What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still recovering from two day jaunt to Honolulu... A total of 22 hours in the air round trip.

Returned to a sick Dalmatian Molly. His eyes were swollen, possibly popeye... Tried using aquarium salt to treat, which seemed to work, but he passed a few days later. He refused to eat. No other fish appear to be affected. Chems were great...

Performed 50% pwc. Noticed a 10th Molly fry, but it is in the community section of the tank near the Cholla wood. I pushed a few Moss Balls closer to the wood. I think it is using hollow sections of the Cholla wood as a hiding place.

Maybe get another Cholla to put there.

Water change time usually what I do when there is a dead fish, even if the water tests are okay. Help dilute whatever odd thing might be in the water which you can't test for, jic.

I have 3 pieces in there about 7" long each.

That's good!

`````````
Decided to clean out the canister filter instead of the basic water change or cleaning the substrate tonight, maybe will do some substrate vac'ing as well.
Wow there was a bunch of muck in there, so much.

I can not say enough about how great these filters work - Fluval FX-5, hugely recommend one for a 40G on up tank.

Once again I forgot about taking the intake and out flow tubes and rinsing them out, what a gross mess blowing through when I plugged it back in. :facepalm:

Added a large amount of additional ceramic media to make the baskets full. Did a medium rinse out. Will be feeding enough to make sure the BB stay well fed and also the muck from the tubes will have some extra gunk to help out the new media. 15 minutes later the tank was no longer clouded with gunk. Looks perfectly clear an hour later.

Saw the Guppy momma hiding last night and today I found a few babies. She was a bit large but not huge, thinking younger momma, so maybe the other Guppies ate the other babies but added two large handfuls of the Dwarf Water Lettuce with large roots for hiding and maybe food source as well. Gave a little pinch of Hikari first bites.

Momma number 2 is getting close I think a few more days probably. Waiting a week after if there are no further Oto deaths to move the fish out to their new spaces.

Had planned to move them this week but with the death of the other Oto will wait a little longer.

Last edited:
I would like to write a note about this.
Whether the guppy female will soon give birth, I can see in the body fullness, and in the black spot.
So I take out such a female a few days before. I put it in a small aquarium (20x20x30cm) On the Glasboden I have shards of a clay pot, with the hollowing down.
Above is a floating plant with long roots. (Ceratopteris)

If the female throws, the small fish immediately hide under the shards. After some time they come out cautiously and ascend in the root beard to surface. There they are on top of the leaves. They have to fill the bubble with some air. Otherwise, floor slips can occur.

With this method no juvenile is lost.

I hope you can read it. Give a signal. My writing function at ADVICE is disturbed.

I would like to write a note about this.
Whether the guppy female will soon give birth, I can see in the body fullness, and in the black spot.
So I take out such a female a few days before. I put it in a small aquarium (20x20x30cm) On the Glasboden I have shards of a clay pot, with the hollowing down.
Above is a floating plant with long roots. (Ceratopteris)

If the female throws, the small fish immediately hide under the shards. After some time they come out cautiously and ascend in the root beard to surface. There they are on top of the leaves. They have to fill the bubble with some air. Otherwise, floor slips can occur.

With this method no juvenile is lost.

I hope you can read it. Give a signal. My writing function at ADVICE is disturbed.

Thank you for the advice. I will set up a new tank tomorrow for the other momma.

I have plenty of spare tanks, just running out of room to put them. :flowers: It has been about 6 years since saving Guppy babies at my house!

DSC-1306.jpghttp:
Very nice fish. Simple, but also complicated.
Children are very happy about their first young guppies. That's important for our hobby.
With luck we have also very beautiful colors and veil.
DSC-0392.jpg

DSC-1306.jpghttp:
Very nice fish. Simple, but also complicated.
Children are very happy about their first young guppies. That's important for our hobby.
With luck we have also very beautiful colors and veil.
DSC-0392.jpg

Those are really beautiful!
I have some similar varieties as you, some nearly identical will post more pics of them later, this is the only one I could get to post yesterday
60074-albums13946-picture72266.jpg

This is the blunder from the intake and outflow tubes when changing the canister filter...

intake side at the same moment as the below pic - this side looks fine!
60074-albums11380-picture72267.jpg

But this is what the outflow side looks like with gurgling and burping scum everywhere - at the same exact time as the other side of the tank so sparkly clean
60074-albums11380-picture72268.jpg

That is a cute little guy - and brave next to the BIG fish, lol!

Well I made a trip to the reptile store, and finally bought springtails 6.99 and did not have to pay shipping. They came in a small deli container with charcoal media/substrate and a few pieces of rice and something like a fruit piece which was just beginning to grow some mold, which they probably like...???... I asked how many were in there and he was like, I don't know - uh there's no way of telling.

I talked to him about some "pet" millipedes. Millipedes molt, I didn't know that until today. But I saw one after molting with the outer part under him and all shiny new looking.

He had a decent number of varieties of Isopods: Dairy cows, Yellow Spots, Dwarf Purple, Dwarf White, Giant something and Powder Orange. Not ready to branch out yet unless they're Rubber Ducky Isopods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any how, I bought the maybe the last round of Guppies for awhile. The CAS auction is in a few weeks so will be hunting there for blues and purples.

Have 2 Blue Lyre tails, 1 fancy red tail, 1 Snakeskin and 2 Cobra Endlers.

Contemplated a few of the WCMM but one of the fish was swimming a bit jerky (more then the usual type) and wasn't comfortable, just in case it was some illness.

And a bag of Fir Bark on clearance half price. Figured it was a good terrarium addition, maybe good for the paludarium.

Asked about some substrates for the critters and he commented he had some ABG substrate in bulk and he sold me a couple cups. So again no shipping cost and only went out of the way about 15 minutes to get it. We had bought a couple Chameleons over the years from them. They were still in business after 25 years, though changed hands. It was nice to see them still around, the critters were in really good conditions too.

He suggested Green Tree Frogs in case I ever do up the small Paludarium.

Last edited:
One of Gold Mystery Snails is either dead or dying. It was on the bottom of the tank on its side and partially out of its shell. This will make the third one to die over the last two months. The water parameters are good. Can mating stress them out?

On a happier nite... The Molly babies are getting bigger. And the one growing up in with the adults is still thriving very well. Lately it as been venturing further away for its favorite hiding place.

At different times, I also seem to have a loss of Mystery snails - right now for one, I have one looking poorly and one may have died in different tanks and in different conditions and not the same amount of foods or types.

~~~~~~~~~~

The striped pinkish one are always the ones which die soonest.

This time it is a Golden unknown alive or not, and a Blue looking in active. Going to do a water change and see if that perks either of them up.

Didn't order my shrimp since our weather was going to be 23F on shipping day.

Had to put a heater in the 20G long tank of green water and a few snails in hopes they will be alright for a super cold day and a half.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```````

Salty side musings

Found some unusual creatures in the SW I think they are like little oyster like shellfish. Have been watching thee 2 and now saw a 3rd and it seems they have moved just a little bit over the last month or 2 on the rock they are on.

And some white sponge I think and found a new green striped red mushroom baby. Lots more coralline and it is being eaten to some degree by some snails, or if not eaten, just mowed through the center perhaps. Considering looking for a doser for the SW as my lack of consistent Calcium and trace mineral drops for the tank is not ideal.

It seems that the Cherub Angel is eating a little of the nuisance algae from the Macro Algae Black Codium which I had taken out from the basket after cleaning up a bunch of bits off of it. Still had some on there and the Angel may be the one eating it.

Did see the Clown fish yank of a chunk of something from the rock with the Yellow Polyps on it.

Also seems that some snail or aquarium glass dwelling tiny creature had babies. I need to find my stronger magnifying glass to get a better read on them.

They started off in a 1cm circle when I noticed them and have been slowly over the days trqaveling farther from the center, mostly in a grapefruit sized space but some are over a foot away.

The fish are about the same, Pygmy /Cherub Angel is shy and flits in and out of the rock work as quick as a blink. The Yellow Clown Goby my probably 5 year old fish I worry is getting old and I like him so much. The Blue Green Chromis pair seem to be good, and okay with the growing Ora Gold x Lightening Maroon Clown fish.

Can't wait to see if the white on him turns golden like the one parent (Golden Nugget) or tend towards icy blue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Other than the 2 sad Mystery Snails all the other fish seem to be doing well.

Midnite - btw - did a water change on the tank with the slugginsh snail and immediately just taking out the water started the MS moving around.

Did a 50% and the MS already moved up to the top and over to one side of the tank. More activity than I have seen for quite awhile. (y)

The other MS had moved away from the spot it seemed laying sideways and not really going anywhere.

~~~~~~~~~~

What I did today was the 50% pwc for the 6.6G Cube for the Thailand Imported HM Betta Phoenix. His Betta leaf had fallen off the glass and got that put back.

And the Plakat Thai Betta Picasso got a 2.5G pwc on the 12G Fluval Edge.

---------

Then added Banana Leaves, Guava Leaves, Indian Almond Leaves, and Alder Cones to all the tanks.

Just left them floating on the top of the water and they will start soaking up the water and gradually begin releasing their tannins.

Found one more dead Oto in QT yesterday, the snails ate most of it before I got to it.

Tomorrow's weather will be warming from our winter storm today. Will be water testing the 80G tank probably on Saturday (supposed to be 58F) since it will be warmer to be playing outside with water. Low tonight is supposed to be 7F / ~ -14C brrrrrrr! Below freezing lows for the next 6 days although daytime is warming up nicely over the next few days.

Hoping to grab some strong helper to heft that (praying to be still water tight) tank up to it's high stand after getting the test done!!!:dance:

I probably will be getting the substrate in there and will need to find the stones at the rock yard, and maybe can do that too on Saturday. If not will add them later. There are several misc DW pieces in a plastic tote half sticking out of water so will just toss them in to start (from the previous pond).

Had a couple special stump type DW pieces earmarked from sellers but... the CAS Auction is around the corner and don't want to spend all the aquatic fun money before that. And decided to take the chance on missing out for seeing what else is available there first.

Last edited:
Hello...

Worked on the tanks in the fish room. There's a lot of fish in there. Goldfish and Tropicals. Attached is a photo of some of the tanks.

B

wxYgEer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom