Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #6541
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat364 View Post
Wow! Snail overload! Mine don't seem to be as breeding-happy as yours. Either that or they morphed into pond snails :P
LOL
They have been in there for 2 years and I have only given away a few last year, and then about 40 of them just a month ago or so. They DO seem pretty happy. For most of the first year they were in a baby guppy grow out, so they got tons of extra food to eat.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #6542
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah. My crazy pond snail population is in a zebra danio grow out so they do get a bit too much food. Guess that Hikari First Bites is good for snail babies too!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #6543
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Yeah. My crazy pond snail population is in a zebra danio grow out so they do get a bit too much food. Guess that Hikari First Bites is good for snail babies too!
Assassin snails... I am considering putting my 2 assassin snails in this tank and see if they like these. They are super cleaners so I like them, and pond snails. but I am weird

Today I am cleaning out my planted bowl and adding new old tank water to it for a little ferts.

Having to add a little substrate to the presently bare bottom Chi tank. Because I kept seeing my Betta heading straight down and then swimming sideways at the bottom of the tank. Thinking he might be sick I went and checked and the bottom is like a mirror, so he keeps thinking he is charging and flaring at another fish!!!

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

Old 05-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #6544
Elephant nose Finatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Cleaned out the snail bucket and extra plants in 2 buckets. Had received some plants from a swap and they were in the top of the bucket to get the most light. 3 small Echinodorus angustifolia - Vesuvius Sword Which is REALLY fun and interesting, 3 little bitty Blyxa Japonica. Some Riccia or some sort of Crystal Wort the size of a nickle, looks barely alive right now. Not too sure.

But the real fun, was that I kinda forgot that there were 2 Assassin snails which were a bonus, at the time I got them I put them into the bucket with the most pond snails and therefore saved what few reds I had left. They had already gone to town and there were a dozen empty shells of the little guys.

So I picked out tiny snails from the buckets from the size of a pin tip, some newly hatched reds, to mostly babies, but some the size of a dot, to give the snails something to eat, and save the ones I really wanted and it was good to see a few left from one of my original Grand daddy blue grey Ramshorns!

Rinsed and cleaned the plants and moss.

Changed the water for the Betta girls and got all that back into their containers.

Last night the Elephant Ear Betta went to his new home, and the report this morning, was that he was doing fine.

So in the last 2 days, I have emptied and reduced one bucket and the 2.5G mini bowfront. The mistaken male Betta that was in the female Betta cup needs to go back to the store and get exchanged. HE wasn't in the "she" plan and I can't justify another tank for him, he originally killed the 2 lil babies I first had. Sad, but it wasn't his fault he was in the wrong cup.

Here are a couple pics I thought were fun.

The Anubias plant I got from the Colorado Aquarium Society aution had a flower, and this week I found a new bud. The 1st pic is the two together, then the bud and then the flower.

When I fed the fish some sinking wafers and I came back to check on them I found this!

Bowl o snails anyone?

This little guy was upset the snails had dog piled, urm, snail piled on the wafer, so I had to add a little more.

Did 75% pwc on 5G and hooked up filter
Yikes! That's a lot of snails thought my tank had plenty
Added a couple of baby viv snail's to my tank going to grow them out before trying them in with Gonzo hopefully he'll leave these alone. Fresh bloodworm for him tonight.
Fed my African shrimp spirulina powder and cucumber they seem to like that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #6545
Aquarium Advice Freak

Might have to try some assassins. Although even though they'd be going in a tank that's already set up, my mom and sis don't like seeing any more aquatic creatures coming into the house. And I'm not a fan of putting killers in with living things it makes me feel sad
Old 05-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #6546
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Might have to try some assassins. Although even though they'd be going in a tank that's already set up, my mom and sis don't like seeing any more aquatic creatures coming into the house. And I'm not a fan of putting killers in with living things it makes me feel sad
I understand. Mostly they hide under the sand and you never see anything except empty snail shells. They rarely come out.

Community Rules

Old 05-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #6547
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh dear! Just found a zebra danio fry swimming erratically. He is swimming in a corkscrew. Anyone know what could be the problem? I think it may be that one of his fins is hurt, the danios just move so fast I can't see. The others were picking on him, so I put him in quarantine. Will he be okay by himself? Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #6548
Aquarium Advice Freak

I figured out the problem. His right fin isn't working! I don't know why though...I'm worried about him.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:28 AM   #6549
Aquarium Advice Addict

Topped off the tanks, still trying to get my nitrates up for my poor water column plants. 2 weeks since water change and parameters still look beautiful (for the fish) Nitrates still below 10 though . Mystifies me. But glad to not have to do as many WC! The shrimp babies are getting big, noticed two of the original females are newly berried! Zebra Danio with rock stuck in her mouth this morning seems to be fine now, which is good. My otto cats are doing faaaaaaaaaaabulous. Probably need to give them another cucumber tomorrow. Mr.Betta is not picking on them, and apparently though he killed 3 of the ghost shrimp withing a week of putting them in, the 4th is buddy-buddy with him. Also, I think Mr.Betta needs a pea.....poor guy. Theodore (BN Pleco) still hates cucumbers, trying algae wafers, but everyone else like those too, and it's hard to remember to feed the fish at bed time. Grow out tank finally clearing up after rearranging plants (dirted). So impatient for plants to grow (again waiting for the nitrates to rise!) Root feeders are doing well, but column feeders are crying.
venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 AM   #6550
Aquarium Advice Addict

Started to dose calcium in my nano tank as it's all SPS so was draining it a bit

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com