What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This weekend I cleaned the ornaments and scrubbed the front and side glass. All of the aquatic population have settled in. I am looking into adding Chopstick Snails into the fray to aid in sand cleaning.

Hello AA...

Found what appears to be an old means of cycling a tank with fish. No testing is required. Maybe is was used prior to testing kits. Anyway, I tried the method and cycled a 100 gallons of water with some Fancy Goldfish, Rosy Minnows, White clouds, Guppies and some Comets a few weeks ago and it worked fine. Anyway, here it is:

Fill the tank and set up the equipment. Add some individual stems of some aquatic floating plant like Water sprite. Allow the tank to run for several days without any fish. After a few days, add 3 to 4 fish for every 10 gallons of water. Feed the fish a little every day or two. Remove and replace a third of the water every three to fours days for a couple of weeks. Then, remove and replace half the water weekly for as long as you keep the fish.

That's it. I now just remove and replace half the water weekly. The Minnows, Guppies and White clouds are reproducing for sure, don't believe the tank is really set up for the Goldfish to breed, but they're as active as the others.

B

Autumnsky
Just a quick observation for what is worth and something you probably already know, but I have once again been surprised by the algae eating abilities of Amanos. I had 15 in quarantine and since I had an abundance of algae clumps in the Oscar tank I decided to use it to feed them. They have eaten almost all it. If the other tank occupants will be safe I highly recommend some Amanos for your algae problem

Autumnsky
Just a quick observation for what is worth and something you probably already know, but I have once again been surprised by the algae eating abilities of Amanos. I had 15 in quarantine and since I had an abundance of algae clumps in the Oscar tank I decided to use it to feed them. They have eaten almost all it. If the other tank occupants will be safe I highly recommend some Amanos for your algae problem

They are quite unbelievable. I have seen a couple youtube demos. Msjinkzed just added 98 Amanos to the most frightful green mess. Haven't seen the update yet.

I added maybe 5 in the 12G and I went away on my trip. Do not see them in there so they might be hiding or dead. They were from a big box lfs and likely just got in from a shipment and since it was an unexpected trip I didn't have time to source them from another source.

That is a really good suggestion about getting more to address the issue. After not seeing them when I got back I just dismissed that. It really is the ugly duckling tank right now. My frightful embarrassment. :oops: I will take a super embarrassing pic.

Left the light off for a few days. It did seem to make the algae on the glass half dead. Then I got freaked thinking that its dying off would mess with the water parameters in the tank..... Oh how we worry about our fish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is what I am so excited (and exhausted) about

Before mess by my back door fish tank and plant corner

Previously just did a temporary 2 commercial cafe tables together to hold stuff till I decided what to do in that corner.

And as seems to happen it was like this for a year or so... I kept getting more plants too. Some of them are still out on the covered porch.

60074-albums13946-picture72226.jpg

This is the after pic

Found a West Elm Console table which goes pretty well with my coffee bar cabinet directly next to it.

Cabinet cost $35 and an hour drive each way... There is a bit of a bow in the center. Will either use some boards to strengthen it or remove the 12G which was placed on the left to take advantage of the extra support.

60074-albums13946-picture72225.jpg

The tanks had to get half the water removed in the spec V and almost 3/4 of the water removed as the rocks are heavy.

Had hoped to slide it over but no such luck today. The Console cabinet is about 5-6 inches taller.

too close for comfort
60074-albums13946-picture72229.jpg

Measured the space and 48" was perfect EXCEPT I measured at the table height and it was at the lower part of the wine glass. Higher up was at the wider part of the glass so I needed to move the coffee bar over 6 inches and then the console over as well. Now it is good.

Delapool keeps kidding me about the tiny stem on this thing snapping.....

See how small it is? Danger, Danger, like a car that get too close to something, beep....., beep...., beep, beepbeepbeepbeepbeep!!!!!!!

60074-albums13946-picture72228.jpg

Cutie pie ADF

Sore spots have healed on the elbows, knees, feet, nose, probably ammonia burn from shipping.
60074-albums13946-picture72230.jpg

Have to still get the large garage strip plug added in the back - there are maybe 10 plug spots. I will be able to eliminate the double cords.

Considering some kind of light where the shelf is in the center for a few plants.

Also been considering moving the Male Guppies to the 72G for some top activity. And could maybe do a larger tank than the 12G for a few groups of nano fish.

And then the 12G Mr. Aqua on the cabinet would be replace by a Wabi-Kusa grown in a aquarium style water tray. Been drooling over a few instagram beauties. That would lighten the weight issue and make room for more plants. ;)

That 98 amano shrimp going in the algae tank

Last edited:
Had to bury one of my male Furcata rainbows. Two of my males were displaying to each other over the past few days to (what i was hoping) secure the females for breeding.

The male who lost went to some of the corners and stayed near the top of the tank. Nothing appeared wrong with him. His behavior didnt change after a the weekly water change. Within 24 hours of him hiding and being slow moving at the top plants I moved him to a sick tank and he died within an hour of being in there. Really upsetting as I've never seen behavior like this. There were no wounds, no other fish acting funny, no gulping for air, etc. Almost like he just gave up living. (I did dose paraguard in the main tank and the sick tank)

Here's a picture of one of the males stretching.
Z9TxYAF.jpg

Long while back I had a similar situation with and Angelfish male who basically has his mate taken by the other male who had lost his female mate. He seemed to just give up after a few days of sparring and died in a day of hiding in the back corner :( sorry to hear that.

This morning woke to seeing a new Molly fry at the bottom of my tank swimming with snails. My first attempt to rescue it failed... Out swam my net into a school of adult Mollies. After that I didn't see it any more, I thought it was eaten. Awhile later I noticed more Molly fries at top of the tank. Those I was able to rescue. So far the live count of fry is 6. I think they are the Gold Panda Mollies.

20190911_061655.jpg

My hastily setup sanctuary. The photo conversion appears to have diminished the clarity. The are those fuzzy things to the right are a few of them. I'll try to post a better picture later.

20190911_075359.jpg

Last edited:
I just mixed up a new batch of fertilizers, micro and macro. It’s been a few days and I’ve been worried about things getting too out of whack without them so I’m glad I didn’t wait too much longer.

Live bearers tend to be drop and go - not really nurturing. It is fun to see them grow up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So it is getting down to decision time for picking shrimp. PRL are not available from the 2 previous sources I had planned for. Found a new source but the cost is SO expensive I doubt I will go with it. Around 20-$25 per shrimp for PRL. I think for that price would select a more sought out shrimp. My idea would be $12 as the higher price I might pay.

So my next option is Golden Bee. There are some peach color which are beautiful. They were the low quality - Golden yellow and pure white being the 2 acceptable colors. But people really like them, and now harder to find, and also some people are thinking that red bolts are the same as the Golden Bee peach color, they are a different side of the breeding lines, shell coloration is different.

Medium to higher grade Blue Bolts.

Bloody Mary Neos.

Or bright orange - large body/ German breeder developed line - Sakura.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```

Anyway...

Was able to pick up some of the Cobra Endler males from the lfs. They only got 6 in, 2 looked poor but I took them anyway as maybe could get them to come around. But 2 died the same evening. 4 made it a couple days now.

3 more Ottos also in QT.

Tonight I picked up 5 really small White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Tried to get some from the other lfs but they were not in stock. And one mixed Guppy male kind of striking looking. Gold and white and speckled with a yellowish tale.

They are in a air bubbler /heated 5G bucket.

The super exciting thing I got tonight too, was about 15 blue shell Ramshorn snails. For FREE because they are "pest" snails. :D

Going to do a 2G pwc on the Guppy Mr. Aqua to keep these new guys essentially in QT in best possible water and also feeding because some need some extra food. Need to vac the muck from the pebbles tomorrow too. It is scary how fast it builds up when over feeding...

Loving the new $35. cabinet SOOO much I will be hunting for another thing. And trying to narrow down the Aquarium wall side of the family room.

Today I attempted to catch the female Gold Panda Molly and place her in fry net, but she was much too fast. The males, sometimes 4 at a time, chase and bump her around the tank. :-( I know it is a normal thing, but geez! I did manage to rescue another Molly fry yesterday. So that brings the total to 7 fry rescued from adult mouths.

Checked the chems today all is well. Also created a makeshift curtain to cover the open area of the tank stand. It seems to be a perfect way to hide the aquarium stuff (food, water treatment, filters, etc.)

The surprise was - and apologies for the terrible pic but through the algae studded glass it was not bad - a new baby Nannostomus marginatus /Dwarf Pencilfish.

The green strands to the right, are the threads of moss so you can see the fish is pretty small.

60074-albums14787-picture72233.jpg

And there were 4 Amano shrimp.

60074-albums14787-picture72235.jpg

60074-albums14787-picture72241.jpg

There were 8 Dwarf Pencilfish including the 2 offspring.

3 Amano one died in transition

7 Boraras Brigittae

2 Blue Mystery Snails

They were transitioned from a low pH over the afternoon to tap pH and moved over to the 5G Spec V after a 3 gallon water change.

The Betta and catfish from the 5G went to the 12G. So when it changes to a shrimp tank it won't be so crazy to catch 2 fish.

How long have you had your chili's and what PH do you keep them at? I have a few and they are doing great but I have about 7.6ph and the store I got them from kept high ph as well. Everywhere I read talks about a low 6 for PH. I had 3 in a ten gal for about 4 months and recently lost one, he was a solo swimmer though. Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom