What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Discovered one of my platys has a tumor on its body the size of a pencil eraser. :eek:

The little guy is still eating and chasing females, but I'll probably have to euthanize him soon, so I've started researching best practices.

On the positive side, I was burning some Amazon Visa points this week and bought myself a copy of Randall's "Sunken Gardens: a step by step guide to planted freshwater aquariums." I've done okay, but I'm at the point where I want to tear down both my 20-longs and restart them*. And I'm determined to master red plants. :brows:

*(Just as soon as I get rid of the platys. I am never buying male and female livebearers again. :banghead: )

Karen Randall's book is lovely. Maybe I need to read some more of it!

Opened my starlight sand and it is really a great color, so smooth and fine like superfine sugar. Will get pics of the sands soon. Have been working extra hours and no personal time.

Was going to head to the long drive away lfs, but after calling, it seems they are out of Chili Rasboras AND all dwarf Cories and the alternate lfs is also out of both.

Said they hadn't seen Dwarf Cories on their order list... made me wonder if they were looking for the words Dwarf Cories or by their Latin names??? lol Might need to go to the really far away fish store.

Having plenty to do if ever time off though with 2 tank builds. After watching a professional aquascaper work on a really cool huge stone build I think I might do the sand for the 80G in the front and the aquasoil in back, still considering the options right now. The Starlight sandblasting sand looks pretty good for that 80G plan.

Barliman - My Thai Betta thread I added a link for info about tumors.

Here is a nice looking pic of Phoenix the Imported Thai Betta
60074-albums14756-picture72334.jpg

But here is the body and the growths he is having to live with. Poor guy. He doesn't look to be suffering exactly yet / at this time.
60074-albums14756-picture72333.jpg

Anyhoo...
Finally got a spare minute to start getting caught up on the past 2 weeks of hardly having a spare minute for anything!

Got Phoenix's tank a double pwc. And pics.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...etta-the-experience-367697-3.html#post3533815

Cleaned a little string algae out of the 5G Spec V

Cleaned out the 20G long. It's ready for Guppy /Endlers tank switch.

Cleaned out some moss bowls / plant vases - a Trifle container and a couple vases so far. (A few more to go).

Had to move some things around to possibly put the 20G on a "bar" height table which holds the 5G Spec V and some moss and plant containers and house plants.

Trying to make room for the Gups fry tank 20G long.

Might move Phoenix out to the other room in place of the 12G - and eliminate the 12G Mr. Aqua (presently the fry tank).

Today I moved a filter from my cycled planted community tank into my new tank. The new tank will hold a pair of fancy goldfish (it's a 36g Bowfront) but when they're a bit bigger I'm planning to upgrade. My mom flat out asked why I didn't buy the biggest tank the store had... Lol.

At the moment the tank is barren, just some sand and a couple mystery snails but over the next few days I have a ton of plants arriving and I'm hoping if I supplement the future goldfish with veggies, they won't eat all the live plants. Or maybe they will... Lol. We'll see.

My community tank has a stupid amount of gold and walnut mystery snails, even though I just took a ton of them into Petco. And my platies are beginning to breed, which is fine because most of the fry still get eaten. Population control! My bristlenose pleco use finally getting real whiskers! They're starting to go y-shaped now so pretty sure he's a boy.

It's always fun to the the BN grow up and see the whiskers!

This past week got a warranty replacement light for the Ecoxotic light from the company!

Have been too busy to set it up yet.

Want to get the location for the 80G IM tank decided so I can get it up and running. Have it on the long wall at the end but not too in love with how there are 3 different tank styles and stands...doesn't look as ideal as I would like.

Last minute decision stall...

Got a great bag of plants from fellow AA'er. A couple sizeable Bolbitis and a lovely chunk of Anubias Barteri for the 80G IM African Congo Tetra tank.

Still been too busy with working - messing with the hobby time!

Amazing coincidence Tacit Blues!

It's doing very well temporarily in the 72G btw.

:/ 80G not up yet .

Did 2.pwc - on Thai Betta Phoenix 6.6G cube and the fry Endler Guppy tank. Filled up evap water as well.

Yes it is! I love seeing his whiskers develop.

Today I set up the new filter, spent 20 minutes with an emery board smoothing sharp edges on some of the new tank's decor, put in 8 Marino balls, and planted a couple little bunches of some sort of grassy stuff.

My goldfish should ship out tomorrow morning along with the rest of the plants I ordered.

Had to deal with a multi-hour power outage yesterday. While I had battery-powered air pumps to keep the water circulating, I was kicking myself for not having emergency blankets and heat packs ready to hand. While "it got down to 48" will make many of you laugh, my apartment doesn't hold heat well, and it was getting to be a problem for my fish tanks. Solved that (for the future) with an Amazon order, and also got a solar-power recharger for my various devices.

I still need to order a few of the air pumps. Have an inverter for real emergencies hooked up through the vehicle, but actually implementing a real emergency plan is a bit bumpy in the roll out part.

Getting ready to try out the new replacement Ecoxotic light. Might get another (the 48") for the big tank. One remote pretty much runs 4 lights I already have plus there is one listed which is economical. Until and if I ever go for a CO2 set up, it would make do.

The other part is I never figured out the lighting schedule, and programming. I just haven't had a slow spot to delve into it. Since the equipment stuff isn't my strong suit, I shy off from taking the time to get it figured out. :eek:

~~~~~~~~~~~

On numerous occasions, I have tried to capture my favorite male Endler to put in with the females. And all the other fish basically swim INTO the net and he is so sneaky and scoot right away out of reach. It is in the giant wine glass and the new light has made the Lily grow extra leaves and so many DWL, 3 inches thick at the top it is near impossible. I even left the net in there about a week taking some opportunities for capture but nope! Always gets away.

Bought a few more terrarium glass containers from the thrift stores over the past few weeks. Always have my eye out for something interesting.

My moss balls arrived from one seller and looking really nice, got mini sized ones for some friends to make planted vases in a couple weeks (too busy and had to reschedule that too!).

The one order from Luffy moss balls arrived mis-labeled as 20 .25" moss balls was really just 5+1, they immediately got me a new order of 20 little cuties - arrived in 2 days. So I was very happy with the FAST service correction of the error.

Have to rinse them off and get them into a bowl. These arrived in a x-small deli type container. The first batch of mislabeled ones were sealed in a little plastic bag like a granola bar, and DID stink like sewer mud, but were clean, healthy looking and bright green. Haven't opened these new ones yet.

~~~~~~
Cleaning off the stand for the 80G of all the lighting fixture boxes, packing material and papers and leveling it in a few minutes. That means the next strong person to walk in can help me lift it on top!!!

Although I am not exactly happy with the location / layout of the tanks in the room, I will probably just go with it.

The Powder Orange Isopods, and Springtails colonies are doing really well. Although I don't really have a reason to keep the "colonies" if they survive in the terrariums, I am not sure if I will or not. Kinda wanted the Zebra type for the other terrarium I will be building. Still thinking of selling off a few starter colonies to recoup the cost of getting them. Maybe posting local on CL.

Yes. Tried out (presently trying it out all day) the new light and seem to have something maybe with it, it was flashing and now seems fine?????

And then was wiping the top of the SW tank (and general scurrying around) and came back to see that my coffee cup / a travel style with lid had tipped over and spilled about 8 ounces of coffee with cream into the SW tank - oof. :eek:

Proceeded to do a water change and added carbon to the two HOB filters and some accu-clear to help with the water. A few hours later there are no dead fish yet and the tube worm filter feeders are out and filtering. And the clarity has improved maybe 60-70% - looks like a just added calcium to the tank (er - milk).

Also scraped all the Coralline algae off the front and viewing side of the tank. Wiped the glass.

Thinking to maybe get the Guppy fry into the Water box tank for now since it isn't even being used except to hold some plants. Will do a water change and get new water in there, and take down the 12G Mr. Aqua I think. Maybe today if I can get it done.

Moved 3 male nearly adult Endler/Guppies to the 72G. All the female Guppy/Endlers which are just over half inch are all preggo. Not even close to full size yet. Dang! One male wasn't fully patterned but since he was at least an inch and not preggo I knew it was a male.

Never a dull moment, eh?

Added some filter floss to "grab" particles to work with the water treatment.

The water became sparkly clear and it seems all the creatures are alive - from fish to snails to tiny filter tube feeders. My salinity is down a little so will add in a bit more salt water mix tomorrow.

Yay for surviving the creamed coffee incident!

SW fish are doing great.

And I did this today
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...lear-30g-fw-autumnsky-371189.html#post3534700

I had to spend such a long time trying to clean out the 12G and catch 6 Kuhli Loaches and a couple Otos. Kuhlis went to the 72G to hang out with the others.

Otos and the Guppies went to the new 30G Waterbox tank. For awhile - Shrimp tank is on hold due to extended family and traveling / time issues upcoming.

It isn't finished being scaped, need to adjust some plants and the stones tiny small and maybe some medium still need to be added. Planning on finding my old AC 110 to put on there with all the feeding of baby Guppies/ Endlers, or get a new one. (I think the old one's motor was iffy)

Added some MTS to the old substrate in a 3G jar and a few plants for a temporary solution to keep the substrate active and plants with light.

Added my HYDROCOTYLE TRIPARTITA 'JAPAN' - Tissue culture previously upgraded bigger plastic cup to a small glass ginger jar with some Amazonia and sand at the bottom still with just a half inch of water.

Added more SW to up the salinity in the FW tank.

tank build - cloudy from just getting the water in with the fish...
60074-albums14791-picture72346.jpg

Back
Top Bottom