I'm fully happy with the way it is, but I'm getting there. :D

EI water change Sunday, and then some. :)

Installed a lily pipe (early Father's Day gift to myself), and then kicked off a major rescape to half the tank. Pulled out the two Amazon swords, they were getting way too big. Couldn't believe the root system on those things! Nearly dragged the other half of the tank out with them. Not sure what to do with them, they are sitting semi submerged in vases at the moment.

Anyways, I'm clearing space for some new stem plants, hopefully this will steer the tank in a good direction. Given that it's my first try at a heavily planted tank, I can't say that I'm fully happy with the way it is, but I'm getting there. :D

Couple of good offers here in the classifieds, happy early Father's Day!

So this last week got so much done around the house, I have some time to just enjoy watching the tanks and feed the fish.

Directly in front of the relaxing chair is now my temporary 46G SW. There are just the 3 fish, 2 Blue/green Chromis and my elderly little Yellow Clown Goby.

Thinking a little with which fish to add in the future. Will be an 80G SW in a few weeks. Corner is half way there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also thinking again about dwarf shrimp. Trying to decide about which kind.

Got 4 pwc's done. 3 left, SW and 72G and Thai Betta.

Fasted the Thai Betta.

Have Blue Mystery snails mating 2 days in a row...

So far the other 3 clutches didn't do anything, and am still waiting for a new clutch in the Cray tank to hatch. Where they are mating right now... :eek:

Cleaned out a bunch of string algae from the 5G Spec V. Need to get back up with the water changes. I am thinking of selecting a new liquid fert.

Fish are doing pretty well overall. Don't have a pic loaded, but took a few of the Congo Tetras. There is one larger more developed dominant male and a couple smaller ones but seemingly many females. Probably a very good ratio. They are getting some color and very pretty. They group together pretty well and I really like them.

Getting up to the point to get the stuff for the terrarium, bought one plant today for it. I think was a Peperomia Ruby Cascade.

I think I will buy some special substrate for the Isopods. Or at least look carefully at what they use, I used several of the things but also organic soil...

Been too busy! Hoping to stop at the lfs and a nursery tomorrow.

Got to the plant store and not the lfs.

Found several things (too many $$) for the terrarium/vivarium, the cacti, potted garden, the houseplants, one pitcher plant for the water tub, and a coffee tree seedling for a friend.

They had some Malaysian driftwood at the plant store too, misc. medium sizes for 14.99. No rocks though.

Went to the plant store.

Found more than I should have!

Little cacti for the potted cacti garden.

Ferns and terrarium plants.

Pitcher plant for the water garden pot.

Removed 3 Aiptasia from the SW rock, used a tool to cut off pieces of rock. Was as careful as possible.

Went to the W-Mart and got my big glass jar with lid for the "for now" terrarium. It isn't the shape I want but will have to do.

Anchor Heritage 2 Gal Hill Jar $14.97 Found in the Kitchen section.

The huge bowl shape vase located in the plastic plants section was 9.99 but i am afraid the moisture will be gone in no time so having the lid is a plus.

Making my first terrarium. I can be a plant killer.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Caught my female Mystery snail crawling out of the tank via the intake tube while I was repotting some plants and getting ready for the Cacti garden and the terrarium.

Added a profilux 4 and calcium reactor to my reef tank. Did some trimming in the planted. Found the leak in the plumbing on my pond.

Ordered moss and Lichens for my terrarium jar for the Isopods and /or Paludarium depending upon what I end up in the "mix".

Blue Mystery snail laid yet another clutch and the last still didn't hatch any yet /the previous 4 were duds I guess. This is number 5....

They mated 3 nights in a row and then eggs yesterday 18th.

I feel like this last batch should have hatched as there was constant monitoring -water level stayed good.

It seemes a little bit dark color maybe greyish like the Blue Mystery snails, but nothing yet. Would like one clutch to hatch.

Ordered moss and Lichens for my terrarium jar for the Isopods and /or Paludarium depending upon what I end up in the "mix".

Blue Mystery snail laid yet another clutch and the last still didn't hatch any yet /the previous 4 were duds I guess. This is number 5....

They mated 3 nights in a row and then eggs yesterday 18th.

I feel like this last batch should have hatched as there was constant monitoring -water level stayed good.

It seemes a little bit dark color maybe greyish like the Blue Mystery snails, but nothing yet. Would like one clutch to hatch.

Fingers crossed! They sound great colour.

The newest Mystery Snail eggs look nice and fresh, oddly the old ones which were turning greyish, look to be rotted?!? I have some pics I will post them and others, like the 3 terrariums /last week and the terrestrial mosses ones I made today. One was a cutie, the other just a container really to hold them for now.

Rotten snail eggs I guess maybe growing fungus or mold
60074-albums14653-picture72187.jpg

The newest ones
60074-albums14653-picture72188.jpg

The photos aren't oriented correctly in the present view, but you get the idea.

Never have had that happen before, they usually just dry out and crumble away.

More photos with correct oriented edits, lol tomorrow.

Big clean out for the 72G 110 A/C filter, and 65% pwc.

Last edited:
They did all the work, lol!

So a few days back I got a bulk purchase deal off of CL of reptile stuff for $25.
Mainly it was because of the Zoo Med strip plug and some tweezers and a heat pad I can use that for the terrarium. Haven't really had time to look through the rest.

Doing pwc today and the next couple days.

Baby snails are roaming around the tank. They seem pretty happy.

Just took a few pics of two of my betta tanks. Thought I'd share.
20190706_201652.jpgIMG_20190707_172950.jpgIMG_20190707_172932.jpgIMG_20190707_172804.jpgIMG_20190707_172834.jpg

D-Fish Beautiful fish and Aponogeton!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Returned the wrong sand at the lfs, and found a cute little Coral Banded Shrimp which I brought home.

Pwc on
46G SW,
7G wine glass,
5G Spec V Picasso - Betta,
12G Edge Chilis and Pencilfish
6.5G Phoenix - Thai Betta,
12G Mr. Aqua Snail tank with babies.

Few days back did water changes in all the plant vases with the Ramshorns, 1 or 2 per vase. About 6 vases.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
72G trying for tomorrow with FX-5 filter clean and water change.

Lost one of the plants - the Golden Baby Tears in the terrarium. Too moist.

Moss Turtle bowl is okay. Put it outside under the deck, mostly shade a little sun peaks through the leaves for a short time in the evening.

Otherwise things are looking good.

Thinking of checking out the other lfs tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom